Dealer states WCM replacement to fix TPMS warning light. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Dealer states WCM replacement to fix TPMS warning light.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Dealer states WCM replacement to fix TPMS warning light.

Hello.

The title pretty much speaks for itself here and I find it very shocking that this would be the case!

I had them replaced the front passenger tire sensor and they said the light should go away after you drive it for a bit. It didn't go away soooo i rolled back up there today for 4 fun filled hours to find that they want to charge me

$375 for a new WCM.

I about had a heart attack!!!

With that in mind four things come to mind.

1). Dealers scare me and I will never trust them again. Having a hard time with this on a newer Jeep with lots of techie stuff that can easily break.

2). does my spare have a sensor? perhaps its low and they didn't check it.

3). The TSB for the WCM should I check to see if it was replaced with the newer/fixed one? And if I mention it to them would they still fix it as a defect outside of warranty? I've never been in this situation before as I've always been able to work with my back yard mechanic on my other vehicles.

4). Ummm what was #4... heh oh could this be an early sign that the WCM IS failing and it's only a matter of time before it does fail?

Thank you for any insight.

severewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

I can tell you I had the same problem on my 08 KK,I had the TPMS light,and the security light,and they replaced the WCM.The WCM receives the signal from the tire sensors.Your spare has a sensor if it a full size spare.Im sure they put the starscan on it,and found it to be a bad WCM.The WCM also control your remote,the ignition switch,and the sentry key system.If you are out of warranty,You pay for TSBs.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Okay thats livable.

Also I forgot to mention that I have read around that others had issues with their WCM in the past with locking/unlocking and even starting their Jeep!

This really worries me as you can tell lol, in that I have not experienced these issues. YET. Just this TPMS issue. So I'm trying to debate how serious an issue it is as the dealer really didn't put any gravity to it and I told him it would probably be next week before I can do it.

Should I be a worry wort? I work in technology world and it scares me.
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by severewinds View Post
Okay thats livable.

Also I forgot to mention that I have read around that others had issues with their WCM in the past with locking/unlocking and even starting their Jeep!

This really worries me as you can tell lol, in that I have not experienced these issues. YET. Just this TPMS issue. So I'm trying to debate how serious an issue it is as the dealer really didn't put any gravity to it and I told him it would probably be next week before I can do it.

Should I be a worry wort? I work in technology world and it scares me.
When my KK was new the WCM went,and had to be towed.There is a TSB for this problem.I had no problem with starting since then,so Im sure the one you will get will be the updated version,and your KK will be OK..
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Okay, I'll get it done hopefully no later then Wednesday. I keep forgetting how new this thing really is. And I doubt this TSB has even been addressed yet!!!

Thanks
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Okay, I'll get it done hopefully no later then Wednesday. I keep forgetting how new this thing really is. And I doubt this TSB has even been addressed yet!!!

Thanks
Good luck,and let us know how you made out.
Unread 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

can you post the link to the tsb?
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
can you post the link to the tsb?
The TSB Im talking about is a no start,or no crank,and most likely the remote wont work.IF you have a problem with the TPMS and sensors are good,then its the WCM.The WCM has many functions and thats one of them.Here is the TSB Im talking about:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8C...ut=list&num=50
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Ok they have the new WCM in and now its whining about the other tire sensor as it since in the shop still. I am now home as they DROVE me home unsure of when they will get it reprogrammed. What did I get myself into technology wise when I bought this Jeep?
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

thank you for the link rich
as to your question, its a whole new can of worms and is the sole reason why i bought extended warranty on the car. electrical problems are the worst!
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

I can see why! Dealer said it's ready, I'll be happy to have her back
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

Whelp, I got my baby back and she's all happy now, and so am I.
AND the dealer left me a present!

hahahah
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Thats the WCM/SKREEM module.
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
severewinds
2008 KK Liberty 

hah nice.

I'll be in that area over the next few days so i'll drop it off, I'm not going back up there today!
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
hah nice.

I'll be in that area over the next few days so i'll drop it off, I'm not going back up there today!
I hope it works out.If you have a spare key,I hope you had it programmed for the new WCM.Good Luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.