cost of alternator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > cost of alternator?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
richla
1997 TJ Wrangler 

cost of alternator?

Hi All:
Am I out of touch with the cost to replace an alternator on a Lyberty?
A local shop just charged my mother $350 to put in a new one.

The Jeep was running and starting just fine, it seems they told her she "needed" a new one. She's 76.
They charged her $280 for it, plus labor, for a total of $350.

I have suspicions about this shop. Do you agree or disagree?
Thanks.

richla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Autozone dot com will give you an idea of what it would have cost you to purchase the alternator.. It appears shop charged about 1 hour labor to test & install it. Depending upon where they purchased the alternator, Dealer or other, their cost will be higher than autozone, plus all shops add $$ to the cost of parts they use. This doesn't make them a bad shop.... they just maybe an expensive shop. Is this a place your Mom went to for the first time, or does she deal with this shop on a regular basis?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
richla
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, they charged an hour of labor. I see autozone at $150, and less, so the $280 price baffles me. You KNOW there is no way they went to a dealer for such a common part. They will mark it up, anyway.
I think these places see an older woman walk in, and see dollar signs.
She's been going there for some time, and thinks they take good care of her. Keep in mind, she can't open the hood, and literally does not know how to turn on the lights for this vehicle, as she will not drive at night.
I'll be getting more involved in helping to maintain this vehicle, real fast, but I think she got the shaft on this one.....
richla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richla View Post
Yes, they charged an hour of labor. I see autozone at $150, and less, so the $280 price baffles me. You KNOW there is no way they went to a dealer for such a common part. They will mark it up, anyway.
She's been going there for some time, and thinks they take good care of her. Keep in mind, she can't open the hood, and literally does not know how to turn on the lights for this vehicle, as she will not drive at night.
I'll be getting more involved in helping to maintain this vehicle, real fast, but I think she got the shaft on this one.....
Well if a alt from autozone costs $150 any shop(and I mean any) will mark that up to $200 or or more(standard is 150% of cost) and then you got labor added on top of that and most labor charges are $80-$120 per hour depending on location.Then you got the diag fees to test the vehicle to find out what is wrong.
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richla View Post
My point being, if this shop is a place that your Mom deals with on a regular basis, they aren't going to cheat her as new client's in this market are just too far and few in between. This doesn't mean that you agree with their prices. Bottomline, if your Mom had called around, she probably would have found some shops that charged a little less, and some that charged a little more. However, being a regular client of a garage has its benefits, and I would give the shop the benefit of doubt as they aren't going to screw someone that spends $$ with them on a regular basis.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I'm not quite sure why the alternator was replaced if the vehicle was starting and running just fine. If the alternator was bad - You might be able to start it, but the vehicle would die - Or, if the battery was already killed by a bad alternator, it wouldn't have started anyway.
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I'm not quite sure why the alternator was replaced if the vehicle was starting and running just fine. If the alternator was bad - You might be able to start it, but the vehicle would die - Or, if the battery was already killed by a bad alternator, it wouldn't have started anyway.
I've driven many vehicles for weeks with a bad alternator,just needed a good battery.You do not need a alternator working to have the vehicle run as long as the battery has enough juice to power the PCM and such it will start and run.

But why was a alternator that is PCM controlled replaced is a good question.If it has the stupid decoupler on it that could have been bad and alot easier to rpelace the whole alternator then just that one part.But if the alternator was not charging or not charging enough that is a PCM problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.