Delay when starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Delay when starting

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Delay when starting

Can anyone else shed some light? Occasionally when i go to start her up, i will turn the key (all the way). At first i will get nothing. Then finally it will turn over. Sometimes it will not turn over and i will just remove the key, put it in again turn then it would start right up?

Chip in they key? Ignition sensor? Any ideas or anyone relate?

Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
griffdiz
2012 KK Liberty 

Maybe the battery in the key is dying? If you have a spare you could test it out by using that for a while and see if it happens again.
griffdiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffdiz
Maybe the battery in the key is dying? If you have a spare you could test it out by using that for a while and see if it happens again.
Battery meaning for the keyless entry or does the chip function off the battery too?
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
griffdiz
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post

Battery meaning for the keyless entry or does the chip function off the battery too?
The chip functions off the key fob battery, so if the battery dies in the key fob the car won't start.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffdiz

The chip functions off the key fob battery, so if the battery dies in the key fob the car won't start.
Good to know. What is the average lifespan on these batteries?
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
griffdiz
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post

Good to know. What is the average lifespan on these batteries?
I dunno, my spare key was the one that went so I never used it. When I did go to use it and the battery in it was dead the car was 4 years old. The key I used everyday still worked fine lol.
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

My 08 will crank ( but not start ) with a plain metal unchipped key.I don t think the chip cuts out the starter , probably cuts fuel or ignition.I have like a half second delay when I turn the key to the start position before the starter engages with my regular chipped key.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Thnkr917

I just bought my 2012 about a week and a half ago. I had 27k on it. I'm having exactly the same issue. I took it back to the JEEP dealership that I bought it from and they said they didn't find anything wrong. It doesn't do it all the time and it didn't do it when the car was in the shop. They didn't even give me any suggestions for what made it do that. So this is some kind of security feature? You would think they would know about that chip in the key feature and have checked it out when I brought it in! If it happens again, I guess I'll have to suggest this forum.
Thnkr917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
JeepCares

Sometimes it's hard to diagnose something when you can't duplicate it. Often different component malfunctions can cause the same symptom
Anything at this point is a guess. Changing the battery might be worth a shot.

How many times has this happened?
If it happens again, make note of when and exactly what happened.
For example - went to start car after sitting overnight and there was a delay of 2 seconds before it started cranking. If you can get it to happen on a regular basis, maybe YOU can get it to happen for the dealer.

The chip obviously worked for the dealer, because they felt your car started normally. I'm not sure what suggesting this forum would do to help your cause.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

In my '11 there is a (slightly) noticeable delay when I start the car. I turn the key all the way and half a heartbeat later the engine turns over and starts. Seems to me that it's normal procedure at least for my car as it's exactly the same every time I start the car with either key.
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
HMNG-Liberty
2012 KK Liberty 

this might be normal as mines also takes 1/2-1 second when turning the ignition all the way before the starter actually engage and starts.
HMNG-Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Thnkr917

"The chip obviously worked for the dealer, because they felt your car started normally. I'm not sure what suggesting this forum would do to help your cause."
It would help by suggesting they check something they obviously did not check, or even know about, the first time.
Anyway, it never did it again so, presumably, it worked itself out without intervention.
Thnkr917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Rescue,

Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing this more frequently now than before and it's starting to annoy me. I haven't tried to keep it there and see if it's just a delay. Usually, I just turn the key back to off and then try to start it again and it fires right up, no issues the second time. so weird...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerist
Hey Rescue, Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing this more frequently now than before and it's starting to annoy me. I haven't tried to keep it there and see if it's just a delay. Usually, I just turn the key back to off and then try to start it again and it fires right up, no issues the second time. so weird...
One thing I have noticed is that if I shut down and pull the key out and "unlock" the key pad for alarm it generally starts up with I problem I really think it has something to do with the alarm or remote start

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.