Curt trailer wiring harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Curt trailer wiring harness

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Curt trailer wiring harness

Ok, I just received my Curt Wiring harness yesterday but am a little confused. Perhaps anyone else has the same issue. What I ordered (supposedly) was the 55027 T-Connector. What was delivered was a different model number (forgive me I don't have it in front of me right now tp specify product number) however, the box states it is for Libby I have. Now the 55027 from what I have researched does not require a dedicated line run from the power box to the battery. The model I received does. Don't understand why it would need a power line if they are connecting to tail light. So if you have gotten this kit, is it a must to run this line to power the module? And if it is, what is the best way to run this wire from the d/s taillight to the battery without interfering with anything hot or mechanical?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, did a ill more research on Curt website. It is the 56183 harness that I received. Website lists the converter included "as need." So to minimize my question, is it "NEEDED." All the videos that I have found for installation were for the 55027 kit and none showed the need for the installation of the converter.

Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
cowboyupbrad
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575
Ok, I just received my Curt Wiring harness yesterday but am a little confused. Perhaps anyone else has the same issue. What I ordered (supposedly) was the 55027 T-Connector. What was delivered was a different model number (forgive me I don't have it in front of me right now tp specify product number) however, the box states it is for Libby I have. Now the 55027 from what I have researched does not require a dedicated line run from the power box to the battery. The model I received does. Don't understand why it would need a power line if they are connecting to tail light. So if you have gotten this kit, is it a must to run this line to power the module? And if it is, what is the best way to run this wire from the d/s taillight to the battery without interfering with anything hot or mechanical? Thanks in advance! Ok, did a ill more research on Curt website. It is the 56183 harness that I received. Website lists the converter included "as need." So to minimize my question, is it "NEEDED." All the videos that I have found for installation were for the 55027 kit and none showed the need for the installation of the converter.
I just installed one on my 08. I had to run a line from the battery all the way back. It did t into the tail lights. Hardest part was running the wire all the way from front to back. I just ran and zip tied to things that didn't move or get hot.
cowboyupbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
kiwi_outdoors
1997 XJ Cherokee 

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyupbrad View Post
I just installed one on my 08. I had to run a line from the battery all the way back. It did t into the tail lights. Hardest part was running the wire all the way from front to back. I just ran and zip tied to things that didn't move or get hot.
same as what you said - except I got two eyefuls of grit when I installed the tow hitch assembly - now my left eyelid is swollen and I am administering eyedrops 4 times a day
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

So I assume you guys rannthenwirenunder the truck? Just seems ridiculous n don't understand why the harness can't obtain the power directly from the twilight system.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
cowboyupbrad
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors
same as what you said - except I got two eyefuls of grit when I installed the tow hitch assembly - now my left eyelid is swollen and I am administering eyedrops 4 times a day
I got an eyeful also when mounting the hitch. Live and learn. Guess I will wear glasses if ever a next time.
Unread 03-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
cowboyupbrad
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575
So I assume you guys rannthenwirenunder the truck? Just seems ridiculous n don't understand why the harness can't obtain the power directly from the twilight system.
Yea I ran it underneath.
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
cbdeajr
2012 KK Liberty 

12V is supplied to the adapter via a wire on a separate fuse, so ALL trailer lights are on a separate fuse from the rest of the vehicles lights.
Then they use the Stop and Turn signals for each side to combine them to a single output ( filament ) per side since trailers usually do not have separate turn signals, but use the combined filament for the dual purpose of Stop light and turn signal as was on older vehicles. This is done thru solid state trigger and switching devices.

They also do the same with the standard tail lights ( night illumination that comes on with your headlight switch ). They use this to trigger s circuit so the lights get their 12V from that same separate feed above.

Wiring trailer lights direct to the turn, brake and taillight circuit could overload it, cause blinker failure or different rate of blinking and if there is a short circuit on the trailer, the car lights are still functional.
cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
kiwi_outdoors
1997 XJ Cherokee 

power from tail lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post
your idea won't work if regular lights are not on during the day - you would have no brake or turn lights available

now, if you took power from both flasher and running lights via isolating diodes, then combined them, and used lower power LED trailer lights, you may have a winner!

So who wants to test this idea?
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The power wires that go to the battery are for trailer brakes and auxiliary power for a seven pin plug. The brake lights and signals are taken from the tee connector. I got my hitch and wire harness from the dealer. There were two options, 4 pin or 7. The 4 pin only goes to the tail lights while the 7 goes to the front. 2 of the wires go to the battery and the third goes to the brake controller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.