Brakes sticking?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Brakes sticking??

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

Brakes sticking??

Having an odd headache. About 2 weeks ago after driving 180 miles on the way back for a work function my jeep felt weird. When I slowed down coming off interstate it felt like a warped rotor when applyong the brakes. Then it was felt even when not hitting the brakes. Got home and drivers front rim was hot.

Was gonna bring to shop but never acted up again. Thought brakes were sticking and then solved themselves, trash or something.

Today, drove 100 miles pulling my trailer and not a problem the way there. On the way back on interstate no problem. I stop to get extra ice for fish and when I leave I hit my brakes going up a bridge and it does it again. This time so bad it felt like my truck was bogging down and you could feel it severely in the steering wheel. House was right around the corner and naturally wheel was hot.

Cleaned fish and went for a drive and now no problem again.

What would be causing this?

swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

I will be changing my rear brakes today
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
robibler
2010 KK Liberty 

not sure....but mine were kinda sticky and I checked them and the rears were thin...but not the fronts. I bought it used and am still baffled. The brake swap helped but didn't fix the stickiness. Just one of those jeep quirks i guess.
robibler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Brakes shouldnt stick, regardless of make. To the OP, some brake calipers, when they age, and especially when the brake fluid starts to get contaminated due to moisture, and they get warmed up. Typically I see it with phenolic piston calipers. Probably going to need to replace the pads, and caliper(s), and address the rotors as needed. Then, get the brakes flushed, not just bled.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks. Trying to get time to get it in shop. Getting this addressed and lift installed.
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Want to get it done asap, I have seen a few vehicles go up in smoke due to a stuck brake caliper.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

My brake calipers are having the inverse problem. Sticking, but sticking open. Basically, the front brakes do very little work. This is actually a good thing in the short term as the pads and rotors are getting very worn after nearly 4 years of driving. I just had the rear pads and drums replaced before Christmas and they noticed them then.

When I spoke with the Chrysler tech about it he noted that they have had alot of front caliper sticking problems due to corrosion. (I live in Buffalo NY, they salt the roads in the winter here. It's murder on undercarriage parts.) Apparently the calipers don't have enough corrosion protection and are prone to corroding and sticking. I guess they have been just automatically replacing the front calipers on all the 3 yr lease returns since the 2008 models came out. Dunno if the problem is solved in later models.

So I'll be having my calipers, pads and rotors replaced fairly soon. About $500 USD. Ugh.
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
binnhill

I have a 2009 Cherokee. (Liberty) for some odd reason on two occasions when I have revered up a hill. When I go into drive. The brakes on all fonts wheels lock. More recently they are starting to apply on journeys.if I don't stop. There is smoke from the front wheels. On all occasions it clears itself after about 40min uses. Then I can drive again. Any ideas?
binnhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.