burning oil smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > burning oil smell

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
donniesoup
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

burning oil smell

I have a 2011 with 60k on it. After it warms up after starting it will smell like burnt oil out of the vents. Why is this and how do I stop it. Thank you.

Do what you should now so you can do what you want too later!
donniesoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
mrbeal
2011 JK Wrangler 

First, are you sure it's oil you smell? It is possible you have an oil leak BUT I've been fooled by the smell of axle grease burning -check your CV boots for tears/grease, could very easily be that.
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Also, who did your last oil change (if this has only occurred recently. There have been posts on here and i have experienced it first hand. It is not that easy to reach the oil filter so there have been issues of the filter not being tightened properly causing a leak.

I went to a jiffy lube (needed it done quick). They told me my main seals were leaking. When i brought to dealer, turned out to be the filter. Oil did splatter all over the place so now periodically i get that oil smell when i run the motor.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.