A/C not that cold? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > A/C not that cold?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

I always buy shell since I have a gas card for them so that I think helps. I'll let you know what AAMCO says this week when I use their free AC assessment.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #17
Ted15
2010 KK Liberty 

There is a way to replace R12 with R134a. Their properties are pretty close but you should never mix refrigerants. Besides it being a bad idea, it's illeagle. You'll also need to change the oil, 134a won't carry mineral oil.
SOME of the recharge cans are ok, NOT the ones with stop leak. Make sure it has oil in it as well. Usually when refrigerant leaks it takes a little oil with it.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Any update on this? My wife said my KK wasn't blowing really cold.. but only cool... I'll have to take it by the dealer and have them check it out.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

If your vehicle is 3-5 years old, and the a/c has not been serviced, then chances are it is due. It's a fact of life with R134A, its smaller molecular structure lets it seep thru hoses that R12 wouldn't. Its also harder to detect without dye. Even with dye it can be hard, because a small leak may not allow dye to pass thru, just the gas. Over time, the charge gets less, and becomes contaminated with air, and moisture. These systems must be pure to cool correctly!
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
There is a way to replace R12 with R134a. Their properties are pretty close but you should never mix refrigerants. Besides it being a bad idea, it's illeagle. You'll also need to change the oil, 134a won't carry mineral oil.
SOME of the recharge cans are ok, NOT the ones with stop leak. Make sure it has oil in it as well. Usually when refrigerant leaks it takes a little oil with it.
R12 has not been used is like 20 years,heck R134A is going to be banned here soon.R134A is already banned in Europe,total ban by 2017 where you can not even service R134A in Europe.

Oh and by the way if your properly licensed you can get and service R12 systems in the US,nothing illegal about if your licensed.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

I think 1994 was the last model year R12 was used in mobile applications, wasn't it? May have been 1995. No Liberties were ever sold with the stuff. Cant wait to see the headaches we get from R1234yf.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
Ted15
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

R12 has not been used is like 20 years,heck R134A is going to be banned here soon.R134A is already banned in Europe,total ban by 2017 where you can not even service R134A in Europe.

Oh and by the way if your properly licensed you can get and service R12 systems in the US,nothing illegal about if your licensed.
I'm licensed but that stuff is crazy expensive. I thought they were still using R12 in Europe until recently when we started phasing out R22. Why would they stop using R144A? There's no chlorine in it, any word on the replacement?
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I'm licensed but that stuff is crazy expensive. I thought they were still using R12 in Europe until recently when we started phasing out R22. Why would they stop using R144A? There's no chlorine in it, any word on the replacement?
No R12 has been long gone.The replacement for R134A is R1234yf and is flammable which sould go over well here with all the sue happy poeple.
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
You mean R134A? The reason for the replacement, is because of it's greenhouse footprint. It is a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2. For that reason, since the ozone hole is fixing itself, now the crisis is the political mindset of global warming. Don't confuse this with the scientific theory of climate change. Big difference.
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #25
Ted15
2010 KK Liberty 

Yea, it was a misprint ;-).
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I drove about 300+ miles and my AC began to blow warmer air at the end of the trip. Shut it down and pulled over. 1st thing I noticed no water was leaking from underneath the vehicle lie it use to do. Secondly, the line was frozen solid .

Taking it to the dealership soon for that, the clock issue and splash back when filling it up at the gas station. I hope the warranty covers most of it. If not my axe will do the rest lol.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #27
JSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
I drove about 300+ miles and my AC began to blow warmer air at the end of the trip. Shut it down and pulled over. 1st thing I noticed no water was leaking from underneath the vehicle lie it use to do. Secondly, the line was frozen solid .

Taking it to the dealership soon for that, the clock issue and splash back when filling it up at the gas station. I hope the warranty covers most of it. If not my axe will do the rest lol.
yup, that'll happen if your drain line was clogged. The moisture on the evap fins needs to drain via the drain line. If the drain line is clogged the water builds up and freezes on the evap. The temperature sensor senses that its cold so it doesn't cycle the compressor. I don't know what system is on the liberty but generally that could be one of the reasons.
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #28
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post

A low AC charge is the #1 reason for evap freezing.
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks Folks taking it on the 11th of this month.
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
beherenow
2009 KK Liberty 

my A/C has not been the same in a long time. i remember when it was new and after i parked there would be a leaking underneath. A/C was ice cold back then

now it feels like the jeep needs to start going for a while and drive away, take air from outside to start to cool inside
beherenow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.