Battery Drain 2011 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Battery Drain 2011 Liberty

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
contsole
2011 KK Liberty 

Battery Drain 2011 Liberty

I've found my battery dead a couple times. Alternator seems ok putting out around 14.5 volts The dealer just replaced my battery even though I didn't think that was the issue. The drain seems relatively random. It was ok for 5 days at the airport but the last two days I've found it almost completely drained in the morning. I inserted an amp meter in the battery circuit and can see things turning off over a period of about a minute. With the interior lights it's around 5.5 amps. When they turn off it's 1.5 amps. When the audio amplifier shuts down the load drops to .5 amps. The current continues to fall until it reaches about 40 mA (0.040 amps) after a minute. I suppose that won't discharge the battery overnight but I sense something is "sticking" on occasionally. I don't know what the dealer could do different. I bet I'll have a couple no-problem-found wasted days if I drop it off for service. Any thoughts?

contsole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any aftermarket electronics? Audio"system"? Alarm? Remote start?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
contsole
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Any aftermarket electronics? Audio"system"? Alarm? Remote start?
Nothing.
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
ZLIBERTY2011
2011 KK Liberty 

I am having the exact same problem with my 2011 Liberty. I have had it in the shop six times in the last nine months, and so far the alternator and the battery have been replaced, and the problem continues. I just got it out of the shop yesterday, and this time they had a Chrysler Field Engineer there to look at it. The result...they disconnected the dealer installed aftermarket backup camera, and I am to drive it for a while and see if the problem has gone away....yeah right.

Here is the real kicker, I puchased this vehicle new in April of 2012, and it is not even a year old, and only has 5300 miles on it. I design electronics, and have told the dealership several times, that there is some sort of parasitic drain that periodically occurs when one or more of their systems does not shut down. They just keep checking the charging system, and the battery. I even connected a battery charger on one of the mornings that it was dead. The battery voltage read around 7V before connecting the charger, and I set the charger for 10 or 20 amps charge rate (can't remember which one), and let it sit for about 4 hours. Guess what, the battery voltage then measured UNDER 7V after charging for 4 hours, so the drain was still there. I have noticed that if the voltage drops in the 6v or lower range, the drain stops (sounds like a low voltage reset).

My Liberty has the following options:
Selec Trac 4x4, Navigation, Auto Climate Control, Remote Start, Backup Sensors, Tow Package, Sky Slider, and Backup Camera (aftermarket dealer installed at time of sale)

Don't know if any of those options are causing the problem, but thought I would list them.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by ZLIBERTY2011; 01-17-2013 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
ZLIBERTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Is everything working allright? There is definitely a gremlin (s) in there. I wonder if it is not just one thing but multiple just because that is a lot of drain on the battery. Good luck, I wosh I coild help you out more, but if you could keep us posted that would great.

Good luck.
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
ZLIBERTY2011
2011 KK Liberty 

Everything works without issue on my Jeep. The problem is that about every six weeks or so, the battery drains down to under 10v overnight, so that it will not start without a jumpstart in the morning. Notice that it is getting drained over a period of about 12-14 hours. I drive my 2011 Liberty every day, and my round trip to work is about 12-13 miles. I have to be careful what I do to find the problem, or I could invalidate the warranty. It has been towed to the dealership twice because they did not want me to jumpstart it, so that they could see how dead the battery is.
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
JeepCares

Which radio do you have?
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
ZLIBERTY2011
2011 KK Liberty 

My window sticker shows my radio to be the "Media Center 430N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV"

I don't know if this helps, but the backup camera that is now currently disconnected, was (according to the Chrysler Field Engineer) spliced into the Navigation screen with some sort of video switch box. This is the backup camera that the dealer installed before I took possession of the vehicle.

I keep the Jeep in my garage at night, and no one else drives it.
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
contsole
2011 KK Liberty 

I got a Fluke clamp-on DC ammeter so I can now easily read the current in and out of the battery without disturbing anything. I have isolated the problem to fuse M13 which is one of the 3 Ignition Off Draw circuits. According to the manual it feeds: Cabin Compartment Node, Wireless Control Module, Clock and Multifunction Control Switch. I read .8 amp continuous draw after everything else shuts down. At least I narrowed it down. Also, I observed in total darkness you could just see a very very faint red glow from the two blue digital displays. That passes the smell test by being on the M13 circuit. I've made an appointment with the dealer and will let you know what they find. I bet I'll have to take my Fluke meter with me.
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
ZLIBERTY2011
2011 KK Liberty 

Ok, got it figured out. The aftermarket backup camera switchbox that was inserted in-between my NAV system and the display was causing the problem. It would sometimes keep the entire audio/NAV system from shutting off, and would drain the battery. The dealer has since replaced it with a new rear view mirror with integrated LCD for the backup camera, and the switchbox that was inserted between the NAV system and screen has been removed.
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
RKK
2012 KK Liberty 

Good job on doing your part

Thanks you for posting what the issue was. This is some thing I would watch for.
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
phantom battery drain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.