DDM HID kit flickering <no haters please> - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > DDM HID kit flickering <no haters please>

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Jeepism
2011 KK Liberty 

DDM HID kit flickering <no haters please>

I purchased an HID kit from DDM tuning and installed it just as the directions said. The bulbs work perfectly fine when the car is not running but once I start the car and the car is running the bulbs start flickering and going crazy. I even installed a wiring harness with a 30 amp fuse and that didnt seem to change anything or fix the problem. I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on why this is happening and could help me out. Open to try anything. Thanks!!!

Jeepism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
LUV4JEEP

Are the lights secure in the headlight housing??? If not the movement of the engine being on is causing them to "shake" not flicker check and make sure there not loose
LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

A lot of people have this problem when installing HIDs in their Libertys for some reason and usually just take them out. Better on my eyes too
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
LUV4JEEP

I have them installed on my KK ....shush don't let Tom see this....... And so far there amazing (besides having to adjust them a million times so I'm not cause people to have seizures) I've had them on for almost 6 months still going strong
LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Then I won't have to say
remove them and not blind everyone else on the road
To the OP, like mentioned above lots have tried and same issues,
plus not legal
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I purchased a set of Wagner 9005 BLX2 Bright headlight bulbs from Rock Auto for my Gf's Camry and they work awesome for like $20. Now, they are only the brights so you're not blinding people all of the time. What's nice about the Camry the headlight have separate bulbs for low beams and high beams. I wish the Lib was set up the same way. If those HID's don't work out check out Rock Auto they have a nice selection of bulbs some of other makes of some good bulbs are Piaa, and Hella. There is a vendor section too on the forum that may help you out if the HID's don't work out.

Good luck
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepism View Post
Open to try anything. Thanks!!!
Put the correct halogen bulbs back in,problem solved,legal,and no more flickering.
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
I purchased an HID kit from DDM tuning and installed it just as the directions said. The bulbs work perfectly fine when the car is not running but once I start the car and the car is running the bulbs start flickering and going crazy. I even installed a wiring harness with a 30 amp fuse and that didnt seem to change anything or fix the problem. I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on why this is happening and could help me out. Open to try anything. Thanks!!!
sounds like a bad ground to me.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
sounds like a bad ground to me.
It's not a bad ground,it's because the WCM controls the lights and does not like HID's since it was programed for halogen bulbs.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
priebe
2008 KK Liberty 

I bet if you wired in some sort of resistor it would work. There is not enough load on the line and the control module is freaking out. You went from like a 55 watt high amp draw down to a 5 watt low amp draw on that circuit. There are kits out there to add resistors to the headlight wiring or just pick up a couple from RadioShack for like $2.
priebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If you follow on the various forums you would know several have tried these and tried many different things to make them work. In the end they DO NOT, and thats just trying to keep them on as they should be.
We won't even get into the issues with blinding everyone else on the roads due to the light scattering everywhere and being illegal.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Jeepism
2011 KK Liberty 

Appreciate the feedback. The bulbs are secure but I will check the ground after work, and if that doesnt work ill run to radio shack and see about those resistors. If all else fails I guess ill send the HID's back and go back to the stock halogen bulbs. I just dont understand how some HID's work in a Liberty but then some dont. LUV4JEEP, what kit did you use?and did you use a wiring harness and resistors or just plug into the stock harness?
Jeepism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. The bulbs are secure but I will check the ground after work, and if that doesnt work ill run to radio shack and see about those resistors. If all else fails I guess ill send the HID's back and go back to the stock halogen bulbs. I just dont understand how some HID's work in a Liberty but then some dont. LUV4JEEP, what kit did you use?and did you use a wiring harness and resistors or just plug into the stock harness?
None really work if you come right down to it and are honest about it
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
None really work if you come right down to it and are honest about it
we get that you dont like them. however the dude asked a question as to why they are flickering.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
we get that you dont like them. however the dude asked a question as to why they are flickering.
And that has been answered many times, they are not made for the Libertys so no matter how much mumbo jumbo you throw at them, they will not work
So the "dudes" question has been answered

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.