JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Delay when starting (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/delay-when-starting-1504063/)

rescue575 04-04-2013 01:49 PM

Delay when starting

Can anyone else shed some light? Occasionally when i go to start her up, i will turn the key (all the way). At first i will get nothing. Then finally it will turn over. Sometimes it will not turn over and i will just remove the key, put it in again turn then it would start right up?

Chip in they key? Ignition sensor? Any ideas or anyone relate?

griffdiz 04-06-2013 08:09 AM

Maybe the battery in the key is dying? If you have a spare you could test it out by using that for a while and see if it happens again.

rescue575 04-06-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffdiz
Maybe the battery in the key is dying? If you have a spare you could test it out by using that for a while and see if it happens again.

Battery meaning for the keyless entry or does the chip function off the battery too?

griffdiz 04-06-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rescue575 (Post 15255367)

Battery meaning for the keyless entry or does the chip function off the battery too?

The chip functions off the key fob battery, so if the battery dies in the key fob the car won't start.

rescue575 04-07-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffdiz

The chip functions off the key fob battery, so if the battery dies in the key fob the car won't start.

Good to know. What is the average lifespan on these batteries?

griffdiz 04-07-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rescue575 (Post 15259502)

Good to know. What is the average lifespan on these batteries?

I dunno, my spare key was the one that went so I never used it. When I did go to use it and the battery in it was dead the car was 4 years old. The key I used everyday still worked fine lol.

RENE65 04-08-2013 07:22 PM

My 08 will crank ( but not start ) with a plain metal unchipped key.I don t think the chip cuts out the starter , probably cuts fuel or ignition.I have like a half second delay when I turn the key to the start position before the starter engages with my regular chipped key.

Thnkr917 05-07-2013 08:47 PM

I just bought my 2012 about a week and a half ago. I had 27k on it. I'm having exactly the same issue. I took it back to the JEEP dealership that I bought it from and they said they didn't find anything wrong. It doesn't do it all the time and it didn't do it when the car was in the shop. They didn't even give me any suggestions for what made it do that. So this is some kind of security feature? You would think they would know about that chip in the key feature and have checked it out when I brought it in! If it happens again, I guess I'll have to suggest this forum.

JeepCares 05-08-2013 08:33 AM

Sometimes it's hard to diagnose something when you can't duplicate it. Often different component malfunctions can cause the same symptom
Anything at this point is a guess. Changing the battery might be worth a shot.

How many times has this happened?
If it happens again, make note of when and exactly what happened.
For example - went to start car after sitting overnight and there was a delay of 2 seconds before it started cranking. If you can get it to happen on a regular basis, maybe YOU can get it to happen for the dealer.

The chip obviously worked for the dealer, because they felt your car started normally. I'm not sure what suggesting this forum would do to help your cause.

mrbeal 05-08-2013 09:20 AM

In my '11 there is a (slightly) noticeable delay when I start the car. I turn the key all the way and half a heartbeat later the engine turns over and starts. Seems to me that it's normal procedure at least for my car as it's exactly the same every time I start the car with either key.

HMNG-Liberty 05-09-2013 07:57 PM

this might be normal as mines also takes 1/2-1 second when turning the ignition all the way before the starter actually engage and starts.

Thnkr917 05-20-2013 02:32 AM

"The chip obviously worked for the dealer, because they felt your car started normally. I'm not sure what suggesting this forum would do to help your cause."
It would help by suggesting they check something they obviously did not check, or even know about, the first time.
Anyway, it never did it again so, presumably, it worked itself out without intervention.

Sagerist 08-22-2014 11:58 AM

Hey Rescue,

Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing this more frequently now than before and it's starting to annoy me. I haven't tried to keep it there and see if it's just a delay. Usually, I just turn the key back to off and then try to start it again and it fires right up, no issues the second time. so weird...

rescue575 08-31-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagerist
Hey Rescue, Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing this more frequently now than before and it's starting to annoy me. I haven't tried to keep it there and see if it's just a delay. Usually, I just turn the key back to off and then try to start it again and it fires right up, no issues the second time. so weird...

One thing I have noticed is that if I shut down and pull the key out and "unlock" the key pad for alarm it generally starts up with I problem I really think it has something to do with the alarm or remote start

The time now is 05:22 AM.