Esp & 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Esp & 4wd

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
08KKJeepGrn
2008 KK Liberty 

Esp & 4wd

please help..

1) can you fully disable the ESP function?

I switch the Jeep into 4WD and turn OFF the ESP and the Jeep acts the way a 4x4 should act in deep snow (all wheels in motion) but i'm still getting a little bit of grinding.

2) When I switch the ESP OFF and then when needed I select 4WD the ESP automaticly switches back ON

3) What is the purpose of the ESP function of the ESP when 4WD is enabled

It's not like the older durango's where you select 2WD to 4WD and when you in 2WD your back wheels just spin... When i'm in the Jeep in 2WD and hit a slippery spot the ESP just grinds...... it this normal??

i'm boggled!!

Soon to come: '13/'14 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
08KKJeepGrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
leakslikasieve

The answer to your questions has been reviewed multiple times. However, its very easy to explain.

The ESP has stability and traction control. In 4wd high with the esp button turned off, it will turn only esp off, TC stays on, but allows for more slip. The only way it will turn off fully is by switching into 4wd low or pulling the abs fuse.

And by the way, I HATE this. I feel that it defeats the purpose of 4wd. Sometimes you need to just spin a bit.
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
otlip

ESP Modes: Activation
Normal Vehicles SRT Vehicles
Select
4x4 Vehicles
Fully ON
Defaults to Fully ON when starting vehicle, or when shifting
the transfer case on 4x4 vehicles
Partially OFF Press at any speed. [ESP OFF]
Fully OFF Not
Applicable
Press and hold 5-14 sec.
while under 10 mph [ESP OFF]
Fully ON
Fully ON is automatically engaged, requiring no specific driver input. The system defaults to Fully ON
each time the key is turned from the “off” to the “on” position or when shifting the transfer case on 4x4
vehicles. One push of the ESP button will put ESP back into the Fully ON mode if the vehicle is already
in the Partially OFF or Fully OFF setting.
ESP Switch
ESP Warning Light
Partially OFF
To select the Partially OFF mode, a single press of the “ESP OFF” button
at any speed is all it takes. A warning lamp in the instrument cluster will
illuminate.
Fully OFF
To select the Fully OFF mode, press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for
at least 5 seconds but not more than 14 seconds while under 10 mph. A
chime will sound, a warning lamp will illuminate and a text message —
ESP OFF — will appear in the instrument cluster (on vehicles with EVIC).
When 4x4 vehicles exceed 40 miles per hour, ESP automatically
switches from Fully OFF to Partially-OFF. In 4x4 vehicles, added safety
is achieved by having all of ESP’s features active above 40 mph. This is
not done in SRT vehicles because these vehicles are optimized for
higher rates of speeds.

http://www.socallx.com/esp_modes.pdf

Last edited by otlip; 01-13-2011 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: adding more info
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
redmario
2010 KK Liberty 

Follow this procedure to permanentely disable ESP (full off). Do it again to turn ESP back on.

It will flash e"sp off" if you do it correctly and display the wavy lines all the time..

1. Place into 4H
2. turn jeep off then on (actually start the jeep)
3. center wheel
4. turn clockwise so JEEP is upside down at 180 degrees
5. press and hold esp for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
6. recenter wheel
7. turn counter clockwise till JEEP is upside down.
8. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
9. Recenter wheel
10. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds. then depress until you hear the chime.
11. Turn off Jeep
redmario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
08KKJeepGrn
2008 KK Liberty 

Cool! ..Redmario, Will the 4WD system act normal and will the ESP Car image on the cluster be off or will it stay on?
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
r1967a
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmario View Post
Follow this procedure to permanentely disable ESP (full off). Do it again to turn ESP back on.

It will flash e"sp off" if you do it correctly and display the wavy lines all the time..

1. Place into 4H
2. turn jeep off then on (actually start the jeep)
3. center wheel
4. turn clockwise so JEEP is upside down at 180 degrees
5. press and hold esp for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
6. recenter wheel
7. turn counter clockwise till JEEP is upside down.
8. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
9. Recenter wheel
10. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds. then depress until you hear the chime.
11. Turn off Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08KKJeepGrn View Post
Cool! ..Redmario, Will the 4WD system act normal and will the ESP Car image on the cluster be off or will it stay on?

Actually when I do the above sequence the car image flashes 6 times, each a different color red, green, blue, yellow, orange, and brown...hope that helps 08kk!!!
r1967a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
08KKJeepGrn
2008 KK Liberty 

Ok... I think after ready both scenarios I'm going to try. Also do I have to repeat everytime want the ESP FULL OFF or will it stay off when done once? When I shut the Jeep off will it reset it self back to normal operation?
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
r1967a
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08KKJeepGrn View Post
Ok... I think after ready both scenarios I'm going to try. Also do I have to repeat everytime want the ESP FULL OFF or will it stay off when done once? When I shut the Jeep off will it reset it self back to normal operation?
it should work the first time and keep it off, if it does NOT work....after step 11, you may have to do the whole process again, but at step 11 push and hold the esp button for 25 seconds, or until it "dings" and within 5 seconds of it "dinging" lock and unlock the jeep via the remote (yes while your sitting in the jeep still) 3 times, after this you should get a confirmation ding sound of 3 "dings" once you have done this it should stay off until you reactivate it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!!!
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
08KKJeepGrn
2008 KK Liberty 

Ok. Last question, how can I turn the ESP back to normal when its not snowing and I have dry payment?
Unread 01-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #10
r1967a
1999 WJ 

from what i understand even though the "special instructions" to turn it completely off you should just be able to push the esp button and it turns it back on. If not you should be able to disconnect the battery, for about 5 minutes or so, reconnect it, turn the key to the "on" position, dont crank the motor, and within 5 seconds pump the gas peddle 5 times, then start the jeep. That should for sure turn it back "on" to normal!! Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.