Custom lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Custom lift?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 06-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Custom lift?

So, I've been wanting to lift my Liberty for awhile. Having hung around here for some time I've taken tommud's advice to heart and am avoiding spacer lifts like the plague. However, my 2008 KK at 60K is beginning to sag and in need of a lift. Unfortunately, I am in the middle of getting ready to buy a new home and simply cannot afford the $750 for an OME, which was my original plan.

I am thinking about cobbling together a custom lift, that, while not as good as an OME, would still be far better than a crappy spacer lift. I know that new springs will be the bulk of the purchase cost and was thinking about Ironman HD front springs and OME HD rear springs and then maybe some inexpensive Monroe sensa-trac struts and shocks.

I'm also thinking about just leaving the stock struts and shocks on for a bit and just going with a spring-only upgrade initially and then next year getting upgraded bilstein or OME shocks and struts. Is this even do-able? It would certainly be more affordable for me as I would only have to replace the springs, but I'm concerned that I might damage the shocks. I don't do any really hardcore offroading (Western New York is pretty flat and heavily developed) but it would be nice to be able to go on some light offroad trips without worrying about ripping up my unprotected undercarriage or my worn out springs.

Thoughts? Flames? I need some sage advice.

Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Yeah you could do the spring only lift but you might have issues with your rear shocks topping out. It would also be a pain in the *** to keep the front shocks and then upgrade once you get the money because you will essentially be installing a lift twice. I just don't like the idea. You'll be fine on stock suspension until you can save up for an OME lift.

A good idea might be doing a clevis lift until you get the money saved up for a full lift.

Also user 'crippled' over on LOST is selling a complete OME lift with only about 500 miles on it (don't ask why... ) you might want to send him a PM on what he's asking for it
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Well, if I'm going to do a lift I only want to do it once. It might be worth it to just get the shocks and struts too. I could get the Monroes and they would do the job really well (I've read good things about them from other users here.) They would also be about 1/3 the cost of the Ironman or OME shock/strut sets. I'd just have to figure out the proper lengths to get.

Oh, and now I totally want to know why crippled is getting rid of his OME set.
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
Well, if I'm going to do a lift I only want to do it once. It might be worth it to just get the shocks and struts too. I could get the Monroes and they would do the job really well (I've read good things about them from other users here.) They would also be about 1/3 the cost of the Ironman or OME shock/strut sets. I'd just have to figure out the proper lengths to get.

Oh, and now I totally want to know why crippled is getting rid of his OME set.
It's a long story. Had some noises that ended up being a simple fix. Even after it was fixed, he removed the OME lift.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I think they removed it, and found the fix then he just didn't want to reinstall it. Either way wearyman, try getting in touch with him. It could save you a nice penny on the lift and you'll end up with the parts you originally wanted. I would jump on it if I didn't just order my lift a few days prior lol. If he's still out of your price range, why not just buy it piece by piece and then instal it all at once?
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
I think they removed it, and found the fix then he just didn't want to reinstall it. Either way wearyman, try getting in touch with him. It could save you a nice penny on the lift and you'll end up with the parts you originally wanted. I would jump on it if I didn't just order my lift a few days prior lol. If he's still out of your price range, why not just buy it piece by piece and then instal it all at once?
Just put a post on Crippled's thread. If he's not asking too much I may jump on it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.