DuraTracs in the Snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > DuraTracs in the Snow

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

DuraTracs in the Snow

So I have a bit of a quandary on my hands. I'm thinking of throwing on a set of dedicated Cooper snow tires on my KK next month before the snow starts to fly. And my intent was to swap tires each season and run two sets of tire for a couple years. But the DuraTracs have recently caught my eye and I'm thinking of throwing a set on to run year-round.

To those who have them, have you run them in the snow? I'm specifically curious about New England winters given the weather we can see in these parts. How did they perform? Are they comparable to a tire like the Cooper Discoverer M+S?

I want to make sure I'm not spending the money just to shoot myself in the foot and have poor traction all winter.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Killer winter traction and they do pretty well in light offroad situations too. They don't ice up and clean out packed snow well.

I ran a set on the Jeep last winter and the truck is getting a set this winter as well.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

That's a good sign if you're wanting to put them on another vehicle. Where do you live?

Also, my Jeep currently has 235/70/16s but I'd be getting 225/75/16s. I can't imagine I'd have any issues with ESP or anything since the 225s are also a factory size. I understand there's a slight difference in height, width, etc.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Can't help you on the ESP question unfortunately. I live in Alberta Canada, we have snow and ice from about November 1 to the middle of April.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Ok, you got me beat since I live in Vermont!

Previous
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Esp should be fine. I didn't have problems going from 225/75-16 to 245/75-16. Both sizes you mention are factory sizes, the 225s will be slightly skinnier, but both about the same height. The 225s will actually be taller than the 235s
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've had a set on my XJ since April, so no snow yet. But my cousin ran them on his Tahoe and swears they are the best tire in the snow he's ever ran. That's in Northern Utah where we have, as the license plates say, the "best snow on earth."
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Great. Thanks guys. I placed the order and they should be here soon. Is there that much more of a harsh ride with the LT tires?

Previous
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I don't notice any difference. I think the stock tires are LT. The only thing I notice about the duratracs over stock is a slight vibration from the aggressive tread(and part due to not being able to align my front end properly, I have slight positive camber).

I also have load range C. No real need for the Es unless you have considerably more weight added.
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Excellent. This thing tosses me around enough as it is.

Previous
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Duratracs are real good in the snow. I went places in two wheel drive that I had to use 4 wheel drive with BFGs. I have over 62,000 on mine so far as well. Just keep them rotated on a regular basis.
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Glad to hear. Tire Rack said they'll be here tomorrow but we'll see what happens. I'd like to get them mounted ASAP.

Previous
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some vids to educate yourself on some of the things to look for in good snow tires, regardless of brand.

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.