Feeler: New kk front recovery system - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Feeler: New kk front recovery system

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
AtTheHelm

Here it is in position. Again the pink color is just so you guys can see it better.

Approach angle

Again I won't be able to start these for another couple months while i finish bumper orders.
Weight should be about 35-40 lbs.

I will sell the first five for $200 plus shipping. After that they will likely go up in price.
Please only put yourself down if you are seriously interested. When I'm ready I will go through the list and send pm's to everyone who wants one and give a shipped price after you give me your zip code.

AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
AtTheHelm

I have a list started on lostjeeps if you want one put your name on the list.
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm
I have a list started on lostjeeps if you want one put your name on the list.
I'm in, two questions though,

1. How much of the bumper needed to be cut off?

2. Will it still work on those who require a front license plate without having to remount the plate?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575

I'm in, two questions though,

1. How much of the bumper needed to be cut off?

2. Will it still work on those who require a front license plate without having to remount the plate?

Pretty much all of the vented plastic part but not any of the shiny painted parts as far as I know.

It looks like the front plate will still go on but if you need to use the front receiver you'll have to take of the license plate (2 screws and 20 seconds). I'll get a pic with the plate installed.
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

That's true and I guess if I'm in a position where im actually using it then I wouldn't really need the front plate right? Lol. And if I do the that's what a dash board is for. What little if one we have.

Unread 02-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575
That's true and I guess if I'm in a position where im actually using it then I wouldn't really need the front plate right? Lol. And if I do the that's what a dash board is for. What little if one we have.

Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue since the front receiver wouldn't be used very often. I'm in California and Nevada and i've run a front plate about 25% of the time and have yet to be pulled over for it. I don't know how strict other states are on this, probably just comes down to how the officer feels that day.
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm

Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue since the front receiver wouldn't be used very often. I'm in California and Nevada and i've run a front plate about 25% of the time and have yet to be pulled over for it. I don't know how strict other states are on this, probably just comes down to how the officer feels that day.
Yes I know from experience on this. For the most part I don't think I'd have to be very worried about their decision anyway! Lol.

None the less, if you are deff a few months away from production than count me in. By then my OT should Kim back up and would love to put this on.

Unread 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #23
AtTheHelm

I have the steel prototype complete. I think you guys will like this thing. I can already tell you that there will be one minor change, the 3/4" thick shackle tabs will be moved further apart from each other about 3" so they can be welded directly to the mounts. I initially thought there would be clearance issues in doing this but there won't be. Here it is.

Plenty strong. I don't exactly recommend this as a jacking point for say changing a tire, but if you needed to jack from this point its an option.

Installation is easy. Just remove the plastic bumper, cut out the plastic slots, install recovery bar, reinstall bumper. The bumper slides right over it.

This is going to be perfect for those of you who want to keep your rig stock looking, and don't want to spend the money on a full steel bumper.
I'll be running this for a while and testing it. I have an idea of where, but I still need to decide where to put two more mounting points to assure it'll never come off when you don't want it to...
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Nice Job!
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #25
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I had a front receiver on one of my TJs where the receiver opening was in the way of the license plate mounting area. What I did was take an old receiver hitch and cut the tube off, welded a piece of strap across the front and drilled two holes to mount the license plate to. That way if I needed to remove the license plate all I did was pull the pin on the receiver pull out the plate holder and insert the hitch accessory I wanted to use IE: portable winch mount.

I'll try to get a photo posted later today. This would be an easy option for AtTheHelm to offer I'm sure.

By the way, your recovery system looks great, very beefy. What size box tube is that center section and how thick is it?
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #26
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Looks real good! Does the bumper cover have to come off for the install OT is that a suggestion to make the install easier?

Unread 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Not sure where ATH is using for anchor points for his install. But when I installed my tow bar bracket the front cover did have to be removed. It is really no big deal to remove the cover. Pulling a few plastic push pins and rivets, unplug the light connectors and it pulls free. It does help to have an extra set of hands for the actual pulling of the cover off and putting it back on. But this is only due to the size and flexing of the cover.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #28
AtTheHelm

Answers to questions:

Everything is 1/4" thick. The main tube is 3"x3"

The license plate actually goes on to its original location no problem. If you want a quick release system, Curt mfg makes a hitch mounted license plate holder.

Yes the plastic bumper needs to be removed and reinstalled. There isn't any way around it.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Here is what I used for the front receiver on my TJ.

Unread 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I did go over to LostJeep but couldn't find where to sign up?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.