Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Feeler: New kk front recovery system

10K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  AtTheHelm 
#1 ·
I want to see if there would be any interest from anyone on here for a new front recovery system i've been thinking about. It would be perfect for someone who wants a front hitch for a winch plus shackles instead of the factory tow hooks. As some of you know, the kk's tow hooks come with a flimsy 'm' bolt that has been known to tear out of the unibody frame rails. This would mount to the same location but have a nut rail that will spread the load a lot more from the extra surface area, thus making it much stronger. It would be made of square structural steel and 1/4" angle on the mounts.

My reasoning behind this is to give people who wheel their kks something better than the oem tow hooks but also not making the jump to a full steel winch bumper.
Let me know your feedback: good/bad/suggestions.

I won't even begin to prototype this for a while though because i have bumper orders that need to be finished first.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I read this correctly this would be a winch mount plus shackle mount? I'd be interested. Right now I am considering your bumper or the backbone system from Detours for mounting a winch.
Re-read it. I think someone makes the front receiver already. I am not terribly interested in that.
Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#3 ·
I am sure there is a need/want/desire for such an item out there, but I also feel sure that it may be a very limited market to sell to. Throw in that you can by a front receiver that include two chain loops for $185 it might be difficult to compete in the price arena.

That being said, if you were to make it with the front receiver hitch, then build the shackle tow mounts in a fashion that they would also be able to double as tow bar mounts and two loops for safety chains while being towed you could have a winner. This would cover the needs of a wider market base.

#4 ·
Yes, you guys are right, curt makes a front hitch for the kk already. The problem with theirs is the receiver sits BELOW the front fascia (plastic factory bumper). Also those chain loops should not be used as tow hooks for recovery, ever. The receiver on mine would sit in the opening between the factory tow hooks and you get real shackle mounts. That entire plastic vent would need to be cut out. I won't know if there are cooling or clearance issues until i build one and run/test it for a while.

This is taken from etrailer's website regarding the curt front hitch on the liberty.

What is the Ground Clearance with a CURT Front Trailer Hitch Installed on a 2007 Jeep Liberty?

According to the installation instructions which I have linked for you, the CURT Front Mount Receiver, # C31022, receiver opening will be directly below the front fascia. If you measure from the ground to the bottom of the fascia on your 2007 Jeep Liberty, and then subtract 2-1/2 inches, this is approximately where the bottom of the receiver should be. Make sure you are on level ground when measuring.
view full answer...

#5 ·
You are indeed correct, I looked at the Curt system when I purchased my KK. I thought that maybe I could bolt on a pair of tow bar brackets to the square tube, but with it sitting so low that was not an option. And the ground clearance would greatly suffer.

I ended up going ahead and ordering the Blue OX tow bar mount for the KK which exits through the lower opening of the front bumper screened area. I have had no issues with overheating due to this addition. If you go to either the ETrailer or BlueOX website they show the installation instructions via a download which may give you a heads up as to how these are mounted.

#6 ·
Still this something that is tailored for kk owners that want strong recovery points plus a place to mount a winch when its needed without much added weight and a lot of $$. I won't know a price until i build one but it will be less than the blue ox towbar mount but probably more than the curt front receiver.
It looks like 3"x3"x1/4" tube will work best, that would allow a receiver tube and the shackle mounts to pass through the tube and be welded front and back the way they should be for strength.

#10 ·
KK4x4 said:
What if you took that and made sort of like a bull bar outta it that had bars sort of like across the bumper width them came up like the matrix or Aries for lights and a little protection as well. Just trying to help out a bit with ideas...
_benjammin said:
I'd be interested. And am wondering if a piece of c channel could be added in front of the entire bumper?
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was really trying to keep it simple and low profile. I never liked adding things outside of the plastic bumper like a bullbar because of the loss of approach angle and the way it looks. I can see maybe a simple prerunner style hoop for lights maybe but it would still stick out and wouldn't offer serious protection like a steel bumper would. Adding on stuff like that adds production cost as well as shipping cost too. I'm trying to keep it affordable.
Maybe something like the jk hood light bar but better and made to be bolted to the top of the plastic bumper?

#11 ·
I was thinking I may be able to weld up something to your recovery system. Wasn't necessarily thinking of you incorporating it into your design, mainly because of the additional cost on your end, including shipping. Thinking something like the 4X for a KJ from JBA without the hoop.

If it was high enough I was hoping to not interfere with approach angle but provided a little protection to the plastic bumper. I'm not comfortable/confident with my welding for structural support and potential recovery.

#12 ·
Quicky wooden mock up i made at work. Its going to have to be 3"x3"x1/4" square structural tube, 3/4" thick shackle mounts, standard 2" id receiver, 1/4" gusseted mounts, and most likely 8 bolted points which are the tow hook holes and four in the crossmember with heavy backing plates. Weight around 35lbs. Don't comment on the paint color its for demonstration purposes. I'll get a pic of it in position on the Jeep soon.
[/quote]

#16 ·
Here it is in position. Again the pink color is just so you guys can see it better.

Approach angle

Again I won't be able to start these for another couple months while i finish bumper orders.
Weight should be about 35-40 lbs.

I will sell the first five for $200 plus shipping. After that they will likely go up in price.
Please only put yourself down if you are seriously interested. When I'm ready I will go through the list and send pm's to everyone who wants one and give a shipped price after you give me your zip code.

#18 ·
AtTheHelm said:
I have a list started on lostjeeps if you want one put your name on the list.
I'm in, two questions though,

1. How much of the bumper needed to be cut off?

2. Will it still work on those who require a front license plate without having to remount the plate?

#19 ·
rescue575 said:
I'm in, two questions though,

1. How much of the bumper needed to be cut off?

2. Will it still work on those who require a front license plate without having to remount the plate?

Pretty much all of the vented plastic part but not any of the shiny painted parts as far as I know.

It looks like the front plate will still go on but if you need to use the front receiver you'll have to take of the license plate (2 screws and 20 seconds). I'll get a pic with the plate installed.

#20 ·
That's true and I guess if I'm in a position where im actually using it then I wouldn't really need the front plate right? Lol. And if I do the that's what a dash board is for. What little if one we have.

#21 ·
rescue575 said:
That's true and I guess if I'm in a position where im actually using it then I wouldn't really need the front plate right? Lol. And if I do the that's what a dash board is for. What little if one we have.

Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue since the front receiver wouldn't be used very often. I'm in California and Nevada and i've run a front plate about 25% of the time and have yet to be pulled over for it. I don't know how strict other states are on this, probably just comes down to how the officer feels that day.

#22 ·
AtTheHelm said:
Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue since the front receiver wouldn't be used very often. I'm in California and Nevada and i've run a front plate about 25% of the time and have yet to be pulled over for it. I don't know how strict other states are on this, probably just comes down to how the officer feels that day.
Yes I know from experience on this. For the most part I don't think I'd have to be very worried about their decision anyway! Lol.

None the less, if you are deff a few months away from production than count me in. By then my OT should Kim back up and would love to put this on.

#23 ·
I have the steel prototype complete. I think you guys will like this thing. I can already tell you that there will be one minor change, the 3/4" thick shackle tabs will be moved further apart from each other about 3" so they can be welded directly to the mounts. I initially thought there would be clearance issues in doing this but there won't be. Here it is.

Plenty strong. I don't exactly recommend this as a jacking point for say changing a tire, but if you needed to jack from this point its an option.

Installation is easy. Just remove the plastic bumper, cut out the plastic slots, install recovery bar, reinstall bumper. The bumper slides right over it.

This is going to be perfect for those of you who want to keep your rig stock looking, and don't want to spend the money on a full steel bumper.
I'll be running this for a while and testing it. I have an idea of where, but I still need to decide where to put two more mounting points to assure it'll never come off when you don't want it to...

#25 ·
I had a front receiver on one of my TJs where the receiver opening was in the way of the license plate mounting area. What I did was take an old receiver hitch and cut the tube off, welded a piece of strap across the front and drilled two holes to mount the license plate to. That way if I needed to remove the license plate all I did was pull the pin on the receiver pull out the plate holder and insert the hitch accessory I wanted to use IE: portable winch mount.

I'll try to get a photo posted later today. This would be an easy option for AtTheHelm to offer I'm sure.

By the way, your recovery system looks great, very beefy. What size box tube is that center section and how thick is it?

#27 ·
Not sure where ATH is using for anchor points for his install. But when I installed my tow bar bracket the front cover did have to be removed. It is really no big deal to remove the cover. Pulling a few plastic push pins and rivets, unplug the light connectors and it pulls free. It does help to have an extra set of hands for the actual pulling of the cover off and putting it back on. But this is only due to the size and flexing of the cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.