A/C draining on the exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > A/C draining on the exhaust

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
mwegryn
2010 KK Liberty 

A/C draining on the exhaust

I just noticed after shutting down that there was a strange sound coming from underneath. It seems that the A/C system is draining onto the exhaust. Anyone else experience this? I'm assuming there is nothing to worry about, it just seems odd.

mwegryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

yep, its like that on all KKs, dont worry about it
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Mine does that, also condensation drips from the exhaust making a little puddle. Never worried about it
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
WAVE1065
2009 KK Liberty 

Ac water drip

Have 2 2009 liberty kk each with same problem..condensed water from ac doesn't follow the preformed track, instead of dripping clear to the ground as designed, it (the water) has ollowed a new track dripping on hot exhaust pipe...turning heads when pulling into parking spots ...I already have rust on welds and bracket....this is NOT normal...
WAVE1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Nosights
2000 WJ 

There is a rubber elbow that comes off the Htr box on the passenger side of the front of the firewall. It simply pulls off (by hand, but beware of hot exhaust if eng. is warm)...

If it bothers you enough you could put a longer hose on there and route it differently so that it does not drip on the exhause...then again...if you can't handle the sizzle, stay out of the kitchen!
Nosights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
WAVE1065
2009 KK Liberty 

Nosights...thanks for the reply...but..there is no draining elbow exiting the firewall in the engine compartment anywhere near the area where the heater hoses or the freon pipes are located...the water track appears to be molded into the aluminum heat shield directing the water to the drivers side...from which water ossasionally drips clear to the ground. However most times its exiting before this point dripping on the drivers side exhaust pipe. As I said I have two Libertys and the defect is in both.
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Nosights
2000 WJ 

There should be a small 90 degree elbow coming off the lowest part of the htr box...it is only about 3" long and if you stand by your right fender you should find it on the firewall (a flashlight will help), look just above and outboard of your right exhaust manifold. If it is missing you will just see a short (~1" long) piece of plastic tube sticking out (generally this also results in a wet pass floor if the elbow is missing).

It is easiest to find while the Jeep is running with the A/C on so you can see the dripping.

Dan
Nosights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
WAVE1065
2009 KK Liberty 

Leaky Fix

Thanks again Nosights for responding...but...there is no exposed drainingtube on the 2009 model..There is an aluminum heat shield covering the firewall. In it is a premolded track for the water to follow. If there is a tube it probably drains to the area above the transmission. A molded channel,in the heat shield is visible running down the driver side above the left(drivers side exhaust pipe, just past the pipe-manifold union. At time water exits at the opening, at the bottom of the heat shield..now heres the good part... a mounting bracket for what appears to be brakes lines was cut through the shield next to the water channel..the water escapes from this 2 inch opening, running on the outside of the shield dripping on exhaust pipe...someone wasn't thinking at JEEP... A piece of aluminum duct tape applied to the hole keeps the water in...so far...There should be a service advisory issued for this..don't you think?
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
maitiu

I hate to revive such an old thread, but I was wondering if this is still considered normal and should be ignored? I just bought a 2008 Liberty, and mine also drips water from the A/C onto the exhaust, making a sizzling/hissing sound every time you park the vehicle.
maitiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Yes, it's normal and should be ignored. No harm is done. It's just water.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
gkp26
2011 KK Liberty 

It also happens on my '11. Was concerned until realizing it was water
gkp26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.