Dreaming about adding several gauges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Dreaming about adding several gauges

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dreaming about adding several gauges

Looking to add several gauges to my KK sometime in the future. Hate not knowing whats going on with things while I'm driving. Don't want to carry a bunch of tools with me for troubleshooting. I often travel alone so it will give me something to do on those long drives.

For starters I'm looking at:
Oil Pressure
Charging System Voltage
Fuel Pressure
Transmission Temp
Vacuum

I'm looking for something that will always be active when the vehicle is on. Something that will remain in or part of the vehicle. Any ideas on where to mount or install would be good. Have considered the pillar and better yet the storage slot above the radio. Might be able to squeeze five 2 inch gauges in that spot. Also don't want it sitting out in the open and looking like something someone wants to break in and steel. Most importantly I'm looking for something that is safe; doesn't take much of my attention off the road, should be easy to read with a glance and no buttons to push.

Which system makes more sense, actual gauges or a small computer display plugged into the diagnostic port with an app running? Looking to explore both routes on this thread.

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Most of the add on are the cause of the problems you might have EX: I had a Customer that added an oïl pressure guage,to do that ,he had to add a TEE at the oïl pressure switch,the TEE broke with the vibrations,the oïl sprayed out and the idiot light never came on as the oïl pressure switch was just dangling down. Always think twice before doing mods
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
Most of the add on are the cause of the problems you might have EX: I had a Customer that added an oïl pressure guage,to do that ,he had to add a TEE at the oïl pressure switch,the TEE broke with the vibrations,the oïl sprayed out and the idiot light never came on as the oïl pressure switch was just dangling down. Always think twice before doing mods
If the tee broke only from vibration then it sounds like the customer didn't do a very good job of thinking things through when doing the install. Did they use something weak? Was it a poor mod by the customer or some weird coincidence? I'm with you on increasing the possibility of a failure. Why make things more complicated, right? I'm used to having several of these gauges on my older vehicles and the new KK doesn't have it so I'm going through withdrawals. The best mod I did on my XJ was to get rid of the lights and install and actual gauge cluster. None available for the KK that I know of. Any idea if the engine computer monitors oil pressure? Like you say maybe the tee fitting for the oil is not the best route. Maybe getting the info through the diagnostic port is better, if it's available that way.
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Look into the scangauge https://www.scangauge.com/
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I've ran a scanguage for the last 6 years or so and it will give you actually readings of may of the things you are looking for. Not oil pressure but check it out
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Most of the time,an oïl light will warn you before the engine blows,with a guage ,people look at it when they feel something wrong but by then its too late.Make sure you keep the idiot lights,when you drive in harsh conditions,you don t want have to worry about guages.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
I've ran a scanguage for the last 6 years or so and it will give you actually readings of may of the things you are looking for. Not oil pressure but check it out
Since you have one, can you tell me which things it will monitor from the five I listed?
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
Most of the time,an oïl light will warn you before the engine blows,with a guage ,people look at it when they feel something wrong but by then its too late.Make sure you keep the idiot lights,when you drive in harsh conditions,you don t want have to worry about guages.
Definitely will keep the lights. If I go the gauge route they will operate independent of the lights.
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did some research last night. Looks like I have these 3 options.
1 - Install gauges
2 - Purchase an engine monitor like the Scangauge, etc.
3 - Get an app that runs on a phone or tablet, etc.

From a short study it appeared that the only way to get everything I want is to install gauges. The monitors and apps vary a lot on what they will actually monitor. Didn't find one that monitored everything I was looking for. May have to do a combination of things.
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

It can look at the following parameters:
Closed/Open Loop
MAP
MPG (instant and average)
MPH
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor
Water Temperature
Battery Voltage
Intake Air Temperature
Gallons Per Hour
Ignition Timing
Engine Load
Horsepower
Gibson exhaust
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post

It can look at the following parameters:
Closed/Open Loop
MAP
MPG (instant and average)
MPH
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor
Water Temperature
Battery Voltage
Intake Air Temperature
Gallons Per Hour
Ignition Timing
Engine Load
Horsepower
So the Scangauge will only display one of the 5 things I'd like to monitor. That sucks for me. Thanks for posting a list.
Unread 02-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So I looked into a set of five matching gauges. Read up on Autometer gauges. From what people were saying they were middle of the road for price and quality. They come with senders and such. Looks like one of the only models that has everything I need is the Cobalt series. Shopped around a little and was surprised at what they get for the gauges. For a set of five gauges it was going to be at least $850. Who else makes a decent gauge? Hopefully a little less expensive.

Autometer Designer Black II with white LED back light is the closest match for the factory KK gauges . They didn't have everything I want. The Cobalt series with blue back light does have everything I want.
6149_d.jpg

1293_d.jpg

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

No problem.
Gibson exhaust
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quality gauges are expensive, if you buy cheap then expect issues down the road, just like anything else
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #15
fairmont1998
2012 KK Liberty 

Look at an Ultragauge. They are pretty awesome and a great price.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.