JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Driving 2012 liberty in 4WD on drive pavement (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/driving-2012-liberty-4wd-drive-pavement-2074449/)

DrD28 02-04-2014 05:23 PM

Driving 2012 liberty in 4WD on drive pavement

Let the wife drive my liberty in the snow. She put it in 4WD HI to get through in plowed side roads. She forgot to take it out when she hit dry pavement. She drive it like 15 miles in HI should I be worried

Dave_B 02-04-2014 05:36 PM

I drove back home from Chicago in 4 wd. (Live in Minneapolis). That's why you don't buy a entry level drive system. Dave

DrD28 02-04-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_B
I drove back home from Chicago in 4 wd. (Live in Minneapolis). That's why you don't buy a entry level drive system. Dave

What do you mean entry level ??

DrD28 02-04-2014 05:56 PM

What do you mean entry level??

ArcticDude88 02-04-2014 07:34 PM

He means the standard 4wd command trac which isnt "entry level" per se but a more raw 4wd system. Whereas the optional select a trac full time 4wd you can leave it in 4wd auto and not worry about breaking anything.

lfhoward 02-04-2014 08:05 PM

If you can't feel any driveline symptoms, you are probably just fine. It is a pretty tough 4WD system and it can take it when this happens occasionally. I drove from Chicago to Detroit on Snowy/Icy/Wet roads that were unpredictable and you couldn't tell what was ice and what was just wet or snow until you hit it. I'm sure the wet pavement gave me nearly as good traction as dry pavement with my new Duratracs, but the ice made it worth having 4WD on for nearly the whole trip. I saw dozens of cars in the ditch and three jackknifed semi's that night. The Jeep was just fine and handled amazingly, although I had to keep on my toes for that ice. No problems with 4WD binding at all, even though I surely logged many miles with only wet pavement. I have Command Trac.

DrD28 02-04-2014 09:38 PM

Thanks for your responses i can sleep better now and get ready for the snow.

Gageraid 02-04-2014 09:42 PM

Just try to nicely explain to her it's bad for the Jeep and hopefully it won't happen again.
Hopefully you're okay, but keep an ear out for any unusual sounds.

DrD28 02-04-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfhoward
If you can't feel any driveline symptoms, you are probably just fine. It is a pretty tough 4WD system and it can take it when this happens occasionally. I drove from Chicago to Detroit on Snowy/Icy/Wet roads that were unpredictable and you couldn't tell what was ice and what was just wet or snow until you hit it. I'm sure the wet pavement gave me nearly as good traction as dry pavement with my new Duratracs, but the ice made it worth having 4WD on for nearly the whole trip. I saw dozens of cars in the ditch and three jackknifed semi's that night. The Jeep was just fine and handled amazingly, although I had to keep on my toes for that ice. No problems with 4WD binding at all, even though I surely logged many miles with only wet pavement. I have Command Trac.

What year is your KK

Gageraid 02-04-2014 09:45 PM

It says 2008 in his signature.

tjkj2002 02-04-2014 09:49 PM

It is very bad,I've seen some t-case explode in as little as 15 miles.You have a gearing difference between the front and rear diffs so the front wheels will spin faster then the rears even going straight.With the command trac II the front and rear driveshafts are locked and turning the same speed so after some time something will give.When something will give nobody knows,can be 15 miles could be 4000+ miles.It will wear the tires faster,place greater strain on the driveshafts and the most strain is on the t-case case and chain.

DrD28 02-05-2014 04:06 AM

Well if it's damaged I hope it goes before I go in the beach and the warranty still covers it lol

lfhoward 02-05-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 20067369)
It is very bad,I've seen some t-case explode in as little as 15 miles.You have a gearing difference between the front and rear diffs so the front wheels will spin faster then the rears even going straight.With the command trac II the front and rear driveshafts are locked and turning the same speed so after some time something will give.When something will give nobody knows,can be 15 miles could be 4000+ miles.It will wear the tires faster,place greater strain on the driveshafts and the most strain is on the t-case case and chain.

Probably in my situation the tires were able to slip every so often (quite often) on the ice and snow and relieve the strain on the driveline from the unfrozen patches. I wouldn't recommend going any distance on dry pavement and agree with your post, tjkj!

tommudd 02-05-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrD28 (Post 20070625)
Well if it's damaged I hope it goes before I go in the beach and the warranty still covers it lol

Why should warranty cover it?
I guess too many times I still put my old Service Managers hat on and think of the folks who tried to pull one on the dealership where I worked. A warranty should be something covered that was a manufacturing mistake, not one made by the consumer .

RENE65 02-05-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 20075665)
Why should warranty cover it?
I guess too many times I still put my old Service Managers hat on and think of the folks who tried to pull one on the dealership where I worked. A warranty should be something covered that was a manufacturing mistake, not one made by the consumer .

Wore the same hat 25 years :laugh:

The time now is 03:34 AM.