Flat flippin tire - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
lanesliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Flat flippin tire

So in the middle of running errands we come out to find a flat tire on my 12 sport. I got the temp tire on and will have my tire looked at tomorrow. So I have two questions.
1 what kind of tire for everyday driving asphalt and very occasionally the gravel drive way.
2 how do I find out exactly what size rim is in my jeep and what size tire it will fit. We bought it used from a reputable dealer so I believe thy are stock rims.

lanesliberty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
NAMoulton
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Harrisonburg
Posts: 512
The sidewall of the tire has all the information about the tire on it; tire size, load range, max psi, etc. A great all-year tire is the General Grabber HTS, Yokohama Geolandar HT-S, and Firestone Destination LE2. They're everyday quiet/smooth enough for everyday driving and yet aggressive enough to get you through any weather you may come across.
NAMoulton is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 PM
lfhoward
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 799
Hopefully the garage can fix your flat tire so you don't need to buy a new one. Fixing it is possible if it has a puncture wound, like from a nail, and only costs about $20.

To answer your question, look at the lettering on the tire. It will say something like 225/75/R16 for the tire size. The last number is the rim diameter in inches, and in this example it is a 16 inch rim. Stock Sport KK's had 16's. Limiteds had 17's or 18's, and Jets had even up to 20's I think. If you are not planning on lifting your Jeep, stay with the same tire size. Tire options available will depend on your rims. There are many more out there for the 16's and 17's than the 18's or 20's. TireRack.com is a good place to browse.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
lfhoward is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 PM
DarkSport11
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Farmingville
Posts: 205
If you have a stock Sport the rim size is 16x7 and if they are the original Good Year Wrangler ST's then they are 225/60-16 tires. I have the Firestone Destination LE2 235/70-16's on my '02 Sport and really like the tire a lot. I'm going to be putting them on my KK as well shortly as the Wranglers are getting close to the wear indicator bars at 25,000 miles. Firestone does suggest that because of the unique tread pattern on the LE2's that you replace them in pairs on the same axle.

2011 KK Sport 4X4 in Dark Charcoal Pearlcoat
DarkSport11 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Bmxer524
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lindenhurst
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet02Sport View Post
If you have a stock Sport the rim size is 16x7 and if they are the original Good Year Wrangler ST's then they are 225/60-16 tires. I have the Firestone Destination LE2 235/70-16's on my '02 Sport and really like the tire a lot. I'm going to be putting them on my KK as well shortly as the Wranglers are getting close to the wear indicator bars at 25,000 miles. Firestone does suggest that because of the unique tread pattern on the LE2's that you replace them in pairs on the same axle.
Stock size is 225/75-16.

Either way, pretty much what has been said. I'd recommend an all-terrain. If you never leave the road keep it with something nice. No need to go as aggressive as Duratracs or BFG A/Ts. Do you get any snow where you live?

2011 KK - Skyslider - JBA Adjust-A-Strut - OME 731 - Bilstein Shocks - JBA UCA- 245/75-16 Duratracs
Bmxer524 is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 AM
DarkSport11
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Farmingville
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
Stock size is 225/75-16.

Either way, pretty much what has been said. I'd recommend an all-terrain. If you never leave the road keep it with something nice. No need to go as aggressive as Duratracs or BFG A/Ts. Do you get any snow where you live?
Yep 225/75-16 is correct, a typo on my part.

2011 KK Sport 4X4 in Dark Charcoal Pearlcoat
DarkSport11 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
lanesliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Ok thanks so much y'all. The tires on it now are wrangler st 225 75 16. Gonna look into the tires y'all suggested. They have probably 43000 miles on them. Don't know for sure if the tires were changed from stock. We've had it a year. I am gonna try an get it fixed until I can replace all of them at once. I don't like buying one tire at a time. May end up having to do back two the. Front two.
lanesliberty is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Kilimanjaro,Tanzania
Posts: 5,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesliberty View Post
Ok thanks so much y'all. The tires on it now are wrangler st 225 75 16. Gonna look into the tires y'all suggested. They have probably 43000 miles on them. Don't know for sure if the tires were changed from stock. We've had it a year. I am gonna try an get it fixed until I can replace all of them at once. I don't like buying one tire at a time. May end up having to do back two the. Front two.
If its a two wheel drive that will work ( replacing two at a time)
4 wheel drive replace all 4 at the same time unless you want problems

and if going to a say Firestone don't use the LE use at least the Destination ATs

04 KJ 4.5 JBA lift, 03 KJ 2.5 JBA coilovers,
tommudd is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
LKWJEEPER
Registered User
2009 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clover
Posts: 1,060
43k on the Stock Wrangler ST's Wow that must be a record! Mine were wearing fast and I was in the same situation as you except my flat happened in my garage. It ended up being an old road plug came out..

I went with Cooper Discoverer HTP which has been a great Highway tire.
LKWJEEPER is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Reskar
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: west hartford
Posts: 124
i second the destination ATs they have been great to me.
Reskar is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
lanesliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER
43k on the Stock Wrangler ST's Wow that must be a record! Mine were wearing fast and I was in the same situation as you except my flat happened in my garage. It ended up being an old road plug came out.. I went with Cooper Discoverer HTP which has been a great Highway tire.
I don't know for a fact that these are the original tires. Jeep has 43000 on od now. Got it when it was 28000ish.

I was able to get the tire plugged at my local shop I go to.
lanesliberty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome