burning oil smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > burning oil smell

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
donniesoup
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

burning oil smell

I have a 2011 with 60k on it. After it warms up after starting it will smell like burnt oil out of the vents. Why is this and how do I stop it. Thank you.

Do what you should now so you can do what you want too later!
donniesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

First, are you sure it's oil you smell? It is possible you have an oil leak BUT I've been fooled by the smell of axle grease burning -check your CV boots for tears/grease, could very easily be that.
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Also, who did your last oil change (if this has only occurred recently. There have been posts on here and i have experienced it first hand. It is not that easy to reach the oil filter so there have been issues of the filter not being tightened properly causing a leak.

I went to a jiffy lube (needed it done quick). They told me my main seals were leaking. When i brought to dealer, turned out to be the filter. Oil did splatter all over the place so now periodically i get that oil smell when i run the motor.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.