best way to de-salt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > best way to de-salt?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

best way to de-salt?

I moved to Denver in November from Houston so Im new to the snow/salt......

...so to de-salt just spray water underneath or is it better to find an automatic carwash that has the undercarriage wash or?

Thanks.

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Find a self service car wash with power washer like spray wands. One wash cycle for the underside and one wash cycle for the shiny side. In the springtime, drive out in the yard and use the garden hose to wash underneath. Stick the hose into every frame rail hole you can and flush out any dirt/sand/salt.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Find a self service car wash with power washer like spray wands. One wash cycle for the underside and one wash cycle for the shiny side. In the springtime, drive out in the yard and use the garden hose to wash underneath. Stick the hose into every frame rail hole you can and flush out any dirt/sand/salt.
x2

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

I run my KK thru a car wash all most daily. A gas station chain by my house has unlimited washes for $20 per month, by the month payment. I do this thru the winter months here in Minneapolis.

Dave
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

I park mine on the front yard and put the sprinkler on underneath
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
mazza
2011 KK Liberty 

I just worry in the winter about water getting into little nooks under the vehicle and then freezing the next day when temperatures may drop. Dont want water freezing in a tight space ,expanding, and cracking something. I wait for a time when there may be one or two days of "good" weather to water my vehicles.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
I moved to Denver in November from Houston so Im new to the snow/salt......

...so to de-salt just spray water underneath or is it better to find an automatic carwash that has the undercarriage wash or?

Thanks.
Easy solution there. They dont use standard road salt in the state of Colorado(sodium chloride, NaCl). They use magnesium chloride, sparingly at that here, and its no where near as corrosive as NaCl. Normal washing is all you need here to keep them clean, however it does a number on headlight lenses. Your enviroment in Houston was more caustic to vehicle metal, with sea salts that are in the air there and rain, then it is in Denver.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Easy solution there. They dont use standard road salt in the state of Colorado(sodium chloride, NaCl). They use magnesium chloride, sparingly at that here, and its no where near as corrosive as NaCl. Normal washing is all you need here to keep them clean, however it does a number on headlight lenses. Your enviroment in Houston was more caustic to vehicle metal, with sea salts that are in the air there and rain, then it is in Denver.
thanks for this info.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
BloodyShadow23
2008 KK Liberty 

I usually just run it through a normal car wash during the winter cause it's really hard to keep clean with the salt, snow, dirty water, etc. I'm in south Denver if that gives any legitimacy to what I'm saying. Wait till April to really get your KK looking nice and looking awesome :thumbs up:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.