First Jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > First Jeep!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 09-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Seeker28

First Jeep!

Hey everyone I'm new to Jeeps, my first is a 2012 Liberty Artic, since I'm a novice to all things Jeep is there anything that a Beginner like myself should know about that?

Seeker28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Be sure to have fun and enjoy it.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
theotherone
2008 KK Liberty 

Don't engage 4wd on pavement. If you have a couple of inches of snow between the pavement and the tires it can be a bit helpful. Oh, and 4wd won't help you stop but it'll sure get you going fast enough to get you into trouble. There's a difference between 4wd and AWD. What you have is a 4wd vehicle. Ever notice how many SUV's you see in the ditch on nasty winter mornings?

Never, ever, use a tow strap with metal hooks on the end. Just don't do it. They really hurt when they get away from you. Use the nylon ones with the loops sewn into the ends. Or a chain. Or both.

Jeeps are meant to be used like Jeeps. Just don't go hog wild with a new stock vehicle and you'll be able to do things that will amaze you. The Liberty is every bit as good as the old Cherokee they replaced. It's no Wrangler but it'll get you there if you use your head. There's no shame in walking a section first before driving through it. As the KK's start showing up as used cars at a relatively inexpensive price you'll see all sorts of weird modifications starting to happen. Right now they're still grocery getters and kid haulers for the most part. I see that changing in the near future. Same as what happened when they came out with the Cherokee.

Don't be surprised if you start developing a bit of brand loyalty. This can get very expensive. The new Wranglers are pretty nice and I drive past a dealers lot every morning on my way to work. There's one singing a siren song to me right now. Just Empty Every Pocket.
theotherone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Eagle112199
2008 KK Liberty 

theotherone: HIZZAH! Couldn't have said it better.
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Seeker28

Going to definitely try
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Seeker28

theotherone, Thanks for the info, i can only hope i have opportunity to really use the 4wd system, use it once so far on pavement but it was during a total white wash rain storm but it was for very long
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
stv9000
2011 KK Liberty 

Does the artic have select trac or command trac? Select trac CAN be used on dry pavement because it uses a slip transfer case allowing the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds. Command track locks the transfer case front drive shaft and rear drive shaft together and will not allow the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds as needed in a turn. This you CAN NOT use on dry pavement The command track works on the same principle as the Rubicon rock trac. If you look on the 2w 4w 4wlo select switch it will say AUTO if you have select trac and LOCK if you have command trac.
stv9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Seeker28

Does anyone know of any places in the New York area that has trails
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
RudyKK87
2010 KK Liberty 

Not really any legal trails in New York, at least that I know of. Some folks might tell you Rausch Creek Off Road Park in Pennsylvania is probably your best bet for legal off roading.
RudyKK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Where in New York are you? And there isn't much. Most is illegal, besides the beaches here on the Island.

Oh and that rainstorm Long Island had yesterday isn't enough to even consider the use of 4WD(rain should never be an excuse to use 4WD on the road). Idk if that's what you were talking about though.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
stv9000
2011 KK Liberty 

http://www.adirondackjeeps.com/
stv9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Seeker28

I'm on Staten Island, i was on may down to Lancaster Pennsylvania on the holiday and i had a my wife and family with me the highway was a total white wash didn't want any slipping, thats the only reason i put it 4x4 i typed the last post incorrectly i didn't use it for long, I'm very protective of passengers when there with me it's a mental issue.
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker28 View Post
Hey everyone I'm new to Jeeps, my first is a since I'm a novice to all things Jeep is there anything that a Beginner like myself should know about that?
Don't go off on a trail all by yourself and get in over your head.
Unread 09-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Seeker28

I would never go at it alone ,Don't know anyone whose really into the Jeep Lifestyle so i would like to see for myself how fun it can really be.
Unread 09-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

There's a few groups in our area. Check out the Northeast section on Lost (http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...forum.php?f=23). A lot of us are from the Island and the boroughs. There are also a few other groups that meet up close to Queens I believe. Just don't limit yourself to only hanging out and wheeling with Jeepers. People may say it's a Jeep thing, but there is a whole 4x4 community out there.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.