Command Trac 4wd LOCK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Command Trac 4wd LOCK

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
kxeddiexp

Command Trac 4wd LOCK

Ok so i have the 2012 liberty sport command trac II. it has 2wd , 4WD LOCK, and 4 WD Low.

I know 4WD Lock is only to be used on slippery surfaces. Such as heavy rain or snow. If you use 4WD Lock on dry surface and try to make a u-turn or park into a tight space in a parking lot, it will lock up and if you force it, you will experience wheel hop. almost feels like driving with the e-brake on.

here is my question:
it was raining pretty hard yesterday so i switched on the 4wd LOCK and started driving on the highway. it was fine but when i got off the highway to the shopping mall and tried to park the car, it got so stiff the wheels started to hop!

so does this mean i have to turn off the 4WD LOCK when getting off the highway into a local parking lot or to make sharp turns?

that sucks!

anyone?

kxeddiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This topic has been hashed around on other threads. Another KK guy mentioned that rain doesn't necessarily qualify as "slippery surface" with the 4lock on CTII. I think that could be debated. Still, if you are getting binding during a simple parking maneuver put it in 2wd. You don't need 4wd just to park. As far as the highway during rain, I kind of see the point about 4lock not being beneficial cause what you're looking at is the potential for hydroplaning - not slippage.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Wet pavement is still a high traction surface,do not use 4wd lock(part time) on wet pavement.
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Only use 4 wheel drive on surfaces that have the ability to move under the tire. Such as snow, dirt, gravel, etc. Failure to do so will result in premature drive train wear and could lead to catastrophic failure. Because the front and rear drive shafts are locked together during 4x4 mode the wheels will rotate at the same rpm. The front wheels need to be able to rotate at different speeds to facilitate turning. The only way possible for this is with slippage between the tire and ground. If the wheel cannot slip it causes binding in the drive train. Merely wet pavement will provide extremely little to no slippage at all. Not good.
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11 View Post
Only use 4 wheel drive on surfaces that have the ability to move under the tire. Such as snow, dirt, gravel, etc. Failure to do so will result in premature drive train wear and could lead to catastrophic failure. Because the front and rear drive shafts are locked together during 4x4 mode the wheels will rotate at the same rpm. The front wheels need to be able to rotate at different speeds to facilitate turning. The only way possible for this is with slippage between the tire and ground. If the wheel cannot slip it causes binding in the drive train. Merely wet pavement will provide extremely little to no slippage at all. Not good.
You kinda got the idea but the t-case locks the front and rear driveshafts together.Lockers are the only thing that locks both wheels on each axle together an dthe KK has no OEM locker option.The reason for no 4wd lock(part time) on a traction surface is that you have 2 different axles.The front is the D30M and the rear is the 8.25.Since the diffs are different you can not get the same gear ratio front and rear.They are close but not the same as you must have the same diff front and rear to have the same gear ratio like the Rubicon Wranglers with D44's front and rear.The front axle will always be geared higher then the rear on a mismatched diff setup(front tires spin faster) so even if driving in a straight line you will get driveline bind.
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You kinda got the idea but the t-case locks the front and rear driveshafts together.Lockers are the only thing that locks both wheels on each axle together an dthe KK has no OEM locker option.The reason for no 4wd lock(part time) on a traction surface is that you have 2 different axles.The front is the D30M and the rear is the 8.25.Since the diffs are different you can not get the same gear ratio front and rear.They are close but not the same as you must have the same diff front and rear to have the same gear ratio like the Rubicon Wranglers with D44's front and rear.The front axle will always be geared higher then the rear on a mismatched diff setup(front tires spin faster) so even if driving in a straight line you will get driveline bind.
Good stuff tj - I always learn something new on this forum.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Good stuff tj - I always learn something new on this forum.
Just some examples that I know of.......

For my KJ,sorry not 100% sure for KK's.

D30A/8.25 4.10's is actuall 4.09 gear ratio for the D30A,4.10 gear ratio for the 8.25.

HP44 front/RJ60 rear is 5.13 gear ratio front,5.14 gear ratio for the rear.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Wow! Learned something about my Jeep today! Thanks for the tidbit!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.