Dealer Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Dealer Problems

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Dealer Problems

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 2x4 with the Skyslider roof. I bought it used about a year and a half ago and everything was fine. It is my car for moving luggage up to school (Lubbock TX) from Home (Houston TX).

This Spring, my skyslider roof failed. The back part of the sliding mechanism became disconnected from the tracks. I knew based on what I read that I would need a full replacement.

First, I took it to Frontier CDJ in Lubbock for a quote. They called me back a few days later with a quote of $6750. I told them no, saying that usually it only costs $3000 at most. I payed the diagnostic fee and picked the car up. At Spring Break, I took it in to Autonation Spring CDJ here in Houston. I paid $3300 because I also got a new key with the car. I had a tight time frame which unfortunately they couldn't meet so they fixed it as best they could and I was to bring it back as soon as I got back from school for the summer.

This summer I brought it back. They had it for about a week before they called me asking for even more money. I was told that the entire roof had been replaced, and that's what my invoice shows, but they said that was incorrect. They then accused me of causing body damage to the car and refused to fix it. After talking to the manager, I found out that a 3rd party company had been used for the repair, not the Dealer's shop. I brought it to the dealer wanting certified technicians who knew what they were doing, but besides that I was told that the 3rd party now did not know what to do to finish the job and would not come back in. I picked up the car a week later and while it works again, it leaks everywhere. My headliner is completely ruined, I have started having electrical problems, and the roof is not flat from the outside as it used to be. They told me when I picked it up this summer that they would call me back within the next week when a solution was figured out and they would setup an appointment. It's been several weeks since then and when I call they tell me that my ticket has been closed and they cannot help me any more.

So at this point I have $3000 into this project, I am farther from the goal than I was when I brought it in, and being a student I have no more money to fix this thing. I can't sell or trade a car with a leaking roof either. Unfortunately I don't even feel comfortable taking my car back to any dealer since they seem to just cause more damage than they fix.

I'm out of options at this point. Is there anything you can think of? Honestly it's a great car that had a failure related to age which I knew of. I just didn't think that taking my Jeep to a Jeep dealer would be so difficult.

(JeepCares your inbox is full)

taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

I would start off the process by filing a complaint with the local BBB against the dealer. Next, E-mail Chrysler to notify them of the issue. Be prepared to provide all paperwork including all correspondence. I would do all of this via e-mail so you have a paper trail of sorts. Stay away from phone calls, since it is next to impossible to document.

If that doesn't work, next step is to consult with an attorney and plan filing suit. I don't normally make a recommendation like that, but that may be your only recourse.

I am sorry you are having such problems, makes my vibration battle seem trivial.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Well, I have started with the email so far. Chrysler said that because my car is out of warranty they won't help me. I posted here hoping that JeepCares can help me. I really don't want to file suit but if I have to I will.
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

UPDATE: Dealer just contacted me and is completely replacing everything. Dealer is doing it themselves and not sending it out to another company this time.
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
griff100
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgrandorf View Post
UPDATE: Dealer just contacted me and is completely replacing everything. Dealer is doing it themselves and not sending it out to another company this time.
Man that's great news! Good luck with it.

These are the things I think about when buying a car...such as sunroofs, etc. How much do I really want this feature and is it going to cause me problems and be a pain in the butt to fix?.
I don't think I'd ever buy one with the skyroof...
griff100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

You know I thought the same thing. And even after this it's still one of the best things on a car that I've had before. When they work they are fantastic. Thankfully the dealer is also replacing my headliner now too, as well as fixing some other unrelated electrical things relating to door locks for my trouble.
Unread 06-27-2014, 04:21 AM   #7
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Good... I'm glad so far the dealer seems to be owning up to their responsibility here. In a nutshell they need to own up that they charged you 3k for a repair that like you said, actually made it worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler didn't contact them behind the scenes and prod them into finishing the work. Make sure that you document absolutely everything during this process. It may seem tedious but you never know what proof you may need down the road.

At this point my best advice to you is stay on them but do it in the nicest way possible. Think about the stories of rude people getting their hamburger spit on in a fast food joint... Be nice and patient and they will take better care of your Jeep... I am still treating my dealer like that despite them having my Liberty for over a month now.

Keep us posted. Oh, and realize that even if they told you the electrical issues are unrelated don't be to sure about that. If that roof had leaked, it most certainly can be causing the random electrical issues. Just read up on rear latch failures on these. It all stems from water leaking into the hatch and messing with the electric latch mechanism.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Definitely. I am trying to stay as calm with them as I can. As far as the electrical I'm dealing with a power door lock actuator failure in my driver door. They said they will replace that 'for my trouble' for free.
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

UPDATE: This Monday will be three weeks into this repair, seven weeks total in the dealer since the issue came up. It's in a body shop because they discovered damage to the car body around the roof that was caused when they removed the original assembly.
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
UPDATE: This Monday will be three weeks into this repair, seven weeks total in the dealer since the issue came up. It's in a body shop because they discovered damage to the car body around the roof that was caused when they removed the original assembly.
Make sure the first thing you do when you get the Jeep back is trade it in. I'm sitting here about to update my own thread and I can't help but comment on this.

Also, make sure to post your troubles on Jeep's official Facebook page. A picture of your vehicle helps legitimize your complaint.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
Make sure the first thing you do when you get the Jeep back is trade it in. I'm sitting here about to update my own thread and I can't help but comment on this.

Also, make sure to post your troubles on Jeep's official Facebook page. A picture of your vehicle helps legitimize your complaint.
I'll be honest with you, this is what a lot have told me. I just can't do it. The car was my graduation gift and the roof is the only thing wrong with it. I'm stuck in a bad place I guess.
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
I'll be honest with you, this is what a lot have told me. I just can't do it. The car was my graduation gift and the roof is the only thing wrong with it. I'm stuck in a bad place I guess.
I totally understand. I've heard it all. Everything from "this is why I don't/won't buy Chrysler products" to "unload it as quick as possible because it will break again."

Unfortunately when mine broke for the 2nd time, I recklessly defied logic and chose to keep it. Afterall, I had just worked my butt off saving every dime to put a huge downpayment down on my KK. This was my first big-boy purchase. My first vehicle expensive enough that I had a car payment. Also, I threw every available cent I had at my loan to pay it down rapidly over the last several months. No way was I going to have to start over...... And then it broke for a third time.

I am lucky, I suppose, that my problem happened during the first few months, and then reoccurred just a few months later. Like I said before, make sure you post your issue on Jeep's facebook page. Mine was just bought back by Chrysler. I cannot stress enough how my communications with a Chrysler Exec came not from my repeated callings to Chrysler Cares, but from my negative post on their facebook page. Social media is powerful. Nobody wants to have a bad image. Chrysler/Jeep cleaned up my situation and have turned me into a satisfied consumer.

I wish you the very best, whichever way this goes for you.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

I appreciate the help from you and everyone else who has helped. I did post on their page earlier but I will post again just to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.