Foggy windows,smell antifreeze but still have heat?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Foggy windows,smell antifreeze but still have heat?!?!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
strace
2009 KK Liberty 

Foggy windows,smell antifreeze but still have heat?!?!

Started a few days ago...windows fogging up very badly and began to notice an odor of antifreeze. Defroster is doing noting to clear up the windows and there is airflow comming from defroster and all vents. This usually means heater core is shot from what I've heard. I still have HOT heat and there is no antifreeze on the floor boards/carpet, dropped the glove box today and did not locate any antifreeze in that area. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Getting very hard to drive due to the fact that this happens 5 minutes after the jeep is started

strace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Definitely sounds like a heater core.
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
1989comanche
1989 MJ Comanche 

Definitely sounds like your heater core is getting ready to take a dump on you.
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989comanche View Post
Definitely sounds like your heater core is getting ready to take a dump on you.
Yes, heater core. The key words here "getting ready". Even a very small leak will produce a smell. One small enough to cause fogging and smell but not yet large enough to dump the engine coolant inside.

I always like to take the "if it was mine" approach. So, I would double check all the hoses and components of the cooling system under the hood. When they check out I would then do an "old school" trick. Remove the inlet and outlet hoses and make up a temporary bypass loop. Give it some time and see if the smell dissipates and the fogging gets better. If so, then order a heater core and start taking things apart behind the dash to figure out what is leaking. Leave the heater core in it's packaging just in case it is a bad line or something so you can return it.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
strace
2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the info. Knowing my luck its gunna take a dump on me and totally blow out in the next 5 minutes. Starting to get warm around my parts so maybe I'll just bypass it and save up the $$ for next fall fix
strace is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.