CV Joint Problems after lift Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > CV Joint Problems after lift Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

CV Joint Problems after lift Install

Hey Guys,

So I am having some issues with my CV joints after I installed my lift. As some of you know (rescue, toddmud, Benjamin) I have been having some issues with the RRO lift that I have purchased. They initially sent me too soft of front coil springs which was causing my control arms to hit the top of the pockets before they could touch the bump stops. They addressed the issue by sending my brand new struts, pre assembled with heavier springs.

I got the new ones and put them on Sunday. Everything went together pretty smooth but after the install and we went to go test drive and flex it a bit we noticed my CV Joint on my drivers side was knocking a bit on some movement. All the other control arm issues were resolved with the heavier springs and the JBL bump stop extenders I purchased.

I brought it into the dealership today because the cv joint would be covered under warranty and I wanted to get to it before my warranty ran out. Once they got it on the hoist they called me and said that the CV Joint's angle is way too much and that the bottom of my strut is rubbing on the boot, which in turn ripped the boot and then spit out grease everywhere. Now the first picture below is the vehicle on a hoist so everything was hanging with the tires on. Second and third pictures is the front right tire at full lock both ways sitting on the ground in a normal position when I initially got the lift on with the softer springs 2 months ago so that is why there is no grease.

All of that grease in the first picture was since Sunday to Tuesday. When I took the soft ones off there was no grease anywhere and they were on for 2 months.

Does anyone have any experience with this? There has to be something installed wrong or something else because having essentially the same part in the front for two months didn't cause any issues with the CV Joints. Then I put heavier springs in the front and 2 days later basically both cv joints and boots are shot. I just don't see how 'the lift kit' is at fault. I am honestly hoping there is some type of user error here in the installation.

Obviously I am looking for some serious help on this one because I am the only person in the city with a lifted KK and no shops or dealerships have experience with any lifts period on this vehicle. I am getting fed up with this thing and just want to take it out in the woods and drive it like a jeep is made to be driven. One thing after another is holding me back.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

jeep7.jpg   2013-03-15-14.31.30.jpg   2013-03-15-14.32.34.jpg  
shawnicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Something looks weird in the first pic, the shock looks way off to one side in the spring. Are you using their daystar copy top plates? Did they use the proper sequence if bushings and washers when assembling the shocks and springs. The thing about those top plates is they don't put enough preload on the springs.

Also is it possible that both inner cv boots got nicked or pinched during installation?

I can't see how the clevis fork would contact the cv boots especially during normal driving.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

I just went out and took a couple more picture since the top picture was a little skewed. The first two are the left and right cv joint on a fairly flat surface. There is an angle but not much. The second and third are just showing the flex I put on the suspension and the last two are showing how the cv joints are sitting during that flex. Notice all that grease, I am about to cry!!! haha The struts came pre assembled so I just had to un bolt them and bolt them back in. It could be possible that the boots got pinched during install for sure. Do you think these angles of the cv joints are OK.

Could someone get under their jeep and take a picture of theirs? Preferably someone with a lift in it? and someone that is stock so I have a point of reference to see if the difference is great?
2013-05-07-21.01.10.jpg   2013-05-07-20.58.00.jpg   2013-05-07-21.09.17.jpg   2013-05-07-21.09.36.jpg   2013-05-07-21.09.52.jpg  

2013-05-07-21.10.19.jpg  
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Between the 1st and 3rd pic your UCA balljoints are installed wrong(1st pic).Who's UCA's do you have? JBA or RRO's?
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

Here's how mine sits. Its been that way for 26,000 miles and no problems. The clevis fork changed for 2010 thats why it looks different than yours.
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

AtTheHelm - Is yours lifted? I'm assuming so but I just want to be 100% certain.

tjkj2002 - The 3rd pic on my initial post you are right the UCA's were installed wrong and it's been fixed a couple months ago when they were initially installed. The first pic in my second post they were installed as instructed by RRO. Is that what you meant or do you think they are still installed wrong? They are RRO UCA's, see below. I just didn't install their bump stop extenders because I liked the teraflex ones better.

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/insane_arm.jpg
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
AtTheHelm

Yes ome 927s
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnicles View Post
They are RRO UCA's
That is most likely your whole issue.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

I looked at the difference between the RRO UCA's and JBA's there is hardly any difference. In fact, when I called JBA to order rear coil springs and bump stop extenders from them Brian I believe his name was even mentioned after we got shooting the ***** that they are pissed that RRO copied their design and they are almost identical.

Easiest way to make sure is to check though. Benjamin just installed a Silver edition of JBA's lift. Do you mind taking some comparable photos to my second set on the flat surface and see how yours sit? If anyone else that has a JBA silver lift or comparable can take a picture like AtTheHelm just on the driveway, it would be much appreciated.

I don't mind spending the extra money to get JBA UCA's but before I just go buy it I need to see a little evidence.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

There is a huge difference in copying a design and copying it and making it work
I could copy say an ARB bumper , but will it look and fit as well as the original ARB? heck no since I'm not a full time welder/ fabricator same with RRO..............
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Wheels turned all the way to the left.
Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

toddmudd I totally agree what you are saying for sure and it's great logic.

benjammin has the JBA UCA's and it looks like he has the same angle as mine, I don't see any difference. I asked him to upload some of the UCA so I can see if there is a design difference as well. I dont mind spending the 400 bucks on the JBA UCA's and then really just throwing the RRO ones out but I just want to see some sort of difference.

I sent the same pictures to my dealership and got their suspension person to take a look and he doesn't see anything really wrong with the angle at all and says that is typically what happens when a lift is installed. So the CV's will be replaced tomorrow and I think all of the issues will be sorted out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.