Is it bad to use cruise control when going downhill? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Is it bad to use cruise control when going downhill?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
JeepLiberty2011
2011 KK Liberty 

Is it bad to use cruise control when going downhill?

I never gave much attention to it till now but noticed recently that my RPM's are way higher if I have cruise control engaged while going downhill...

ie: If I am going down a slight slope and have CC on, my RPM's seem to sit around 3k, if I turn it off it goes down to 2k, if I put it in neutral with the CC off it goes down to 1k.

Is this completely normal? The RPM's staying that high even when going downhill? Surprised the vehicle doesn't notice the lower RPM need and adjust?

Sidenote: I think I noticed an odd sound/feel when using CC the other day while going downhill but haven't been able to replicate it.

Sidenote: Had a shop I take my jeep to when I want independent (non-dealership) opinions tell me a month ago that it had a "rough idle" that I think I can notice/hear. Had the dealership check this out, they said they couldn't find it/or any problems.

JeepLiberty2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLiberty2011 View Post
I never gave much attention to it till now but noticed recently that my RPM's are way higher if I have cruise control engaged while going downhill...

ie: If I am going down a slight slope and have CC on, my RPM's seem to sit around 3k, if I turn it off it goes down to 2k, if I put it in neutral with the CC off it goes down to 1k.

Is this completely normal? The RPM's staying that high even when going downhill? Surprised the vehicle doesn't notice the lower RPM need and adjust?

Sidenote: I think I noticed an odd sound/feel when using CC the other day while going downhill but haven't been able to replicate it.

Sidenote: Had a shop I take my jeep to when I want independent (non-dealership) opinions tell me a month ago that it had a "rough idle" that I think I can notice/hear. Had the dealership check this out, they said they couldn't find it/or any problems.
I won't be able to answer this fully, but will be able to suggest a few things.

I think your cruise control symptoms are normal. Cruise control will always try to keep your at a steady speed, and to do so will increase the RPMS. Are you using cruise control to save gas? It's been proven that you can save more gas by not using it...

Now to tackle your idle issue. We need more information. How many miles on the Jeep? How many miles on the spark plugs? Are they gapped correctly? What kind of gas are you using?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

That "high" rpm is just the cruise control keeping the speed from increasing while going downhill. It's fine, every vehicle I've ever had did the same thing. Don't know about the rough idle though.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Downshift/disable overdrive to keep speed from increasing downhill
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Just let the cruise control do it. There's no need to do anything.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Even though the rpms are high in that downhill situation, my Scangauge usually shows 9999 miles per gallon: in other words, there is no gas going to the cylinders so for a time you are getting infinite MPGs! I wouldn't worry about it.
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Even though the rpms are high in that downhill situation, my Scangauge usually shows 9999 miles per gallon: in other words, there is no gas going to the cylinders so for a time you are getting infinite MPGs! I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't only the newer KKs have the fuel shut off on deceleration? I know the 2008s don't. That's another reason I think the Hypertech won't work with the newer KK's.

On deceleration down a hill with my EcoGauge, the highest reading I have ever gotten is 114mpg . Without a hill the highest I see daily is no more than 90mpg.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

I coast downhill every day for 5 miles . I shift to n at 70 mph ,i usually reach 85/87 mph with rpm at 1000 . If I had been on the gas im sure it would be around 3k rpm . So I figure im saving gas for a few miles.
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Don't only the newer KKs have the fuel shut off on deceleration? I know the 2008s don't. That's another reason I think the Hypertech won't work with the newer KK's.

On deceleration down a hill with my EcoGauge, the highest reading I have ever gotten is 114mpg . Without a hill the highest I see daily is no more than 90mpg.
All multiport OBDII fuel injected engines have decel fuel shutoff.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
All multiport OBDII fuel injected engines have decel fuel shutoff.
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/liberty-2008.html

It's says 2010 they started it, but not sure if they mean they just started adding the green ECO dash light, or the actual fuel shutoff. I can never find a solid answer to this.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/liberty-2008.html

It's says 2010 they started it, but not sure if they mean they just started adding the green ECO dash light, or the actual fuel shutoff. I can never find a solid answer to this.
Mine has it and it's a '02,just not as effective as the eco mode version on newer KK's.They just advertize it as a "new" feature when it's not to bump sales.The "ECO mode" version just uses it more even when not decelerating.
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Mine has it and it's a '02,just not as effective as the eco mode version on newer KK's.They just advertize it as a "new" feature when it's not to bump sales.The "ECO mode" version just uses it more even when not decelerating.
Can you show me a reliable source so I can believe you?
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Can you show me a reliable source so I can believe you?
The FSM
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
The FSM
Okay, can anyone else verify a 2008 Liberty has "Decel Fuel Shut Off"?
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid

Okay, can anyone else verify a 2008 Liberty has "Decel Fuel Shut Off"?
Push the odometer button and it will cycle through total miles, two different trip odometers and the ECO. While driving, the readout will change depending on what it's doing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.