changing axle and tranfer case fluids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > changing axle and tranfer case fluids

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
jeepster09
2009 KK Liberty 

changing axle and tranfer case fluids

took my 09 KK Limited in for service, oil change, tire rotation, dealer says "it's time" to change axle and transfer case fluids, $300, and power steering should be flushed and changed, $85. " it is showing signs of being dirty".

KK has 27000 miles, it is driven mostly on pavement. I dont see anything in owners manual about changing these fluids, it mostly says to check them at certain intervals. what do you think, is it necessary?

jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Axles need to be done every 18K, Transfer case i believe is 60K
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

You can do diff cases (axles) and xfer case yourself. Very easy on almost any truck. Diff cases you will need a gasket or you can use RTV, up to you. Xfer case you simply unbolt, drain, and fill up. My rover has single fill and drain bolts for the diff cases though, so it's super easy compared to the Jeeps. But it has other glitches that make up for it, aluminum engine block that does NOT like heat.....lol

I might pay them to do the power steering though, it can be a pain to bleed, and you definitely do not want air in the line. Might be worth 85 bucks.

Me personally, I would hold off on the axles and xfer case though, unless you took in some deep water/mud, and do the transmission fluid instead, possibly a coolant flush also.

I would rank tranny and coolant fluid (flushes and refill on both) more important than axle and xfer case gear oil for sure @ 30k miles. Esp if your on road mostly.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elt31987 View Post
Axles need to be done every 18K, Transfer case i believe is 60K
The above is true for the axles since synthetic gear oil is used.

Just remember "Oil is cheap but a engine,trans,t-case,and diffs are not".The more often you service them the better in the long run for your wallet.
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

I did the trans and rear axle.... used castrol ATF+4 for the trans and mobil 75w90 for the rear axle ....

The Trans fluid change was somewhat messy and smelled terrible. The rear axle fluid was very easy to replace.

satan (dealer) wants $395 to replace the trans fluid and filter. $249 to do the rear axle.

PLEASE: take the old fluids to a recycling center, most auto store will take them.
5268092_image.jpg   x044.jpg   kgrhqqokiie12phgqttbnkn5os-0_12.jpg  
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.