JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Compass or Patriot (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/compass-patriot-1483326/)

rescue575 02-23-2013 08:02 AM

Compass or Patriot

Ok, for those who have or have had in the past...It's time to trade in my old "get me to work" Toyota and get something new for the wife. I was originally looking into the Suburu Legacy, but when Poncherello said people who drive Suburu's are weird, I decided to look into other options. Ha ha ha, JK Ponch!

Main reason I was looking here is because wanted something at least AWD and decent gas mileage since wife and I both travel over 60 miles in city traffic each day.

When I was looking into the Patriot and Compass, and saw that their fuel consumption is pretty equivalent to the Legacy, however about $100 a month cheaper I got her convinced to look at another jeep.

So now I am here and would like some input and opinions on which route I should go. I have always like the Patriot better (when the compass first showed its face) but now that it has been redesigned and looks like a baby Grand Cherokee I am prett impartial now. Looking at the different features it looks like you get more without having to do add ones or option on the compass. And when building the patriot to be comparable they fall around the same price.

HELP, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK!!!!!!

carlosburitica 02-23-2013 09:35 AM

we drove both cars when i got my kk, about a month ago, thin king on my wife also, they are ery alike, but feel like the patriot is more like a jeep, feel like king of car, interiors are basically the same, being the compass a little more luxurious, as you said compass look like a small g. cherokee.

i will give by tumb up to the patriot

Drednot 02-23-2013 10:12 AM

Stay away from the CVT transmission if they are still offering those.

rescue575 02-23-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drednot (Post 15021362)
Stay away from the CVT transmission if they are still offering those.

Think that's all they offer. Why is that?

carlosburitica 02-23-2013 12:04 PM

The cvt transmission works kind of like a bicycle. You don't feel the gears changing. The fluid is really expensive.

I have it on my 98 Honda civic, 120k miles and never gave me a problem.

CajunPatriot 02-26-2013 06:31 AM

Had a '07 Patriot Limited. Never had a problem with the CVT. Sold it to a co-worker and he put over 100k miles on it and absolutely loves it.

rescue575 02-26-2013 06:43 AM

Yea I'm sure the wife wouldn't even realize the difference. Think she just puts the key in the ignition and hits the gas! Lol.

What is more expensive about it? I assume it would require a different fluid then a regular transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Lehman26 02-26-2013 07:46 AM

We love our 12 compass with FD2...very smooth compared to our KK. Also been through as much snow as our kk and handled it just as well. Also getting around 22 mpg...if you get FD1 should be able to get high 20's. CVT is something i got used to quick and it works great with the 2.4l engine.

Drednot 02-26-2013 08:17 AM

They have a reputation for not lasting much past 60K miles.
Its a snowmobile transmision with a metal band instead of a rubber band.
They generate more heat than a conventional auto trans and they start to overheat more often as they wear. They need to have aux coolers and strict maintainence from new in order to have a chance to last 100K.

My buddy bought a used Caliber with 75K on the clock even after I told him to steer clear of CVTs as he was looking at nissans with that trans.

Trans overheat light came on while driving on the freeway for the first time forcing the car to slow to a crawl. Its causing him all sorts of financial hardships since its his only transportation and his wife lost her job while it was in the shop for a week.

JeepCares 02-26-2013 11:04 AM

2014 Patriot -

With a FWD, you get a choice of these transmissions:
5-SPEED MANUAL T355 TRANSMISSION
6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

With a 4X4, you get a choice of these transmissions:
5-SPEED MANUAL T355 TRANSMISSION
6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
CONT.VAR. W/OFF-RD CRAWL (CVT)

Lehman26 02-26-2013 11:07 AM

Take care of the CVT and do scheduled fluid changes and youll be fine..i know a ton of ppl with them that have well over 100k with no issues!

The time now is 04:35 AM.