Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Big Three Upgrade - Where to run wires?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kiwi_outdoors 
#1 ·
So prepping to do the big three wiring upgrade in my 2011 Jeep Liberty soon. Went outside to look under the hood and figure out how much wiring I'd need, but ran into a problem. The alternator positive to battery is simple and right on top. The other two wires I'm struggling with.

1) The battery negative to chassis factory wiring leads under where the battery is mounted into the depths of hell - where's a good alternative to run/mount this wire?

2) Totally lost where the chassis to engine block wire is ran. Can't see it, no clue where it is.

Any help is appreciated and if any extra info is needed to help, please say so!

#3 ·
Would the alternator bolt bracket also work for the battery negative to chassis?

Hmm thanks, I'll have to take a look around the trans dipstick then.

Right now, I'm just keeping the stock alternator. Between being consistently like 5F with -15F windchills (some days -13F/-35 wind chill) and the stock battery getting older, the Jeep seems to struggle a lot just trying to crank. I planned on replacing the starting battery in the stock location with something a bit beefier and more cold cranking amps. While doing work, might as well throw in some larger gauge cable to make sure it's pulling everything it can from the alt. Between my 4 channel amp and sub amp, they're putting out about 1400W RMS. I know the math doesn't add up to run off the alternator, but considering I don't listen to test tones all day, I think I can get by with a nice deep cycle battery as voltage drop is very minimal off of the stock battery.

#4 ·
So I'm still lost. Trying to follow the ground wires from the chassis bolt on the driver side of the engine compartment is not working. Any more details of where the engine ground bolt is?

EDIT:

I didn't realize it, but I think this is the ground strap, if someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Only problem is, how do I get to the bolt on the engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.