Came here for some advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Came here for some advice

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
phatal27

Came here for some advice

It's quite obvious you all love your libertys. However I came here for some honest advice. I need a 4x4 vehicle (hunting, and dog purposes). I keep finding myself going back to the liberty because of the looks and features. What vehicles I am in between are the ford escape (more I read the more weary I get), and Jeep grand c. Limited.

It's easy to say "if you like it, get it" well I just want to make a proper purchase. So I have come here in hoping you all will give me the good's and the bad's. Any help if obviously appreciated!

Thanks again.

phatal27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Get what you want,if you don't like it there just is no point and will hate life and do nothing but complain like 90% of those on these boards.No one can tell you what you like or do not like.If a Liberty suits your needs and you like it then buy it,if not then don't and yes it is just that simple.
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
phatal27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Get what you want,if you don't like it there just is no point and will hate life and do nothing but complain like 90% of those on these boards.No one can tell you what you like or do not like.If a Liberty suits your needs and you like it then buy it,if not then don't and yes it is just that simple.
Well I just don't make purchases like that, I was just looking for some honesty with the vehicle overall. Im not asking you to convince me to buy it. I like to make an informed decision on something expensive as a vehicle. Sorry you feel like it's picking the prettiest apple.

Coming here is just more inside information, it's obvious you all like your jeeps otherwise you would have gotten rid of them, maybe there is something I wouldn't know as an outside buyer? Or maybe there is something that is great but there is a downfall.

I wasn't as bland to come out here and say "hey, make the decision for me". So could we save the obvious for yourself please?
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am looking at trading up possibly. I love love love my liberty, but with 2 dogs and future offspring, I want more room. Just something to consider. The liberty has a lot of room, but hauling a kiddo, 2 dogs, and a stroller just won't be easy. Also, it can be limited stock for off roading to hunting sites. I also have an LJ Rubicon and it is of course way more trail capable. The low ground clearance is what makes me weary of taking my KK even on some 1-3 class trails. If you have the $$ to throw a lift in it will be great though.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
snowbirdIN
2012 KK Liberty 

I bought a 2012 Latitude in Nov and have towed a trailer with motorcycle in it to FL, spent the winter and then towed it back to IN. The gas mileage could of been better but I like the ride, handles and drives very nice. Very solid, no squeaks or rattles, no wind noise. I've owned a lot of vehicles in my lifetime, like my Jeep Liberty very well. The only downfall I can think of would be the gas mileage, and I can live with that. I only put about 10,000 miles a year on it and am getting about 18 mpg, that's not pulling the trailer.
snowbirdIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Katie what kind of dogs do you have? I have a 6mo old and the Liberty is fits us fine. I can't see needing a ford excursion for one kid. The stroller fits fine in the back and my daughter sits behind me. I'm 6'2 and still plenty of leg room.

I did come from a Patriot so the added room does seem noticeable to me. My only gripe is the Mpgs.. But you should know that going into it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
phatal27

Yeah it's not the best MPGs but what good SUV gets amazing MPG. I can live with that too, I can't live with a crappy vehicle though.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

I have driven an Escape at work and own a Libby. The Escape is pretty much a small mall crawler. I think the KK would be better suited for your needs although you should be honest with yourself about how much room you would need down the road. Will you eventually be lugging kids, their stuff, and the dogs or only hunting gear and dogs. If only gear and pups, the KK should be fine. If the vehicle will be around for a while and you throw kids in the mix, the Grand C may ultimately be better for you.
Fuel Revolver 16X8
Rock Lizard Basket Rack

Her- 2011 WK2 Laredo X, Brilliant Black
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

Me personally I wouldn't buy another ever in my lifetime. For one I've never owned a vehicle that the resale value fell so so hard after only 1 year. Was offered like 10k less than what I owed for a trade in. The suspension suck on them, my drivers side saggs a bit and that's considered normal. The stereo is nice since I have the 40 gig hard drive and the blue tooth is a nice feature. My stroller that has the bike attachment won't fit in the rear hatch but it fits perfectly in the wife's jetta. The 4x4 works ok,but if it's serious your gonna get stuck unless u have lockers installed. For mall crawling it works pretty good , the only reason I bought it was because it reminded me of the xj I had that is far superior IMO for a 2k truck compared to the 30k I spent . This is just my two cents.
I wouldn't get the escape either , ford was having trouble with the Eco boost motors catching fire. That's coming from a ford guy. As soon as I can trade my liberty in I'm gonna.
Sorry if some of u hate my comments but it's the truth.
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatal27 View Post
It's quite obvious you all love your libertys. However I came here for some honest advice. I need a 4x4 vehicle (hunting, and dog purposes). I keep finding myself going back to the liberty because of the looks and features. What vehicles I am in between are the ford escape (more I read the more weary I get), and Jeep grand c. Limited.

It's easy to say "if you like it, get it" well I just want to make a proper purchase. So I have come here in hoping you all will give me the good's and the bad's. Any help if obviously appreciated!

Thanks again.
I really enjoy my KK. First vehicle I ever bought.

For you hunting needs, there is a ton of room. Not sure how much you need to take, but the rear seats AND front passenger seat fold flat giving a ton of room. You could also get a roof rack...

More questions to ask ya: Will you commute to work in this vehicle? Mileage isn't great, but you can manage 20-21 mpg on the highway stock.

What are you currently driving? The Liberty is almost definitely better than what you have.

Besides mileage, a big complaint you will hear about the KK is the transmission. It's a 4 speed and the 4th gear is your overdrive. You get used to it, but it took me a few months to stop complaining about it.

You should probably try to price out a few Libertys and other vehicles and let us know what ya come up with. We could probably tell ya if you're getting a good or bad deal on a Liberty. Good luck!
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
WisSTEEL
2012 KK Liberty 

If you are seriously considering this vehicle for hunting your probably not
much of a hunter. I own this vehicle and would never hunt with it, that
being said, I also own a truck that I hunt with. How do you intend on
bringing home a dead deer or elk with an suv. I'm pretty sure you don't want
a dead, cut open, bloody animal in it, especially in a semi luxury vehicle.
it's just not practical for the use of hunting. why don't you go look at a
mid-sized truck that probably gets better gas mileage, you don't have to
lift it and is more practical for the use you intent. If I were you I would
look at the Toyota Tacoma.
2012 cherry red KK, Rocklizard front, At the Helm rear, Stock 3.73 gears, 31/10.50-15r BFG KM2, Vision soft 8 15in wheels, super hides custom front and rear seat covers, First Idaho deer hanging from rear view (spike), Little things here and there. 14000 miles-13.49MPG
WisSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisSTEEL View Post
If you are seriously considering this vehicle for hunting your probably not
much of a hunter. I own this vehicle and would never hunt with it, that
being said, I also own a truck that I hunt with. How do you intend on
it's just not practical for the use of hunting. why don't you go look at a
mid-sized truck that probably gets better gas mileage, you don't have to
lift it and is more practical for the use you intent. If I were you I would
look at the Toyota Tacoma.
Good point about the dead deer.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
How do you intend on
bringing home a dead deer or elk with an suv.
I'm not a hunter but I think there is your answer. (unless you use one of those totes that go in the trailer hitch which I think would be a pain in the neck)
Fuel Revolver 16X8
Rock Lizard Basket Rack

Her- 2011 WK2 Laredo X, Brilliant Black
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisSTEEL View Post
How do you intend on
it's just not practical for the use of hunting.
Uhm....I did it when my KK was 3 months old....not that hard, you just better be driving nice lol. Get the deer butchered where you hunt so you don't have to haul the whole thing.

Honestly, my biggest gripe with the KK is the gas mileage(it's a Jeep don't expect anything great) and the ifs, but even then I'm still lifted 3-3.5" and rides great. Off road it is a lot more capable then you think. Like I said before, I brought it hunting 3 months old. Completely stock it made it through some soupy mud and had room for hunting gear for 3. Granted I wasn't putting a 3 month old truck down quad trails, but it was fine in mud etc.
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
Katie what kind of dogs do you have? I have a 6mo old and the Liberty is fits us fine. I can't see needing a ford excursion for one kid. The stroller fits fine in the back and my daughter sits behind me. I'm 6'2 and still plenty of leg room.

I did come from a Patriot so the added room does seem noticeable to me. My only gripe is the Mpgs.. But you should know that going into it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have a 60lb husky and a 60lb lab. They take up the back trunk area.

Also, how does the front passenger seat fold flat?! I've never been able to get mine to do that.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.