ATTN: KK's with a skyslider problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > ATTN: KK's with a skyslider problem

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Reply
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Tjschatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ft lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 27
ATTN: KK's with a skyslider problem

I am now starting to see another wave of loyal jeep KK owners having winter issues with their sky sliders and wanted to let you know that there are hundreds of jeep owners with the same problems and no resolutions. I will number/bullet point everything I have done with no resolution and then will ask for input.

1. I have contacted Chrysler headquarters, even the president of customer service, for them to tell me out of warranty there is nothing that can be done except to replace it. And then it will most likely break again. And can cost in excess of 5k to replace and then is not warrantied and most dealerships don't want to touch then in the first place.

2. I have contacted attorneys that have told me there is no case unless you want to pay up front for them to battle chryslers corporate lawyers for years and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars maybe to loose anyway.

3. I have contacted custom car roof repair experts that can only get a body shop to seal the roof and weld a piece of metal to it .

4. I have contacted media who said Chrysler has other issues that are way bigger then The couple thousand of customers with roof issues.

5. For some reason a class action suit was never filed because I think they were protected under bankruptcy laws from 2008.

6. I have read numerous articles and complaints from past jeep owners who all had the same problems and just ended up selling or trading in their jeeps with skysliders for future unsuspecting customers to deal with, like myself!

Is there anyone who can think of any other resolutions to fix this issue that I have missed? I really don't want to get rid of my jeep just to have another person deal with it that is unaware of this expensive whole in the roof!

Thanks for listening and I hope we can all fix this issue some day inexpensivley. Other than the noisy and leaky roof I actually like the jeep.

Tj

Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
RENE65
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LAVAL, QUEBEC
Posts: 215
When a vehicule is out of production,they will not spend $$ to fix a design problem .They will fix with the parts they have in stock and not spend a dime to modify those parts.The only exception I can think of would be a safety recall that they have no choice.Your best bet is to sell it to someone who lives in a desert or something like that
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
cherox
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
When a vehicule is out of production,they will not spend $$ to fix a design problem .They will fix with the parts they have in stock and not spend a dime to modify those parts.The only exception I can think of would be a safety recall that they have no choice.Your best bet is to sell it to someone who lives in a desert or something like that
If there is enough pressure they will work on problems on discontinued vehicles. Remember the gas tank/trailer hitch voluntary recall from a few months ago on the early Grand Cherokees? Granted that was a much larger number of affected vehicles.

Supposedly the new Cherokee has the sky slider as a late availability option. If they haven't given up on the concept then they can fix the ones that are out there.

You guys read my thread.. I'm still covered by warranty and they're giving me a hard time. Only owned my Jeep for 4 months.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
RENE65
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LAVAL, QUEBEC
Posts: 215
Safety related things will get fixed otherwise they will be FORCED to do a recall. Sky slider is not quite a safety related item.
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
huntb
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 592
Winter issues? Who uses their skyslider in the winter anyways? I've never had mine open when the temp is below 50 or 60 anyways.
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Tjschatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ft lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb
Winter issues? Who uses their skyslider in the winter anyways? I've never had mine open when the temp is below 50 or 60 anyways.
The snow sitting on them and melting leaks into the tracks. The wind also blows the roof open when strong.
Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
cherox
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjschatt View Post
The snow sitting on them and melting leaks into the tracks. The wind also blows the roof open when strong.
Even when it was 2 degrees out, I would go outside and clear the snow off the skyslider to prevent structural damage from all the extra weight. I've yet to have issues with leaking.

Unfortunately, sometimes all the preventative measures in the world cannot overcome a design flaw and/or an improper repair job.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
lakehimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65
Safety related things will get fixed otherwise they will be FORCED to do a recall. Sky slider is not quite a safety related item.
It is when it's leaking water on electronics, as in the case of mine
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
RENE65
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LAVAL, QUEBEC
Posts: 215
Could also say that its a DROWNING hazard
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Bmxer524
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lindenhurst, NY
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Winter issues? Who uses their skyslider in the winter anyways? I've never had mine open when the temp is below 50 or 60 anyways.
You're doing it wrong lol. Depends on the weather, I've had days around 40 and it was open. Some in the 30s. The heat is great in these trucks....
__________________
2011 Deep Cherry Red KK - Skyslider - OME 927/731 - Bilstein Shocks - 1/4" Spacer Plate - 3/8" Clevis - Al's A-arms - 245/75-16 Duratracs
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
ArcticDude88
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
You're doing it wrong lol. Depends on the weather, I've had days around 40 and it was open. Some in the 30s. The heat is great in these trucks....
Haha x2
ArcticDude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Megs_Revenge
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 211
I feel bad for you guys. In theory, this sounded like a great option, but now, nothing but trouble. Unfortunately I don't think you're ever going to get any help from Chrysler. Hell, us with GCs had a safety recall and now have to deal with no 4Lo because of it. Despite the supposed parts to fix it being on what my dealer called "intergalactic backorder" Chrysler refuses to acknowledge that their recall has screwed us. There's not much love from the mothership when our Jeeps start going downhill...
__________________
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]2005 Silver WK 5.7L Hemi
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
cherox
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge View Post
I feel bad for you guys. In theory, this sounded like a great option, but now, nothing but trouble. Unfortunately I don't think you're ever going to get any help from Chrysler. Hell, us with GCs had a safety recall and now have to deal with no 4Lo because of it. Despite the supposed parts to fix it being on what my dealer called "intergalactic backorder" Chrysler refuses to acknowledge that their recall has screwed us. There's not much love from the mothership when our Jeeps start going downhill...
I had done several months of searching for the perfect KK. After reading countless positive reviews of the skyslider, I decided the fun value was worth the risk. Now, after having it break just a few months after I bought it (only ever using it a handful of times,) I am beginning to wonder about the longevity factor. I had planned on keeping this Jeep for a very long time, but am unsure of how this will pan out.

HOPEFULLY Chrysler comes out with stronger components (maybe aluminum instead of plastic for critical parts) for the inevitable failure that many of us skyslider equipped folks have and will endure (again.)
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson, New Jersey
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox
I had done several months of searching for the perfect KK. After reading countless positive reviews of the skyslider, I decided the fun value was worth the risk. Now, after having it break just a few months after I bought it (only ever using it a handful of times,) I am beginning to wonder about the longevity factor. I had planned on keeping this Jeep for a very long time, but am unsure of how this will pan out. HOPEFULLY Chrysler comes out with stronger components (maybe aluminum instead of plastic for critical parts) for the inevitable failure that many of us skyslider equipped folks have and will endure (again.)
It is disappointing that Chrysler won't even attempt to try and fix this issue. It will definitely turn off many customers from future Chrysler purchases.

Thinking out of the box, I would say lose the power top and perhaps have a fiberglass like hard top wrangler and make 2 sections with some really good seals that you can manually pop out at your convenience. Just remove the metal retractable tracks if you can and seal the heck out if it and redo the runners. My lib doesn't have a retractible top so just guessing on what could be done.

I was looking at the option when I was purchasing my Lib, but decided against it.
__________________
When you get knee-deep in a situation, floor it.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.