Bull bar, roof rack and lights installed - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Bull bar, roof rack and lights installed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
jsburton84
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_KK View Post
Do you have the measurements for what size holes you had to cut for the switches?
I'm afraid I didn't bother to write them down.
I had purchased a three switch mounting plate which I wound up not installing, and used that as a template for the height similar to this:

for the width I just measured from the narrow end on the actual switch (I think it was 15/32 of an inch but I don't remember for sure):

There was some filing involved to get it right, but it's better to cut smaller to begin with since you can't make the opening smaller once you cut!

If I did this again, I would spend the extra 5 bucks to buy a single switch mount to use as a template like this:

Unread 04-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #32
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

What rack size did you get ?

Model #?
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #33
jsburton84
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclezmarinara View Post
What rack size did you get ?

Model #?
It's model 40404, one piece 4'x4'x4" with DS16-4 mounting brackets

the bolt together version is 40405, which I do not recommend since its just more stuff to get loose and rattle.

You could probably get a bigger model if you custom made your own roof rails and mounts, but the two I listed above will fit on the factory roof rails just fine. As noted previously, you may have to modify the mounting holes on the rear to make it fit correctly due to the tapered design of the roof.
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #34
pilot143
2011 KK Liberty 

Maybe I missed it... but are there fuses in there someplace? Otherwise looks like a great setup!
pilot143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
jsburton84
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot143 View Post
Maybe I missed it... but are there fuses in there someplace? Otherwise looks like a great setup!
you can't really see them in the pics but there are fuses in line to the battery for each relay.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #36
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11 View Post
That's what I don't want. I am part of an off road club and one of the requirements is front and rear tow points. I would have to figure out a way to get the tow hook back.
When I came to Alaska back in '82 I was driving a 76 Chevy Silverado P/U (350 4-barrel passed everything but the gas stations luckily it had dual gas tanks). I bought a couple tow hooks from a shop in Jacksonville (AR), and just drilled a couple holes in the frame for the hooks and bolted them on. Never needed them but better safe than sorry. Afterwards I was thinking that I probably should have put one on each corner just in case.
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #37
ashaw1515
2008 KK Liberty 

How hard was it to mount the bull bar. I'm thinking about doing it to mine.
ashaw1515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #38
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Just wondering what the differences are between the 08 and 09 Libertys? Been looking for a black bull bar for ours but not much luck, chrome only. Even the Westin site doesn't list anything for the Liberty.
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #39
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejeri View Post
Just wondering what the differences are between the 08 and 09 Libertys? Been looking for a black bull bar for ours but not much luck, chrome only. Even the Westin site doesn't list anything for the Liberty.
They are out there. Check autoanything.com. Of course, most of these are decorative or for mounting lights only. Although the Westin bar looks pretty solid.

One trick is to look for "Cherokee" or "Nitro" instead of "Liberty". For some reason MANY of the parts stores have Liberty compatible stuff listed under those names.
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
jsburton84
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaw1515 View Post
How hard was it to mount the bull bar. I'm thinking about doing it to mine.
It is only a few bolts and can be done in about an hour or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejeri View Post
auto anything carries them, the link is earlier in this thread.
Unread 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsburton84 View Post
It is only a few bolts and can be done in about an hour or less.

auto anything carries them, the link is earlier in this thread.
JS,

I just purchased Yakima Load Warrior with extension, bought the light brackets, axe and shovel clips. Was wondering if you recommend a set of lights.

I was thinking of going with 2 spot lights and 2 flood lights. Any recommendations?
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #42
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello

JS,

I just purchased Yakima Load Warrior with extension, bought the light brackets, axe and shovel clips. Was wondering if you recommend a set of lights.

I was thinking of going with 2 spot lights and 2 flood lights. Any recommendations?
I'd use piaa there known for their quality and there not to expensive off amazon. Have them on my KK.
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #43
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:

JS,

I have 2 of the KC 130w long ranges on my bumper and really illuminates the road very well. I plan in putting four more up on my basket when I pick one out.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #44
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks Fellas, for the input. I think I will go with Piaa. I had use thier replacement bulbs in my Pathfinder back in 2002 and they worked awesome! In fact, I replaced my Lib's headights with Sylvania Silver Stars Ultras, which are performing better than stock, but the next time around I think I'll use Piaas.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #45
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks Fellas, for the input. I think I will go with Piaa. I had use thier replacement bulbs in my Pathfinder back in 2002 and they worked awesome! In fact, I replaced my Lib's headights with Sylvania Silver Stars Ultras, which are performing better than stock, but the next time around I think I'll use Piaas.
I didn't even know that Piaa made replacement headlight bulbs. You learn something new every day. If you do that please keep us posted on their performance. I also upgraded to the Ultra's. it was really unbelievable how poor the stock bulbs are. I was actually nervous of my visibility driving in upstate NY with nothing but the moon an my stock bulbs. I put the Ultra's in and what a difference. It gave a much brighter illumination, though I'm still not pleased with the performance. The fog lights make a major difference but I'm always getting brighted by oncoming traffic thinking my brights are on.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.