Custom Snorkel Idea...thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Custom Snorkel Idea...thoughts

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

Custom Snorkel Idea...thoughts

So this guy from south america has built a nice custom snorkel out of a KJ snorkel he said. I'm pretty sure its plastic but I think that would be hard to custom build to be honest.

The guys I know and that I wheel with are going to help me build one.

I attached a couple pictures of that dude and his snorkel. Any idea what KJ snorkel is modified to fit his KK

Also, another picture of a snorkel I think would be easy to custom build. Because our hoods go right to the windshield basically, we would have to take the top part of before opening the hood is the only down fall I can see. I think just going on the hood would work because I wouldn't be going any deeper in the water than that! Plus just having it go to the hood would eliminate the oem drain holes by k&n CAI gets air from.

What do you guys think??

1378783_461420783976844_304594046_n.jpg   1385590_461420657310190_1700927029_n.jpg  
expedition-snorkel-rr-2301-2-rp_5275.jpg

shawnicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Seems legit. Wouldn't mind finding more about this KK.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Never seen a KJ one like that I'd sooner say it was from a Toyota or Nissan something along those lines
How are you going to waterproof everything else ?
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Seems legit. Wouldn't mind finding more about this KK.
Tried to add the guy on facebook to see if he would take a photo of the inside of the hood and share some information but nothing yet.
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Never seen a KJ one like that I'd sooner say it was from a Toyota or Nissan something along those lines
How are you going to waterproof everything else ?
Well it's not like I plan on swimming with my KK, I just want the added insurance of having a snorkel so I don't water lock the engine.

What do you mean by waterproofing everything else?
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

mmmm that bumper though.... 'drools'
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

You got my hopes up. After I read this I figured the guy replied on FB. Guess not, I really wanted to see more pics of the rear bumper and everything he did...
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

personally i think it's too beefy looking, but it does have a couple things I would have liked to have like the winch embedded. I like having my winch on a hitch mount but having it always on is a little more convenient when wheeling that's for sure. What I do like is his rear bumper. I sent these to Morgan to see if he could add the spare tire carrier on the back so i'm waiting to see what he comes up with.

Back to the snorkel though, where he has it punched through is fairly wide open, the PCM is there but just out of the way. It would be easy to get pipe to maneuver around from the factory air box, silicone it up, drill a hole out the side of it. Biggest thing is finding that piece of plastic on the outside. I'm assuming he didn't mold it himself, it has to be out there somewhere but today I did leave a message for a plastic molding company close to me to see what i need to give to them for a prototype for them to make. Worst case if I can't find it is I go with option two and just have it coming out the top of my hood.
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnicles
I sent these to Morgan to see if he could add the spare tire carrier on the back so i'm waiting to see what he comes up with.
No carrier yet but the redesign is done
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...812408#p812408
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.