Audio system upgrade soon!! :) need some input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Audio system upgrade soon!! :) need some input

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
JJamesV203
2008 KK Liberty 

Audio system upgrade soon!! :) need some input

hey guys, i would say SUMMER is around the corner but who knows with this weather lol

anyway its time to upgrade, the stock system just isnt cuttin it anymore for me.

so heres what im doing and looking to get, kinda on a budget so it's not the greatest equipment but after looking and researching online for probably a month now ive finally pieced together a decent system, here's the products:

Head Unit -
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-P2300DVD.html

First Question - on Crutchfield.com they state "Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver. The integration adapter provides the accessory power you will need for your new receiver.
PAC C2R-CHY4 $129.99
" and that is the only site that says i need that, is this true? did any of you guys encounter this problem?????

Second question - ive given up on looking around for the correct speaker size of my KK. Every website says different, i went into PC Richards and they say they are all 6x9s...lol i dont think so. but here's a set i found

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-Plus-652.html

Sub -
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BRZ12SQD4.html

last question... how much of a pain in the *** is removing the door panels?

please post anything u guys feel will help me do this correctly. i want to do it all in one shot, and not screw anything up. Thanks!!

JJamesV203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would stay away from square subs. They tend to be very loud but do not sound the greatest. I am a bit of a sound quality freak so I went with Hertz audio speakers and sub. My one 10'' can go lower and louder than my buddies 2 pioneer pos 12'' subs. I spent allot of time shopping around at specialty audio shops and all the square subs sounded like junk when compared to a round sub of equal price. I have a alpine cda-103 and it has great sound quality for the price.
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

If crutchfield says you need it after plugging in your make model year and current set up, then you probably need it. They are very good at helping you get what you need. I have ordered from them several times and where the price may be higher, the great customer service and tech support on top of free install gear can not be topped. Plus there RMA procedures and timeliness is awesome. I blew a set of tweeters 3 weeks after i got them (they were faulty) they sent me the new ones as fast as shipping as they could and return lables for the old ones. no cost to me.

Also being a bit of an audiophile and a mechanic my self (audio freak sounds just plain horrible) i can tell you many of the new vehicles today need an integration kit for the stereos to work. The aftermarket head unit is designed to work with every vehicle out there not just yours. There for integration kits are made to connect that head unit to the specific vehicle.

As for your 08 jeep, you probably are using the C.A.N bus system, which integrates with the factory stereo for your steering wheel controls and theft deterrent. There will be a integration kit needed for you to connect any aftermarket stereo no matter the type brand or features.

Square subs are in no way different then the round ones in all reality. Both reproduce sound waves. Now the specs that they reproduce them at are definitely important. Round or square, signal to noise, THD, RMS, single or dual voice coil, and Ohm's rating are more the determining factor of how your system will sound. Also a properly built box for that specific sub (prefab boxes suck, there designed to universally work, not just for that specific sub). Coupled with a decently powered head unit (the pre-amp circuit) proper cables and installation and a proper amp, any thing can be made to sound decent to a point. But as with anything you get what you pay for. The louder or cleaner you want, they more you need to spend. Consider this, a single 10" sub, with box, amp, install kit, installed should cost you about $500 to $750. If you can do it for less then $500, well, you bought some cheap crap unless you got lucky and it was all on sale.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

Go with a nice Kenwood unit I think they are much easier to use and if you can find an all in one unit they are much easier to install then having to find a place to put the brain of a the nav unit. The door speakers are 6x9 but I would keep them till they blow up. I Kept mine and installed my Diamond audio D3 with diamond audio box sounds amazing and great quality. My buddy that manages Tas electronics gets a little jealous from time to time on how good it really sounds!.
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
JJamesV203
2008 KK Liberty 

ok so i made some adjustments and im liking this setup WAYYY better, tell me wat u guys think heres the lineup

Head Unit -
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-P2300DVD.html
(accessory harness required) -
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-C2R-CHY4-Replacement-Interface-Chrysler/dp/B001U3ULQOSpeakers -
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ate-P1692.html
Subwoofer -
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...S-W3002D4.html

nlynd1978 i kno you were talkin about a correct size box for a specific subwoofers, which put me at a halt with ordering the correct size box, and we all know how much space we have in the cargo area (not much) and im in the trades so im haulin a bag of tools and a 4ft ladder in the back as well so im really not trying to go for that big of a box for this sub soooo help? lol
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
JJamesV203
2008 KK Liberty 

forgot the amp, this is my old amp that im using

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLA2280

Last edited by JJamesV203; 04-05-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

That amp is worthless for 3 reasons. 1. Its a Pyle. 2. Its a Pyle (yes its so bad its gets to be two reasons). 3. Not C.E.A. 2006 compliant and no actual ratings posted. 1000 what? Watts, Rubber Bands, ninjas? Is that Peak? RMS?

That head unit is junk. Its a box that plays cds and radio. All other functions such as bluetooth, nav, hd radio, ect require addons. Not worth 410 for a dvd player either, can get a Jensen with better options and bigger screen for same amount. Yes i see its on sale for 300, still not worth it. I paid $120 (on sale) for a Dual, with BT, HD radio, A2DP BT streaming, Ipod control ect. Dual xhd7714, at best buy. I like it. Read a lot of good reviews on it. HD radio is awesome, but you have to be able to get good signal. So its kinda spotty, but could be multitude of reasons on top of i live in the way far out suburbs. total with 4 year warranty and installation components needed was about $200 even.

MY GOD, those subs suck. First off if you have a sub capable of pulling 3500 watts peak, you need an amp capable of pushing over 4000 watts peak. Other wise buy several amps so you don't have to wait when you blow one to change it out. Secondly, since there not C.E.A. 2006 compliant, don't believe a single word of the 1000 watt rms ratting. How was it rated? Was it sunny with a slight breeze, 72 degrees F in a 92 Honda Civic Hatchback with a ported box, down wind of a cattle farm on stall mucking day? Or was it a Saturday evening, 45 degrees out in a convertible, during a tornado, with the top down? No im not trying to be funny. There is a reason for this standard. Heres a link i suggest reading up on it. Brochure For C.E.A. Standard

If you don't have say $1500 to through away at good (not great just good) equipment, ie head unit, speakers, sub amp ect, don't bother upgrading. A sub, amp, box, and wiring kit should be about 500 (low) to 750 (decent). Mind you for that your getting a single 10" maybe 12" single possible dual voice coil sub, rated for 500 watts or less, a single box, on amp enough to run the one sub, and the wires to connect it to a after market stereo and power and ground. Nothing else.

What i suggest you do before even looking at equipment is decide on a couple things first.

1. How much will you spend. Anything less then 1500 and you should not even be considering anything with a dvd player in it. Unless you dont mind cheap ones that skip and jump and work horribly. You get what you pay for in this industry. The bigger the price the more features and better quality it usually is.

2. How do you want it to sound. You worried about buying a sub, and a box, and a head unit, but have considered what you want the sound to be like. Do you want Quality? Loud? Both? What kind of music do you listen too? Certain sub sizes and setup are better for different types of music..

3. Cargo room? Is it an issue? if so smaller gear may be a better option. Maintaining certain factory components. Factory fit? will that speaker be to deep and now doesn't fit in that spot.

4. What was the the factory system. Do you have an infinity system? Do you intend to keep the original speakers if you dont? Upgrades for the system?

Thats just 4 of many factors you need to decide on before you even consider which gear to buy let alone how much each part is worth. The shop i worked at often made about 2500 or more for a standard head unit, 4 speakers (one component set) amp, sub, sub amp, custom box and wiring. This was good equipment. Nothing special, played cds, maybe burned ones, was tuned and sounded decent. sub picked the low end up and overall it sounded great. My own person vehicle at that time, had over 10k in equipment in it. I competed in both spl and sql. Big difference in hitting 145 decibels and sounding great or doing both. Big difference in cost too.

Also please dont read this and get scared of upgrading your system. Im not trying to scare you, just trying to educate you on some finer points. Good equipment is not sold at a off name website with no tech support. Try crutchfield. Yeah you will pay more. But the free tech suport, often free install goodies, and awesome customer service will make your day that much better. Plus they do have deals here and there. I bought a complete Infinity Reference speaker upgrade from my 99 WJ with infinity system. Some of the speakers were blown. Bought all three sets (tweets, 6x9, 6 1/2) for less then 300 shipped with install gear, tech support and next day shipping.

Just some food for thought.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
onegoodpunk
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm thinking of trying this Infinity Basslink to conserve space. Has anyone tried it? I've actually heard good things about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A6GK4E/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/177-9211856-8930502
onegoodpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.