cobra_4's 2011 KK Build/Trip Log Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > cobra_4's 2011 KK Build/Trip Log Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

cobra_4's 2011 KK Build/Trip Log Thread

Well its not officially mine until I sign the paperwork tomorrow but no better time to start a thread than the present! Finally getting back into a Jeep after an almost two year absence from my Wrangler Unlimited. Its a 2011 Liberty, got just over 50k miles on it, all stock.

This thread will be part build thread, part photo thread, kind of a diary of sorts for it. I love the overland concept and the whole idea, although living in the south there aren't as many chances and roads to explore for days at a time like there are out west so most of my trips will be day long, although I do have her maiden voyage camping trip planned in late October.

This will be my dd too so I don't plan on getting too crazy, I'm not interested in rock climbing or anything like that so a big lift won't be needed, but I would like to do a 2'' to get some bigger tires under it. All the usual mod's are in the plans, lights, roof rack, etc. etc.

Here are a few more photos, these are the ones I took of the dealership website.

First on the to-do list is a good detailing, its got some scratches down the side I'd like to get out, although I'm sure more will follow.
I wanna get a good coat of wax on it to help protect the paint.
The headlights are in major need of cleaning, can't stand a fogged over light.
Speaking of headlights, an upgraded bulb will be coming shortly.
The side trim is a little faded, gotta get that blackened back up.
The first major mod will be a hitch, I gotta be able to pull my side by side up to me deer hunting property.

I'll post up updates as I go along, trip logs as I take them. Hopefully this will turn out to be a pretty cool thread in the end!

cobra_4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

Looks good. Nice Color!
Fuel Revolver 16X8
Rock Lizard Basket Rack

Her- 2011 WK2 Laredo X, Brilliant Black
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Looks good, can't wait to see her be built. Do some reading before jumping into lifts. Pretty much the highest you can go is about 4-4.25". So nothing we can run is really "big".

Basically you have spacer lifts. They're cheap, and you get what you pay for. They lift off the stock springs. So say you get a "2.5" lift", but sagged an inch below stock, you really only get 1.5" of lift. They keep the stock ride, and are generally harsh on the springs.

Then you have true spring shock lifts. Ironman will get 2.25", OME(make sure you get 927 front springs and 731 rear springs) will get 2.5". They average $800 or so.

You can add some extras to those lifts for 3-3.5". Anything over 3" will need a-arms though. Or you can get the Tommudd econo lift kit for around $1300(I believe).

If you want top of the line, Jeepin' By Al makes an adjustable coil over kit. He sells a 2.5" kit and a 4" kit. The front adjust-a-strut coil overs are the same for the 2.5" and 4" kits. You can adjust the front to fine tune the height and make adjustments for sag, breaking in, and if/when you add metal bumpers or more weight. BUT you're going to pay a lot for those(unless you get lucky and find a sweet deal on a used kit).
Unread 09-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the info! Honestly the more I look, the more I'm not sure I even want to do a lift. I'm not too worried about ground clearance, I just wanted to run bigger tires for a more aggressive look. Its got a 235/70-16 on it right now(assuming thats stock size) and from the looks of most people, I'm not gonna pick up much tire with the lift. I may just throw a set of spacers on to give it that more aggressive wide look and spend my money in other places for the time being.
Unread 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

You basically go from a 29" tire to a 31". Not a huge increase, but it's something. If you get up to 3.5-4+" you can run a 32. I just like the fact that I don't drag when caught in ruts.
Unread 09-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Upgrades!!!

Its supposed to flood later today and I quickly found out over the weekend that my wipers SUCK. It was on my normal upgrade list, but it has to happen sooner now than later!

Old sucky blades.

New Bosch Icon's! Had great success with these before, I usually run them on about everything.

I got REALLY lucky, when I pulled the passenger side up to change it, the blade fell off in my hand, the clip had broke at some point! Close call!!!

Also just ordered be a set of Rugged Ridge floor mats for it, for some reason, the previous owner decided to keep all the mats!
Unread 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Well I had to do some unexpected maintenance today. Yesterday morning when I went out to go to work the battery was dead. I wasn't sure if I'd left anything on, but I didn't have time to mess with it. So last night I jumped it off, cranked right up, drove it for a half an hour, shut it off, fired right back up, good to go? Nope, dead again this morning. Jumped it off and got it to work and put a test on it which confirmed it was bad. It looked like the stock battery and from the looks of car fax the Jeep has spent the last year bouncing from a dealer to an auction to the dealer I got it from so who knows how many times its went dead and got jumped off between now and then.

The old battery.

I had planned on an upgrade anyway, I knew the 600 cca stocker wasn't gonna be sufficient for accessories during camping, etc. I really want to go with a nice on board monitoring system one day, but for now that's not in the budget. I'm an Interstate Batteries dealer so of course that's the direction I wanted to go in. I thought about one of their new AGM batteries, but in the end for the money I decided to go with an MTP78DT. I like the dual terminal because it gives me extra room to hook up accessories later, and the MTP has 1000 cranking amps, so it should provide plenty of juice.

Even though its not the stock replacement, they call for a 34, the 78 has the exact same case size, the terminals are just a little of, so I had to slightly bend my terminals, but other than that it went right in.

I'm glad I changed the battery, I found out I'm missing my battery hold down, defiantly a must for the trails so I got one ordered off of ebay.

Did find a nasty scratch under the hood I hadn't noticed, time to order some touch up paint.

On another side note, did find a nice feature on the jeep, the dash tray is perfect for an open carry fire arm!
Unread 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
Thanks for the info! Honestly the more I look, the more I'm not sure I even want to do a lift. I'm not too worried about ground clearance, I just wanted to run bigger tires for a more aggressive look. Its got a 235/70-16 on it right now(assuming thats stock size) and from the looks of most people, I'm not gonna pick up much tire with the lift. I may just throw a set of spacers on to give it that more aggressive wide look and spend my money in other places for the time being.
Bad choice, will ride worse, handle worse and will kill your springs and shocks even quicker. If you "upgrade" to better springs and shocks it will handle and ride so much better than it ever did stock.
I would never advise anyone to use a spacer lift unless they just liked looking at it sitting in the driveway. I would sooner not do a lift than do it cheaply with a spacer " just for looks"
Unread 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Bad choice, will ride worse, handle worse and will kill your springs and shocks even quicker. If you "upgrade" to better springs and shocks it will handle and ride so much better than it ever did stock.
I would never advise anyone to use a spacer lift unless they just liked looking at it sitting in the driveway. I would sooner not do a lift than do it cheaply with a spacer " just for looks"
I didn't mean a spacer lift, I meant wheel spacers to push the tires out a little, that shouldn't effect the ride or drive should it?
Unread 10-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
I didn't mean a spacer lift, I meant wheel spacers to push the tires out a little, that shouldn't effect the ride or drive should it?
Unlifted you'll stand a very good chance of rubbing a lot on the wheelwell liners
Unread 10-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #11
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

Look around the forums for a while... find as many threads and pics of lifted KK's and the lifts that were used as you can.... I researched for over a year before I pulled the trigger on a lift.

Determine what you are going to use the Jeep for.... my whole project was to create a KK that could plow snow and have the ground clearance and tires to go through 2 feet of snow without issue, as well as tow my trailers and other cars with my tow dolly. And if I ever decide to get into some wheeling, it can do that as well.
Unread 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Finally got my mats in, had them for a day or two just couldn't find the time to get to the car wash to vacuum it out.

I had Rugged Ridge mats in my Wrangler and loved them, I expect the same with these. I could tell they had been in the box for a while though, they are a little deformed but they should straighten out find in a week or so. I guess KK mats aren't flying of the shelf now a days like they were a few years ago.

Also got my new battery hold down in and got that taken care of.

The go pro and nikon batteries are charging, unless its just a total down pour in the am, me and the wife have a couple of hour ride mapped out, photos and video to come! The leaves are really popping, this week and next are gonna be the peak looks like.
Unread 10-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Finally got a chance to take the Jeep off the beaten path today. With fall colors peaking I knew it was the perfect time to get away for a little Sunday drive.

So after a quick breakfast at our favorite local joint me and the wifey headed out. The original plans were to go out to our family property, put some corn out for the deer and put out my trail cameras's. Then head up the mountain towards Hayesville, NC, but cut across Rainbow Springs, an 11 mile dirt road across the mountain. A road I'd heard my dad talk about riding motorcycles on years ago, many times, but a road I'd never been on.

Arriving at our property, here's the field beside the gate, one of our better spots for deer hunting, once it dies down a little. You probably can't see them, but there is a bunch of Turkey up there.

This was to be a big test for my Jeep because this is half the reason I bought it. When I'm gonna be in the woods for long periods of time, I bring my side by side, but its nice to be able to drive something up to check on food or camera's if needed, one of the biggest things I missed about my Wrangler.

Going up the mountain it did great, it was wet out and there were tons of leaves but it never broke traction one time, very impressed!

Up at the water overflow tank, I'll be back up here in two weeks on the Jeep's first camping trip, can't wait!!

From there it was back down the mountain a ways and over to "the orchard", although there hasn't been an apple tree there in many years, there was at one time. Now its my main hunting area. We bush hogged and cut out most of it earlier in September, it hasn't looked this good in a long time! Excited to see what the season brings.

From here I had to go back up toward the top of the mountain to turn around to go back down, I had a little tire spin the second time up, but nothing major.

On the way back down however, I quickly readjusted my lift plans, I thought my only reason for wanting a lift was bigger tires, I know know I need the ground clearance, I bottomed out two or three times really hard, stupid mistakes on rocks I've been dodging for years on side by side, motorcycles and atv's but I really figured I'd clear them.

Once at the bottom I had to stop in the main field for a quick photo op.

From here we had planned on going to Rainbow Springs like I had mentioned earlier, but when my phone got service I had a message from my buddy who is going to help me do hardwood floors in the nursery at my house and with a new born only a month or so away, I had to change plans so we could do some measuring and what not. We did however ride to the top of the mountain anyway, around the out skirts of Standing Indian Campground, but instead of heading across, we headed back down the mountain and for home.

I have some great video, I'll share it when I get it processed and uploaded!
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Putting together some of my early planned mods this week!

Got my vent shades in and put on, wasn't sure about the look, really was going for the function, but they look pretty good! Not crazy about how they are designed to fit around the mirror, but they work.

Also got my hitch in.

It's getting put on right now, or actually should be on by now, I went the lazy way and got my buddy to throw it up there for me.

Also getting the cabin air filter changed as well as the oil. The dealership had just done it, but who knows what they put in it.
Unread 10-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
cobra_4
2011 KK Liberty 

Finally got the video put together from the other weekend, some of the files went bad on me but I was able to save two short clips from my go pro's. No fancy editing or anything, just wanted to get it together so I could get it uploaded!

http://jdsmotorsports.wordpress.com/...ep-liberty-kk/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.