Front axle seal leaking, help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Front axle seal leaking, help!!

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
priebe
2008 KK Liberty 

Front axle seal leaking, help!!

Hey all. I purchased a used 08 KK 4x4 in August of last year. I had to lose my beloved XJ as she was just getting too old and I knew something major was on the horizon which I did not want to deal with. The KK only had 33k at the time and just clicked over 44k last week. In April I put on the Skyjacker 2” leveling kit (springs and shocks). I know it is not the best kit and yes it did not level out like I had wanted. So this past weekend I went in to install Al’s half inch lower clevis spacers and made things look much better. While I was in there I notice the driver’s side axle output shaft seal appears to be leaking. It is weeping gear oil onto the inner CV shaft and slinging it in the fender well and leaking down to the bottom of the pumpkin. Since neither Haynes nor Chiltons has produced a service manual for the KK yet I’d be guessing on this job. How much of a PITA can it be? Is there a breather on the front diff which could be blocked and forcing oil out this seal? I called my local dealer to ask for a quote and I could tell the services writers eyes turned to dollar signs when he told me $600+ to replace the seal with at least 6 hours’ of work. Can that be true? Anyone ever done this job or replaced a CV shaft? Is this something I can do in the drive way or should I bite the bullet?

priebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Inner CV boot replacement:

REMOVAL

1. Clamp shaft in a vise (with soft jaws) and support C/V joint (1).
2. Remove clamps with a cut-off wheel or grinder.
3. Slide boot down (2) the shaft.

4. Remove lubricant from housing (1) to expose the C/V snap ring (2) and remove snap ring.

5. Remove bearings (4) from the cage (1).
6. Rotate cage (1) 30 and slide cage off the inner race (2) and down the shaft (3).

7. Remove spread inner race (1) snap ring (4) and remove race (1) from the shaft (3).
8. Remove boot from the shaft and discard.

9. Clean and inspect housing (1), cage (2), bearings (3), housing snap-ring (4), inner race snap-ring (5) and inner race (6) for wear or damage.

INSTALLATION

1. Apply a coat of grease supplied with the joint/boot to the C/V joint components before assembling them.
2. Place new clamps on the new boot and slide boot down the shaft.
3. Slide cage (2) onto the shaft (1) with the small diameter (3) end towards the boot.

4. Install the inner race (1) onto the shaft (3). Pull on the race to verify snap ring has engaged.

5. Align cage (1) with the inner race (2) and slide over the race.
6. Turn the cage 30 to align the cage windows (4) with the race (2).

7. Apply grease to the inner race and bearings and install the bearings.
8. Apply grease to the housing bore (4) then install the bearing assembly (2) into the housing (1).
9. Install the housing snap ring (3) and verify it is seated in the groove.
10. Fill the housing and boot with the remaining grease.
11. Slide the boot onto the C/V housing into its original position. Ensure boot is not twisted and remove any excess air.
12. Secure both boot clamps with Clamp Installer C-4975A. Place tool on clamp bridge and tighten tool until the jaws of the tool are closed.

Sorry, pics wouldn't show up
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its possible to do in your driveway if you have an "awesome set of tools" and some experience. Personally I would pay the $600 and get a warranty on the work. And I've done the same job on my trooper.
If you have access to a lift, its nowhere near as much of a chore.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drednot View Post
its possible to do in your driveway if you have an "awesome set of tools" and some experience. Personally i would pay the $600 and get a warranty on the work. And i've done the same job on my trooper.
If you have access to a lift, its nowhere near as much of a chore.
+1
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.