crossbars and kayak rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > crossbars and kayak rack

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
cwhiteman27
2008 KK Liberty 

crossbars and kayak rack

Anyone have a good setup for carrying two 10' kayaks? Preferably under 300$? I only have the factory side bars on my 08 jeep liberty

Thanks

cwhiteman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Well, if you want an inexpensive set of crossbars they are easily made with 1" steel square section tubing that you can find at your local Home Depot. Cut to the proper length and fitted with square "U" bolts they are solid and dependable.

Now, working out the vertical parts to slide the kayaks in between will be a bit trickier, but I'm guessing that more steel tubing and clamps would solve that problem too. Or just a crapload of bungee cords. That always works.
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I have a very similar setup to Wearyman's, but I used round bars and twice as many U-bolts. No complaints here either after hauling heavy stuff. Be sure to use lock nuts so they don't loosen down the road. That first pic was just for fit and regular nuts were on there temporarily.

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Has anyone had any issues with bars sliding or gouging the heck out of their side rails?
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

No issues. I should mention I put a rubber washer in between the crossbars and the side rails to provide some protection from slipping or gouging. I also didn't torque the heck out of the u-bolt nuts, and stopped when they were good and snug. Some folks have crushed their side rails slightly by cranking down too hard on the u-bolts. The galvanized pipe I used for crossbars is far stronger than the side rails.
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
No issues. I should mention I put a rubber washer in between the crossbars and the side rails to provide some protection from slipping or gouging. I also didn't torque the heck out of the u-bolt nuts, and stopped when they were good and snug. Some folks have crushed their side rails slightly by cranking down too hard on the u-bolts. The galvanized pipe I used for crossbars is far stronger than the side rails.
Thanks for the write-ups and feedback. I intend to hit this project soon and looking at all my options.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
ryali

You should just get some high quality used gear. I just got a complete Yakima set up for snow sports off Craigslist for a total of $230. Had to find a couple different listings to piece together, but saved a ton of $. Set up would be over $450 new at REI. Included 4 rail grabs, two crossbars (FYI KK's need at least 58"), two board carriers and a set of six locks.
ryali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

image-3383903852.jpg
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.