Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Flat flippin tire

816 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lanesliberty 
#1 ·
So in the middle of running errands we come out to find a flat tire on my 12 sport. I got the temp tire on and will have my tire looked at tomorrow. So I have two questions.
1 what kind of tire for everyday driving asphalt and very occasionally the gravel drive way.
2 how do I find out exactly what size rim is in my jeep and what size tire it will fit. We bought it used from a reputable dealer so I believe thy are stock rims.

#2 ·
The sidewall of the tire has all the information about the tire on it; tire size, load range, max psi, etc. A great all-year tire is the General Grabber HTS, Yokohama Geolandar HT-S, and Firestone Destination LE2. They're everyday quiet/smooth enough for everyday driving and yet aggressive enough to get you through any weather you may come across.

#3 ·
Hopefully the garage can fix your flat tire so you don't need to buy a new one. Fixing it is possible if it has a puncture wound, like from a nail, and only costs about $20.

To answer your question, look at the lettering on the tire. It will say something like 225/75/R16 for the tire size. The last number is the rim diameter in inches, and in this example it is a 16 inch rim. Stock Sport KK's had 16's. Limiteds had 17's or 18's, and Jets had even up to 20's I think. If you are not planning on lifting your Jeep, stay with the same tire size. Tire options available will depend on your rims. There are many more out there for the 16's and 17's than the 18's or 20's. TireRack.com is a good place to browse.

#4 ·
If you have a stock Sport the rim size is 16x7 and if they are the original Good Year Wrangler ST's then they are 225/60-16 tires. I have the Firestone Destination LE2 235/70-16's on my '02 Sport and really like the tire a lot. I'm going to be putting them on my KK as well shortly as the Wranglers are getting close to the wear indicator bars at 25,000 miles. Firestone does suggest that because of the unique tread pattern on the LE2's that you replace them in pairs on the same axle.

#5 ·
Stock size is 225/75-16.

Either way, pretty much what has been said. I'd recommend an all-terrain. If you never leave the road keep it with something nice. No need to go as aggressive as Duratracs or BFG A/Ts. Do you get any snow where you live?

#7 ·
Ok thanks so much y'all. The tires on it now are wrangler st 225 75 16. Gonna look into the tires y'all suggested. They have probably 43000 miles on them. Don't know for sure if the tires were changed from stock. We've had it a year. I am gonna try an get it fixed until I can replace all of them at once. I don't like buying one tire at a time. May end up having to do back two the. Front two.

#8 ·
If its a two wheel drive that will work ( replacing two at a time)
4 wheel drive replace all 4 at the same time unless you want problems

and if going to a say Firestone don't use the LE use at least the Destination ATs

#9 ·
43k on the Stock Wrangler ST's Wow that must be a record! Mine were wearing fast and I was in the same situation as you except my flat happened in my garage. It ended up being an old road plug came out..

I went with Cooper Discoverer HTP which has been a great Highway tire.

#11 ·
LKWJEEPER said:
43k on the Stock Wrangler ST's Wow that must be a record! Mine were wearing fast and I was in the same situation as you except my flat happened in my garage. It ended up being an old road plug came out.. I went with Cooper Discoverer HTP which has been a great Highway tire.
I don't know for a fact that these are the original tires. Jeep has 43000 on od now. Got it when it was 28000ish.

I was able to get the tire plugged at my local shop I go to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.