JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Flickering Headlights ??? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/flickering-headlights-1007989/)

mick1836 04-07-2010 10:39 AM

Flickering Headlights ???

In Oct 2007 my wife and I visited the USA our intention to buy an RV and car to tour the USA & Canada. We purchased the brand new shape 2007 Jeep Liberty Ltd KK model.

Now it was very rare that we drove the Jeep at night but on those occasions I noticed as the headlight focused on the rear of a car in front that the beam appeared to ‘flicker’

On one occasion ALL the lights went out for a split second.

I am not an auto electrician but suspected it to be a faulty light switch? :dunno:

We shipped both vehicles back to the UK in August 2010 and still noted the lights flickering.

Since then there have been other electrical problems which may be related?

The clock display and if switch on the radio switching off and on together with ALL the illuminated controls with the radio/CD unit.

Several times now ALL the headlights and ALL dash lights have gone out for a split second.

More recently whilst driving in day light I noticed the green odometer and auto gear engaged display also flickering together with the clock display going on & off.

Now my main concern is that the fault may well be a bad connection somewhere which if left unattended may well result in a fire.

The Jeep has so far being back to a UK Jeep dealer who failed to cure the problem, can you please help?

Mick

Elt31987 04-07-2010 01:11 PM

Have you tried a Brand New Battery? Jeeps go haywire if a battery is not working properly.

mick1836 04-07-2010 03:57 PM

Elt31987,

When I first noticed the flickering the car wasn't one year old,but then I know that even new batteries can fail in less than 1 year.

Because we also tow the Jeep 4 down behind the RV I also installed an isolator switch on the battery terminal, I shall also check that.

Please keep any ideas coming. :thumbsup:

Mick

richd 04-07-2010 09:30 PM

There is a TSB for this,I think the fix is the multifunctional switch(headlight):

Make : JEEPModel : LIBERTYYear : 2007Manufacturer : CHRYSLER GROUP LLC Service Bulletin Number : 0801607Date of Bulletin : JUN 09, 2007NHTSA Item Number : 10022181 Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANELSummary :
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/images/spacer.gif INSTRUMENT PANEL INDICATOR LAMPS FLICKER. *KB

mick1836 04-08-2010 12:26 AM

Ricd,

Thanks this is exactly the type of answer I have been looking for, I shall contact the UK Jeep dealer I visited and pass on that bulletin information you have supplied.........Thanks again.

Mick:2thumbsup:

richd 04-08-2010 11:54 AM

mick1836-I dont know why the dealer didnt know this,its their job to check the TSB when they have a vehicle with a problem.I have read about this problem a couple times this year so it seem like a common problem.When I go in for service,I bring in the TSB with me so they cant say,we cant duplicate the problem.Im working right now about a TSB for fueling problem on my 08 Liberty with my dealer.The TSB also includes your 07 Liberty.Good Luck and hope you get your problem solved.

mick1836 04-08-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richd (Post 9246609)
mick1836-I dont know why the dealer didnt know this,its their job to check the TSB when they have a vehicle with a problem.

Richd,

Don't forget this was a UK Jeep dealer.

When we first visited this dealer I told him the full story of how we had bought,registered and drove it around the USA & Canada behind an RV for two years before we shipped it in Aug 2009, I expected him to show me the door as technically it was a 'grey import' ( Grey import vehicles are new or used motor vehicles and motorcycles legally imported from another country through channels other than the maker's official distribution system.)

But NO in fact he took the VIN number and a couple of minuets later told us it was still under warranty.

The Jeep was booked in however a few days before we were contacted to be told that because the Jeep had been registered in the US the warranty wasn't applicable in the UK

Now here in the UK the US 2008 Jeep Liberty KK is the New 2008 UK Jeep Cherokee. Now our Liberty may be the only one in the UK so I doubt if any TSB would be sent here?

can you help with a link where I can find the full official TSB so that I can print it off and take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Mick

richd 04-08-2010 01:34 PM

Mick-I dont have the full TSB for that year.Just show them what I put up,and they should be able to find the TSB through Chrysler data base.This is the bulletin #0801607,and that should be all they need to find it.I just found this so this should help:

NUMBER: 08-016-07

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: June 9, 2007

SUBJECT:
Instrument Panel Indicator Lamps Flicker

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the Body Control Module.

MODELS:

2006-2007 (KJ) Liberty

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience a brief indicator lamp flicker on the instrument panel periodically. Symptoms may include:

Cruise Lamp - brief flicker
Traction/ESP Lamp - brief flicker
Overdrive Lockout Lamp - brief flicker
Trans Over Temp lamp - brief flicker
Check Fuel Cap And Chime - brief flicker
Malfunction Indicator Lamp - brief flicker

mick1836 04-09-2010 12:18 AM

Richd,

Thank you very much for your help, I shall write back with how I get on, fingers & toes crossed.

Mick

mick1836 04-09-2010 12:23 AM

Richd,

Thank you very much for your help, I shall write back with how I get on, fingers & toes crossed.

Mick

metallicjeep 04-09-2010 08:58 AM

I'm wondering if that TSB would be for the problem I have since I bought my 2008 KK. From the day I bought it the headlights have flickered slightly. Took it in..of course they checked it out and said no problem..but it has continued to do it every time I put on the headlights for 2 years. Nothing flickers on the instrument panel.....just the headlights.....???? Think it's part of that TSB??

mick1836 04-09-2010 12:53 PM

Metallicjeep,

Have your headlights ever gone off for a split second?

I am no auto electrician but I do know that the lighting switch plays a major part for the headlights,side lights (you guys call them parking lights) and ALL the instrumentation illumination lights.

As you are in the States my question to your dealer as Richd pointed out "Why haven't they checked the TSB which appears to address your and my problem exactly?

Mick

richd 04-09-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicjeep (Post 9252281)
I'm wondering if that TSB would be for the problem I have since I bought my 2008 KK. From the day I bought it the headlights have flickered slightly. Took it in..of course they checked it out and said no problem..but it has continued to do it every time I put on the headlights for 2 years. Nothing flickers on the instrument panel.....just the headlights.....???? Think it's part of that TSB??

If yours doesnt have the flickering dash lights,you may have a differant problem then Mick has.The TSB mentions dash lights.Yours could be the multifunctional switch(headlight).The TSB mentions BCM which is what controls the dash and lights on dash.

bvanhorn52 08-31-2013 08:53 AM

Jeep Headlight and dash flicker

Could be a bad connection in the diagnostice connector under the dash. This is hard to find because plugging in the diagnostic tool corrects the problem and it doesn't show up. You can find it by wiggling the connector while driving down the road. It is below the steering wheel so the passenger will have to do it.

The time now is 04:49 AM.