JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Feeler: New kk front recovery system (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/feeler-new-kk-front-recovery-system-1475262/)

AtTheHelm 02-07-2013 12:09 AM

I want to see if there would be any interest from anyone on here for a new front recovery system i've been thinking about. It would be perfect for someone who wants a front hitch for a winch plus shackles instead of the factory tow hooks. As some of you know, the kk's tow hooks come with a flimsy 'm' bolt that has been known to tear out of the unibody frame rails. This would mount to the same location but have a nut rail that will spread the load a lot more from the extra surface area, thus making it much stronger. It would be made of square structural steel and 1/4" angle on the mounts.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps039f0a26.jpg
My reasoning behind this is to give people who wheel their kks something better than the oem tow hooks but also not making the jump to a full steel winch bumper.
Let me know your feedback: good/bad/suggestions.

I won't even begin to prototype this for a while though because i have bumper orders that need to be finished first.

eoerikson3 02-07-2013 06:17 AM

If I read this correctly this would be a winch mount plus shackle mount? I'd be interested. Right now I am considering your bumper or the backbone system from Detours for mounting a winch.
Re-read it. I think someone makes the front receiver already. I am not terribly interested in that.
Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

jonrjen 02-07-2013 07:43 AM

I am sure there is a need/want/desire for such an item out there, but I also feel sure that it may be a very limited market to sell to. Throw in that you can by a front receiver that include two chain loops for $185 it might be difficult to compete in the price arena.

That being said, if you were to make it with the front receiver hitch, then build the shackle tow mounts in a fashion that they would also be able to double as tow bar mounts and two loops for safety chains while being towed you could have a winner. This would cover the needs of a wider market base.

AtTheHelm 02-07-2013 09:49 AM

Yes, you guys are right, curt makes a front hitch for the kk already. The problem with theirs is the receiver sits BELOW the front fascia (plastic factory bumper). Also those chain loops should not be used as tow hooks for recovery, ever. The receiver on mine would sit in the opening between the factory tow hooks and you get real shackle mounts. That entire plastic vent would need to be cut out. I won't know if there are cooling or clearance issues until i build one and run/test it for a while.

This is taken from etrailer's website regarding the curt front hitch on the liberty.

What is the Ground Clearance with a CURT Front Trailer Hitch Installed on a 2007 Jeep Liberty?

According to the installation instructions which I have linked for you, the CURT Front Mount Receiver, # C31022, receiver opening will be directly below the front fascia. If you measure from the ground to the bottom of the fascia on your 2007 Jeep Liberty, and then subtract 2-1/2 inches, this is approximately where the bottom of the receiver should be. Make sure you are on level ground when measuring.
view full answer...

jonrjen 02-07-2013 10:49 AM

You are indeed correct, I looked at the Curt system when I purchased my KK. I thought that maybe I could bolt on a pair of tow bar brackets to the square tube, but with it sitting so low that was not an option. And the ground clearance would greatly suffer.

I ended up going ahead and ordering the Blue OX tow bar mount for the KK which exits through the lower opening of the front bumper screened area. I have had no issues with overheating due to this addition. If you go to either the ETrailer or BlueOX website they show the installation instructions via a download which may give you a heads up as to how these are mounted.

AtTheHelm 02-07-2013 01:41 PM

Still this something that is tailored for kk owners that want strong recovery points plus a place to mount a winch when its needed without much added weight and a lot of $$. I won't know a price until i build one but it will be less than the blue ox towbar mount but probably more than the curt front receiver.
It looks like 3"x3"x1/4" tube will work best, that would allow a receiver tube and the shackle mounts to pass through the tube and be welded front and back the way they should be for strength.

huntb 02-07-2013 02:03 PM

It really doesn't look like that blue ox could be used for recovery either. It looks like strictly towing.

_benjammin 02-07-2013 08:46 PM

I'd be interested. And am wondering if a piece of c channel could be added in front of the entire bumper?

KK4x4 02-07-2013 09:07 PM

What if you took that and made sort of like a bull bar outta it that had bars sort of like across the bumper width them came up like the matrix or Aries for lights and a little protection as well. Just trying to help out a bit with ideas...

AtTheHelm 02-07-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK4x4
What if you took that and made sort of like a bull bar outta it that had bars sort of like across the bumper width them came up like the matrix or Aries for lights and a little protection as well. Just trying to help out a bit with ideas...

Quote:

Originally Posted by _benjammin
I'd be interested. And am wondering if a piece of c channel could be added in front of the entire bumper?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was really trying to keep it simple and low profile. I never liked adding things outside of the plastic bumper like a bullbar because of the loss of approach angle and the way it looks. I can see maybe a simple prerunner style hoop for lights maybe but it would still stick out and wouldn't offer serious protection like a steel bumper would. Adding on stuff like that adds production cost as well as shipping cost too. I'm trying to keep it affordable.
Maybe something like the jk hood light bar but better and made to be bolted to the top of the plastic bumper?

_benjammin 02-08-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheHelm (Post 14928642)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was really trying to keep it simple and low profile. I never liked adding things outside of the plastic bumper like a bullbar because of the loss of approach angle and the way it looks. I can see maybe a simple prerunner style hoop for lights maybe but it would still stick out and wouldn't offer serious protection like a steel bumper would. Adding on stuff like that adds production cost as well as shipping cost too. I'm trying to keep it affordable.
Maybe something like the jk hood light bar but better and made to be bolted to the top of the plastic bumper?

I was thinking I may be able to weld up something to your recovery system. Wasn't necessarily thinking of you incorporating it into your design, mainly because of the additional cost on your end, including shipping. Thinking something like the 4X for a KJ from JBA without the hoop.
http://jeepinbyal.com/images/KJ%20Br...20BL-%20SM.JPG

If it was high enough I was hoping to not interfere with approach angle but provided a little protection to the plastic bumper. I'm not comfortable/confident with my welding for structural support and potential recovery.

AtTheHelm 02-11-2013 11:31 PM

Quicky wooden mock up i made at work. Its going to have to be 3"x3"x1/4" square structural tube, 3/4" thick shackle mounts, standard 2" id receiver, 1/4" gusseted mounts, and most likely 8 bolted points which are the tow hook holes and four in the crossmember with heavy backing plates. Weight around 35lbs. Don't comment on the paint color its for demonstration purposes. I'll get a pic of it in position on the Jeep soon.
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps071f774f.jpg[/quote]

jonrjen 02-12-2013 10:09 AM

Mock up looks rather good.

mtbiker 02-12-2013 02:01 PM

I'd be interested

otlip 02-12-2013 03:46 PM

Interested

I'm in

The time now is 10:29 PM.