Front Driver Side Tire Change Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Front Driver Side Tire Change Issue

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
KevinNJ25

Front Driver Side Tire Change Issue

I woke up this morning to find my front driver side tire flat. As instructed I cracked the lugs, raised the vehicle and finally fully unscrewed the lugs. Tire was ~2-3" off the ground at this time. I used every bit of stength but the tire wouldnt seperate from the hub.

I read and reread the directions in the owners manual 3 times and know I am doing everything correct.

What the heck?

KevinNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

probably rust. kick it a few times to free it up.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
KevinNJ25

I'll give it a swift few kicks after work...thanks for the input
KevinNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

3 lb hammer against the tire ( not wheel ) will knock it loose
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
khalilw
2011 KK Liberty 

Same thing happened to me years ago with my old car, a Chevrolet Optra, what I did was spill some water over the wheel hub and kick the tire everywhere, after 30 kicks and a 2Lts bottle of water, the tire came off.
khalilw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
3 lb hammer against the tire ( not wheel ) will knock it loose
x2
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
AtTheHelm

Donkey kick
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
JeepGeezer
2012 KK Liberty 

Remember that jack stability is factor here in kicking/hammering. If light kicking/hammering does not loosen the wheel, does it make sense to then carefully apply a very small amount WD-40/rust penetrant at lug-wheel points first and lightly/moderately tap on tire all the way around to help penetrate rust? (Taking great care not to get penetrant on rotor/pad-rub area!!!) Let penetrant work a few minutes and then try again to lightly/moderately tap/kick wheel to remove it?
JeepGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Water nor WD-40 will not do much at all to loosen a wheel , may as well pee on them
You need something to knock the rust right away
PB Blaster or Aerokroil works well
but still the best thing is a couple of good smacks with a 3 lb or larger hammer
was in the tire business long enough to know there's very few that won't come off that way

Plus how long has it been since you rotated your tires, if like you should every 3-4000 miles no way should it be rusted on
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Plus how long has it been since you rotated your tires, if like you should every 3-4000 miles no way should it be rusted on
x2.........................

If I have to break out my 4lbs deadblow to take your wheel/tires off due to corrosion you need to wash your vehicle better(not just the painted shiny part) and rotate your tires more often.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Set tire back on ground, turn wheel just a bit, pop goes the wheel.....I had to do this for a lady once on the side of the road as there was no other way to break the wheel free. Worked like a charm, no hammer required.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
JeepGeezer
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Set tire back on ground, turn wheel just a bit, pop goes the wheel.....I had to do this for a lady once on the side of the road as there was no other way to break the wheel free. Worked like a charm, no hammer required.
I'm assuming you do the above with wheel nuts loosened a bit, like finger-tight, or? I have always rotated tires regularly and have never had the original poster's problem, but would like to more-precisely understand this tecnique for breaking loose stuck wheel, just in case!!! When I have rotated tires I also often flushed brakes/inspected the surrounding areas (brake hoses, struts/shocks, etc for cracks, leaks, rubbing. etc.) while the wheels are off, and steel brushed the rotor-wheel faces as a best practice for better contact, etc.

(I have often successfully used the WD-40 application/tapping/waiting method for stuck threads on various other items, tho.)
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGeezer View Post
I'm assuming you do the above with wheel nuts loosened a bit, like finger-tight, or? I have always rotated tires regularly and have never had the original poster's problem, but would like to more-precisely understand this tecnique for breaking loose stuck wheel, just in case!!! When I have rotated tires I also often flushed brakes/inspected the surrounding areas (brake hoses, struts/shocks, etc for cracks, leaks, rubbing. etc.) while the wheels are off, and steel brushed the rotor-wheel faces as a best practice for better contact, etc.

(I have often successfully used the WD-40 application/tapping/waiting method for stuck threads on various other items, tho.)
Yes the lugs were loose, but not so loose the wheel was going to fall off. I had kicked the tire so hard it almost knocked the PT Cruiser off the jack, so I decided to try a different route, so I set it on the ground, with the lugs on a bit, then turned the wheel, slightly....popped right off.

Anti-seize is always your friend.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
JeepGeezer
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Yes the lugs were loose, but not so loose the wheel was going to fall off. I had kicked the tire so hard it almost knocked the PT Cruiser off the jack, so I decided to try a different route, so I set it on the ground, with the lugs on a bit, then turned the wheel, slightly....popped right off.

Anti-seize is always your friend.
Got it now! Makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGeezer View Post
Got it now! Makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Of course this only works on the front tires......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.