Front End Noise: '10 KK Renegade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Front End Noise: '10 KK Renegade

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Gonkulator
2010 KK Liberty 

Front End Noise: '10 KK Renegade

First off, new to the forum. Can't wait to get into it more. Bought a 2010 Liberty Renegade this past summer that had only 4,500 miles on it. Currently has 20,000.

I have been hearing and slightly feeling a noise on the driver side shortly after putting the Jeep in drive. It feels like it's right below my feet around the transfer case area (I believe). It is a quick "thud-thud-thud-thud-thud" that can faintly be heard and felt from the floor only. Passengers never hear it and it can't be felt through the brake/gas pedals or the steering wheel.

I've climbed underneath several times but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I've seem similar threads about front end noise but they are hearing/feeling stuff from the passenger side only and it's a constant noise/sound.

Any ideas?

Gonkulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does it only happen when you first put it in drive after cold startup, or every time you put it in drive, hot or cold?

Does it do it when you accelerate away from a stop every time?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Gonkulator
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Does it only happen when you first put it in drive after cold startup, or every time you put it in drive, hot or cold?

Does it do it when you accelerate away from a stop every time?
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was doing some more testing this past weekend.

I started noticing the noise right around the season change so I can't say whether or not it's a cold/hot/both only thing.

It only happens after I start it up, put it in drive, and hit 15mph. It does this only when I take the vehicle out of park and only after it has been sitting with the engine off. It only does this once per "trip" and is not a constant during my commute from A to B.

Since it's under warranty still I'm going to make an appointment for them to look at it, though I have a feeling I'm just going to get some stupid answer such as "we couldn't replicate it".
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Gonkulator
2010 KK Liberty 

Anyone?
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It seems like it might just be a cold torque converter quirk. Mine has had an imperceptible wierdness during the initial cold drivaway until it shifts to second for the first time. Because of the shape of our street, I have to accelerate and deccelerate twice before I can get to the speed needed to cause the trans to shift up.

I've read that in order to improve gas mileage these days, manufacturers have changed the stall speeds of torque converters to be "looser" at idle in order to reduce parasitic drag on the engine. You know that ability to let off the brake and you just start to move forward under idle that would hold you on a slight incline without rolling back? This is why they had to put that "hill start assist" two second brake release delay. Drivers were complaining about rolling backward and the delays to move forward caused by the combination of loose TC and drive by wire delay.
This TC "loosness" comes with a little shudder like you are experiencing.
That would be my guess.
I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.