Burning smell when 4X4 used - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Burning smell when 4X4 used

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

Burning smell when 4X4 used

I noticed in the last couple of snow storms that there is a burning smell in the cabin when using 4X4 with front wheel slip. Almost smells like an oil burning smell but not quite... could be transmission maybe? Any ideas?

mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

First thing that came to mind was maybe you're smelling your tires?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

Nope... not a burning rubber smell and the tires only lose grip on the show and ice I'm playing in.
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Most of the time,a burning smell comes from an oïl leak,that would be my first thing to check.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
Most of the time,a burning smell comes from an oïl leak,that would be my first thing to check.
If this is the case, check the oil filter first. It's up there somewhere.
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid

If this is the case, check the oil filter first. It's up there somewhere.
I was getting that smell too (in general-not only during 4x4). Just happened after this cold spell. I assumed it was the filter as well. That and te fact that I was dinging little puddles of oil in the white snow. Got the oil changed and mech even told me the filters are crap and the seals break down. Especially with the fluctuation of temps we have been having here in NY

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

^^^ That could be part of it, I still have about 1200 miles before an oil change BUT the temps here have been wildly fluctuating 50's down to 2 over the last month and everywhere in between. Strange that it's only when I use 4WD and have fron wheel slip though... something to look at at least.
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I get a burning smell after i drive on winter days. But luckily its just the magnesium chloride they use to de-ice the roads that gets caked on the muffler with all of the other road grime...

There was a point my differentials were getting real hot and i would get a warning from the jeep about 4x4 components overheating. A flush of the fluids took care of that issue tho.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Just went out today and used 4wd in Wal-Mart's parking lot because it was a frozen mess! Got home and had a slight smell near the front grill. I've come to the conclusion it's something I hit in the snow or its because I never use the 4wd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

After driving a little more and using 4WD again in even more snow I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a burning oil snow. It is constant now, like is started slow and just happened to coincide with 4WD use, and is now a larger leak that is noticeable all the time. Hopefully Saturday I can get enough of the Jeep into the garage and crawl under and look at the oil filter. Thanks to all for the help identifying the culprit.
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeal View Post
After driving a little more and using 4WD again in even more snow I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a burning oil snow. It is constant now, like is started slow and just happened to coincide with 4WD use, and is now a larger leak that is noticeable all the time. Hopefully Saturday I can get enough of the Jeep into the garage and crawl under and look at the oil filter. Thanks to all for the help identifying the culprit.
Definitely check the oil filter, mine as well do an oil change if you're close to due for one. Check the front diff, too. Maybe use 4x4 somewhere enough to get the smell and pull over somewhere safe and open the hood to see if it's coming from there.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
oct1196

Could it be your traction control/stability control? I am new to being a Jeep owner, bought a 2012 Liberty Sport, but thought these used the brakes to maintain control. if you are driving in icy conditions these may just be getting hot from abnormally high use? Just a thought.
oct1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1196 View Post
Could it be your traction control/stability control? I am new to being a Jeep owner, bought a 2012 Liberty Sport, but thought these used the brakes to maintain control. if you are driving in icy conditions these may just be getting hot from abnormally high use? Just a thought.
I'm gonna say no... I know the smell of hot brakes and it's not that. You are correct though, when the wheels spin the brakes take over and help you to get traction.
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

OK, so Saturday I did my best to slide under the Lib and look for the oil filter... nope, couldn't find it. I even Googled it to make sure I was looking in the right place and still couldn't find it. I wasn't able to get all the way under (especially to the sides of center) so I'll have to either put it up on jack stands to be able to get underneath (like I really have time for this) or just deal with it until the next oil change and check the oil level frequently. I had a WAY easier time sliding under the front of my Outback than the Lib, just sayin'.
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, it's tight under there, especially if you have skid plates getting to the oil filter. I do like the fact that they did engineer an oil duct to capture the oil and run it away from where the filter attaches so it doesn't bleed oil onto all of the components right underneath the filter. of course, i realized that was there and what it was for AFTER i pulled the filter and frantically tired to move the oil pan to catch the oil! haha

This should help. Skip to section 5 where it actually talks about the filter.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...and_oil_filter
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.