ESC and Downhill decel noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > ESC and Downhill decel noises

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
WakenJeep

ESC and Downhill decel noises

Hey guys, I am a new member to the Jeep family and forum here and am loving it so far. I just got a 2012 Liberty Sport 4wd. Its a great vehicle so far. Being new to Jeeps though I of course wanted to try a little offroading. I took it to a pretty steep dirt hill with loose rocks and dirt. I kicked it into 4wd low to climb. When I did this, It showed that ESC turned off but when climbing it began shuddering and making a ratcheting type noise and the ESC dash graphic lit up when this noise was happening. It also made this noise when going downhill with the deceleration assist turned on. Is it normal to make a noise like that when those things are engaged? Thanks!

WakenJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakenJeep View Post
Hey guys, I am a new member to the Jeep family and forum here and am loving it so far. I just got a 2012 Liberty Sport 4wd. Its a great vehicle so far. Being new to Jeeps though I of course wanted to try a little offroading. I took it to a pretty steep dirt hill with loose rocks and dirt. I kicked it into 4wd low to climb. When I did this, It showed that ESC turned off but when climbing it began shuddering and making a ratcheting type noise and the ESC dash graphic lit up when this noise was happening. It also made this noise when going downhill with the deceleration assist turned on. Is it normal to make a noise like that when those things are engaged? Thanks!
First off, welcome and enjoy the addiction haha.

Traction Control does that. It stops and restarts the tires to keep traction and avoid free spinning. If you press the button to turn it off but when you switch to 4WD it turns back on and will do it again. New computers thinking they know best haha.
NAMoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
WakenJeep

I had read on here that it stays on, even when turned "off" but it was just the noise that concerned me. All 4wd vehicles I have owned in the past were old models with no computers and that noise was a little.... disconcerting haha
WakenJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakenJeep View Post
I had read on here that it stays on, even when turned "off" but it was just the noise that concerned me. All 4wd vehicles I have owned in the past were old models with no computers and that noise was a little.... disconcerting haha
Excuse the language, but the computers are pieces of s!@#. Jan 21st I wrecked my baby because I forgot to turn it off (you can disable it to a point but in extreme cases it will kick back in) and slid sideways into a telephone pole. Computer took control of the wheels and I couldn't re-fishtail to recover.

There are a few people who have wired a switch to turn it off-off though.
NAMoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

That switch also disables the abs...

Anyways, yes it's normal. Its the tcs. Even when off, it's still on. All it does is tolerate more slip and stop killing the engine's power. When you were in 4low spinning tires going up hill it was kicking in. When going down, you said you used hill descent control. That uses tcs to slow the jeep as well, so yes all the noises were normal. Might seem weird and you're gonna hate hearing them, but they are normal. Not gonna lie, it's part of the reason as to why I don't use hill descent.
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I find 4LO and 1st gear keeps you pretty well under control when descending hills. I imagine the hill descent control would be for extremely steep offroad situations where absolute control is required or you end up
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

completely normal
in a way that traction control works like a locker to prevent excessive wheel spin
just get use to it.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.