Any KK Owner w/ K&N CAI? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Any KK Owner w/ K&N CAI?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #46
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Why spend the money on something that gains you nothing but a little sound?
tried all of the "crap" that says it will give you more power etc
The stock box does what its suppose to and works , period
I'll save my money for things that actually make a vehicle better

Unread 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #47
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

The K&N CAI with the Hypertech program gave me at least 2mpg more and more power. Probably more the Hypertech but I like to think the K&N helps her breath a little better and helps with throttle response. But what do I know, I'm an electrical engineer not an automotive engineer
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #48
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

But you can read right
Read up on how much dirt and crap the K&Ns let into your intake for one
Bad choice, stock paper filter does a better job and just the same overall mileage
Spend your money on true upgrades, not something that harms the engine in the long run.
Unread 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #49
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
The K&N CAI with the Hypertech program gave me at least 2mpg more and more power. Probably more the Hypertech but I like to think the K&N helps her breath a little better and helps with throttle response. But what do I know, I'm an electrical engineer not an automotive engineer
Your PCM can correct for up to a 80% clogged air filter with zero loss of mpg's so it's impossible for a "freeier flowing" air filter without internal engine mods and programming to take advantage of those engine mods to actually warrant more air flow then what the OE box provides.Besides the OE box is a true cold air intake while the k&n setup is a hot air intake system.

Your throttle response thoery is false also since the PCM also controls that,you have no throttle cable.All you achieved is more noise and dirtier engine oil.
Unread 08-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #50
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

See that's why I come to this site. You guys are all way smarter than me. I guess all those horse power and torque graphs K&N puts on their site is just all false advertising. Maybe I'll start a multi million dollar company selling dirt and tell everyone it will make you jump higher
Unread 08-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #51
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I think if you wanted to do an airfilter modification, maybe a snorkel filter would be good, if you plan on doing some serious wheel'n. On the other hand, back in the day my buddy had a 74' GTO with a shaker hood scoop. It made the car look awesome and also helped it performed better when it opened up. The car had a 350 with a 4 barrel carb. Unfortunately he didn't own it long enough and ended up totaling it
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #52
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
See that's why I come to this site. You guys are all way smarter than me. I guess all those horse power and torque graphs K&N puts on their site is just all false advertising. Maybe I'll start a multi million dollar company selling dirt and tell everyone it will make you jump higher
You may see a very small increase at 1st but after a few driving cycles the PCM will "relearn" and set everything back to what it has been programmed to so anything you may have gained will be lost in a few days.Even adding a true cold air intake,or I should say better one then the OE setup,also will never gain you anything as again the PCM will learn around it.Via the MAP sensor and AIT sensor the PCM will adjust accordinly to it's pre-set fuel maps.That is where they get there dyno graphs from,they just slap the kit on a dyno it but if they did a before and after with about 2 weeks in between you would see no increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
I think if you wanted to do an airfilter modification, maybe a snorkel filter would be good, if you plan on doing some serious wheel'n. On the other hand, back in the day my buddy had a 74' GTO with a shaker hood scoop. It made the car look awesome and also helped it performed better when it opened up. The car had a 350 with a 4 barrel carb. Unfortunately he didn't own it long enough and ended up totaling it
Dealing with carbed engines is a whole nother story where spacers and such actually do work but do nothing on a multi-port FI engine.
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #53
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You may see a very small increase at 1st but after a few driving cycles the PCM will "relearn" and set everything back to what it has been programmed to so anything you may have gained will be lost in a few days.Even adding a true cold air intake,or I should say better one then the OE setup,also will never gain you anything as again the PCM will learn around it.Via the MAP sensor and AIT sensor the PCM will adjust accordinly to it's pre-set fuel maps.That is where they get there dyno graphs from,they just slap the kit on a dyno it but if they did a before and after with about 2 weeks in between you would see no increase.

Dealing with carbed engines is a whole nother story where spacers and such actually do work but do nothing on a multi-port FI engine.
This isn't true with the Hypertech programmer. It completely remaps your PCM
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
This isn't true with the Hypertech programmer. It completely remaps your PCM
They don't come close to re-mapping the whole PCM,just some high rpm data is all.Anyways still pretty useless without internal engine modifications to actually see any real benifit from changing the programming.Without internal mods no amount of programming will see any meaningful gains since your still working with the same internal dynamics the stock programming is.
Unread 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #55
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

My K&N should be in on the 5th
I will install and update
SilenceOfDaPwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Funny some of us have been playing/ working on these Libertys for 8-10 years but when someone asks for advice it means nothing
believe the hype K&N puts out if you will , its your dollars lost
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #57
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

I accidentally thought this was jk
Lol

I'm a jk owner

*fail
SilenceOfDaPwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #58
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

snorkel for a KK?

Anyone got a line on a KK snorkel kit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.