First Time in th Snow- Griding Noise??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > First Time in th Snow- Griding Noise???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
mike79

First Time in th Snow- Griding Noise???

We got about two feet of snow today, and couldn't wait to go out in the Jeep. Got her out (09KK) , and I noticed that when I was trying to start off, I heard a grinding noise coming from the front end when in 4hi- only when shes slipping. I figured its the ESP, so I turn that off but when I try to move out of the heavy stuff, again, hear the noise and the ESP light comes on- and the Jeep doesnt really move that well. Now what really boggles my mind is if I throw it in two wheel, I hear the same grinding noise from the front when I gun it a bit.

What is this sound? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by mike79; 12-20-2009 at 09:35 AM..
mike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If its real slippy, the traction control (not ESP), will sound something like the ABS working when skidding, only louder. Maybe that's what you are hearing. It will sound like coming from the front (up through the floorboards/dash) even though its the rear wheel traction control being activated, the ABS controller being in the engine compartment. I don't think you can turn traction control off. And ESP doesn't turn off completely, it has sensitive and less sensitive settings. One of the things traction control does is reduce the throttle when all wheels are spinning. The light coming on, I think, is telling you its sensors have detected slip and is acting on it.

I hear the only way to turn everything off is to pull the ABS fuse.

If its really grinding, then perhaps you have a case malfunction.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
mike79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
If its real slippy, the traction control (not ESP), will sound something like the ABS working when skidding, only louder. Maybe that's what you are hearing. It will sound like coming from the front (up through the floorboards/dash) even though its the rear wheel traction control being activated, the ABS controller being in the engine compartment. I don't think you can turn traction control off. And ESP doesn't turn off completely, it has sensitive and less sensitive settings. One of the things traction control does is reduce the throttle when all wheels are spinning. The light coming on, I think, is telling you its sensors have detected slip and is acting on it.

What you are describing makes sense, and I think thats what it is. I just wanted to make sure. Its a shame that you cant totally turn off the ESP without having to yank a fuse.

Thanks!

And heres a pic of the Jeep in the snow for good measure.
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
diggerfreek
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

doubt it is a failure. Best thing to do is just leave the esp button alone as it is more use full if you have stock tires. It will greatly reduce wheel spin which will improve your traction. Also, if you happen to start to slide sideways, the jeep will attempt to correct your coarse and straighten you out.

The noise you are hearing is just the ABS pump modulating. It will sound louder when cold.

The only time I would play with the esp button is if you HAVE TO make it through a light and need full throttle or when you want learn to limits of your KK...... In most cases, the esp/traction control will be of more help to you...
diggerfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
mike79

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerfreek View Post
doubt it is a failure. Best thing to do is just leave the esp button alone as it is more use full if you have stock tires. It will greatly reduce wheel spin which will improve your traction. Also, if you happen to start to slide sideways, the jeep will attempt to correct your coarse and straighten you out.

The noise you are hearing is just the ABS pump modulating. It will sound louder when cold.

The only time I would play with the esp button is if you HAVE TO make it through a light and need full throttle or when you want learn to limits of your KK...... In most cases, the esp/traction control will be of more help to you...
I was attempting to isolate which system was making the noise, as the system would engage with the ESP both on and off, in either 2hi or 4hi. I just found it odd that I was unable to turn it off and allow all 4 tires to spin freely without the system engaging (ie when i got into a thick snow bank and was trying to get out- the system was engaging from a standstill almost instantly which made it harder to get out of the deep snow)
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

If you really need it you can put it in 4Low and the traction control mode allows a lot more wheel spin.
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Rampage
2006 KJ Liberty 

i found a similar thing going on when i turned my esp off and was sliding it sideways through the snow....the lights would dim slightly everytime it started making that noise, i figured it was one of the stability controls kicking in cause as soon as i heard it the jeep wouldnt slide as well and it would start to straighten out
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
coder
2010 KK Liberty 

[I got this note from the manual pg. 352]
The ESP Control System will make buzzing or clicking
sounds when it is active. This is normal; the sounds
will stop when ESP becomes inactive following the
maneuver that caused the ESP activation.

[Different ESP Modes]
  • ESP On - (Default setting for normal driving)
  • Partial Off - (Intended for driving in deep snow, sand, or gravel. This mode allows for more wheel spin than what ESP normally allows)
  • ESP Off - (Intended for off-highway and off-road use when ESP stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. Automatically switches to this mode in 4WD LOW)
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
mike79

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
[I got this note from the manual pg. 352]
The ESP Control System will make buzzing or clicking
sounds when it is active. This is normal; the sounds
will stop when ESP becomes inactive following the
maneuver that caused the ESP activation.

[Different ESP Modes]
  • ESP On - (Default setting for normal driving)
  • Partial Off - (Intended for driving in deep snow, sand, or gravel. This mode allows for more wheel spin than what ESP normally allows)
  • ESP Off - (Intended for off-highway and off-road use when ESP stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. Automatically switches to this mode in 4WD LOW)
Well that answers it! Thank you sir!
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

I found my way to this forum due to how horrible my stock tires are on new kk 09. I honestly cant believe how bad the wrangler ST's actually are. Why on earth would they put these on "trail rated" jeep.

i didnt even bother driving in the 2 ft of snow we got in southeastern ct.

Other than that Im loving the thing.
aimetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
mike79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
I found my way to this forum due to how horrible my stock tires are on new kk 09. I honestly cant believe how bad the wrangler ST's actually are. Why on earth would they put these on "trail rated" jeep.

Which model kk do you have? I have the Rocky Mountain, and I really cant complain- I am also coming from a car that was scary in the snow so I could be a bit bias.
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimetti View Post

It costs less money for Chrysler
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

ive had a few cars in the last 5 years ,

06 wrx which was amazing in the snow
08 legacy also great

now have the 09 kk sport w/ popular package not sure if that effects the tires or not I forgot but it comes with the 225 75 16 wrangler ST tires. They are even worse than the stock re92s found on the wrx i had. Even in light mist my tires are spinning all over the place. I have read quite a bit on here the last few weeks and have ideas of replacements , cant come soon enough

Overall though I am really enjoying the liberty. Few years ago I would never thought id buy one but glad I did.
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

I have the Kk sport with the 225 75 16 wrangler st tires.

and ya elt31987 to bad it always comes down to that - 26k+ or whatever it costs and they put the worst tires on it possible.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.