Beach advice/stories? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Beach advice/stories?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
jrenee78
2010 KK Liberty 

Beach advice/stories?

Hey, everyone!

I'm super new to the forum, just got my Liberty a month ago but my husband's had three Wranglers in the eight years I've known him so I'm fairly familiar with the Jeep family. (A little bummed that I can't get a Jeep wave but I'll live.)

We are heading down to the Outer Banks on Saturday for a week, and I just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips or even just fun stories of taking their Liberty on the beach?

jrenee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

You can remove the front air dam for a little more clearance on the sand.
If member Poncherello chimes in, he's been on the beach quite often with his and I'm sure he'd have some advice because I know he's had some issues plus great times on the beach.
You'll probably need to air down the tires.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

Definitely air down and keep momentum...
I don't know if there are any sand hills or dunes at the beach you're going to, but if you come to a hill don't stop unless you can back down. The key is momentum in sand. I used to take my 2wd prerunner Tacoma to Pismo beach that has big dunes. The very first thing I did was get stuck 20 ft into the soft sand. After getting pulled out I aired down to 15 psi, kept on the throttle and couldn't keep a sh*t eating grin off my ugly mug because it was so much fun.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

As said the biggest thing is to air down. I run about 15-18psi on the sand. Also, keep moving. If you do stop and you start to spin the wheels and dig in then let off the gas. Generally if I start to dig I try to reverse out. If that doesn't work, I go to 4Low and drive out. If that doesn't work try reverse again...and if that doesn't work look for a friendly person to give you a tug lol
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

carry some things with you. bottle jack, small shovel, a piece of wood that you can either use for the jack or get out of a hole, a chain or tow strap.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
DrD28

Air down is a must in soft sand 10-15 psi. Shovel a good piece of wood tow ropes and a fire extinguisher
DrD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
jrenee78
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the responses! I know to definitely air down. We have a shovel, wood, ropes, etc in case she gets stuck. We've driven this beach before, in the Wrangler, and it's really nice, flat beach. The only real obstacle is the ruts where everyone else has driven but it's manageable. I think I just needed some reassurance that the Liberty can manage sand. This is the first time I'll really get to see what she can handle!
jrenee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenee78 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I know to definitely air down. We have a shovel, wood, ropes, etc in case she gets stuck. We've driven this beach before, in the Wrangler, and it's really nice, flat beach. The only real obstacle is the ruts where everyone else has driven but it's manageable. I think I just needed some reassurance that the Liberty can manage sand. This is the first time I'll really get to see what she can handle!
Straddle the ruts. Depending on how deep they get you'll drag a bit. Before I was lifted I used to drag the belly on some deep ruts, and my air dam(as said, it's removable, quite easily too) would take a beating. I'd come home with sand stuck between the air dam and bumper.
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
knightenforcer
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
As said the biggest thing is to air down. I run about 15-18psi on the sand. Also, keep moving. If you do stop and you start to spin the wheels and dig in then let off the gas. Generally if I start to dig I try to reverse out. If that doesn't work, I go to 4Low and drive out. If that doesn't work try reverse again...and if that doesn't work look for a friendly person to give you a tug lol
+1 on This, I ran 16-15 psi on sand and have been using the staun II tire deflators to make quick air downs. Also, a good air compressor is a must
Not sure what 4x4 you have, I have the command trac and I just put it on 4 High and ESP off.
Reversing is a good option if you get stuck, as the sand behind you is already compacted.
Here's a thread I started on the other forum, with a few pics of KK's at the beach. (IMHO, it is more than capable on sand)
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...hp?f=6&t=78992
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

All good advice, written above there is a saying the day you don't air down is the day you won't forget lol.

List:
Air compressor
Tire gauge
Recovery straps
Recovery hooks on your vehicle front and back
Shovel
Solid prices of wood
Fire extinguisher
Map of the beach
Honey bucket
Bottled water/toilet paper

I always kept the Lib in 4hi and air downed to half way especially when sand was real dry & soft. Problem with Lib with stock suspension as Bmxer said sometimes the belly drags on the sand. When your done just rinse the under carriage.
Have fun
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

As mentioned, air down to 12-14. Use 4Low unless you are going faster then 20-25mph.
After your trip plan some time to crawl around with a hose spraying everything underneath. Hit every hole in the frame and gas tank skid with water and pounds of will wash out.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

And I have fun a few times a week driving out on the North End of Carolina Beach (Freeman Park).
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
ArcticDude88
2012 KK Liberty 

What is the deal for 4lo and sand? I have gotten mixed answers from google and other forums if 4lo is useful for sand or not
ArcticDude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Soft sand and low speed, use 4 low. Hard sand and high (> ~20mph) use 4hi.
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

4lo disables ESP (somewhat). ESP is not beneficial in soft sand.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.