Coolant Question/Preventative Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Coolant Question/Preventative Issue

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

Coolant Question/Preventative Issue

So I have been doing some basic work on my KK the last couple weeks and have notice that my coolant reservoir is low. Engine temps are normal and there are no indicator lights suggesting a problem, but I would like to know how normal this is.

Do coolant reservoirs need to be refilled on occasion? Should I assume that there is a leak?

Under the car recently, I have noticed condensation from the A/C, but it is usually pretty small and I haven't thought much of that.

Any idea how concerned I should be or what I can do about this?

pakman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

How low are you talking about? Have you had the fluids flushed and it wasn't ever brought up to the correct level? If you had an issue you would notice the fluid level decreasing fairly quickly.

I had a 2001 Impala with a cracked head gasket. I noticed I was having to fill up coolant every other month.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

This vehicle was new to me at 113k miles. Now 3,000 later, I noticed it. Never knew the tank to be especially full though. Everything ran at-temp and smoothly (and continues to do so), but I just want to make sure this isn't something that will become an issue in the future, and if it might, how I can rectify it.

The level is down to the very lowest scallop in the reservoir. It appears to be steady from that point though.
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I would fill it up to halway between the Max and Min lines, using HOAT coolant (as the owners manual states), and keep an eye on it. I think coolant slowly evaporates out of the coolant bottle (over the years), as the lid is not exactly airtight. I had to fill mine up a bit after I bought it, but haven't had trouble since. If you really do have an engine problem, you'll be filling it every month or sooner. I had an XJ with a cracked head and that's what happened. I don't expect you'll have a problem like that. You could always try replacing your radiator cap, too, and see if the loss stops.
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Keep in mind too that coolant expands when hot and contacts when cold. So the level will be different in your coolant bottle depending on whether the engine is warmed up.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
I would fill it up to halway between the Max and Min lines, using HOAT coolant (as the owners manual states), and keep an eye on it. I think coolant slowly evaporates out of the coolant bottle (over the years), as the lid is not exactly airtight. I had to fill mine up a bit after I bought it, but haven't had trouble since. If you really do have an engine problem, you'll be filling it every month or sooner. I had an XJ with a cracked head and that's what happened. I don't expect you'll have a problem like that. You could always try replacing your radiator cap, too, and see if the loss stops.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think of it as a problem... yet. And I'm not sure that I could even definitively call it a loss of coolant as I haven't seen it decrease (and certainly not to any measurable degree).

I'll probably look into filling that this weekend.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

You would know it if you had a coolant leak.. maybe you wouldn't see the drip, but if you had an issue. I'm fairly certain you would know about it.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
You would know it if you had a coolant leak.. maybe you wouldn't see the drip, but if you had an issue. I'm fairly certain you would know about it.
That's the way I thought about it, but I am one of those people who doesn't let small issues like that go easily. I'll have an aneurysm one day.
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

But yet you say

"I'll probably look into filling that this weekend."

so you're not really too concerned . No matter if I thought if it was leaking or not I'd be filling it to the required level today
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Mine was low a while ago as well. I since received a letter from mopar for a recall on water pumps with a W on it. I don't know if you'd be covered but it's worth looking into.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
But yet you say

"I'll probably look into filling that this weekend."

so you're not really too concerned . No matter if I thought if it was leaking or not I'd be filling it to the required level today
You would have to understand the context of my life right now. Prep football coach (in season) and school teacher. I don't get home until well after 8 at night so there is no service department I could even buy the HOAT fluid from even open during my available hours.

Anyway, I topped off today, got about 150 miles in without seeing a single drop puddle up below the vehicle or anything spraying inside that might indicate a bad hose.

Tonight's cold sit will be a test, but it would seem that it was just due to long term evaporation and negligence by the previous owner.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Now to look into hitch receivers and new tires...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.