Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Engine light

673 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LibertyRS 
#1 ·
Hello fellows,

So for the past couple weeks my engine light as well as my gas cap loose indicator has been on. I'm running the Jet stage 2 chip and putting 91/93 in Libby so she runs how the chip is made too. And yes I've tighten down my gas cap. When I ran a OBD2 scanner the code came back an emission leak. I know it has to do something with all the valves and gizmos of the gas tank but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

#2 ·
It is possible for your gas cap to be broken but not appear to be broken, even when tightened down several clicks. I had this happen on my last vehicle, and it got so bad I could even smell gas when idling. The dealer did a smoke test of the whole fuel/emissions system and found nothing. It was the gas cap all along. You can get a new one for something like $15, and see if that clears it up. If so, it would be a cheap fix.

#4 ·
Yes, check the gas cap. Many garages now have pressure testers for them. Basically the same thing the emissions testing place has. If you live in an emissions testing state you probably have seen one. Here in Ohio they basically plug in to your OBD port and put a tester on your gas cap. If it passes those two things, no further testing and off you go..

If it isn't that, then you need to start checking the evap system...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.