Any KK Owner w/ K&N CAI? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Any KK Owner w/ K&N CAI?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
coder
2010 KK Liberty 

Any KK Owner w/ K&N CAI?

Do any of you KK owners have this K&N CAI, I am wandering if it's worth the investment?

[CAI Kit]
63-1559 - K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kits, Performance Intake Kit

[Instation Instructions]
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/63-1559_inst.pdf

Last edited by coder; 01-08-2010 at 06:13 PM..
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the posters across the myriad of diff forums on JF, will recommend to not run one of the oiled up air filter intakes. They just don't perform & mostly a waste of money that can be placed on better more functional mods.

I feel the same way on those type items. Save your dough.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
Most of the posters across the myriad of diff forums on JF, will recommend to not run one of the oiled up air filter intakes. They just don't perform & mostly a waste of money that can be placed on better more functional mods.

I feel the same way on those type items. Save your dough.
X2..............

Unless you plan on racing your KK and doing heavy engine mods skip a K&N.
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
JJsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

x3, Waste of money.
99 TJ, Green - Son 2
HotRodOil.com
LOST JEEPS Club So-Cal Forum
JJsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
daledoe
2009 KK Liberty 

I guess im the voice of opposition here. I have that exact kit and I would recommend it depending on your preferences. Its only about $280 if you shop around but I have a "source" and got mine a little cheaper at cost. It will give you slightly more HP(K&N rates it around 10-11 max) but also a slight improvement on gas mileage. Now I cant give you specific before and after mileage because I put this kit on almost immediately after I got the car. But I am getting 1-2 mpg's better than the car is rated for and its only going up as I break in my engine. Ive used their kits before on every vehicle Ive owned and every time I get more HP and better gas mileage. You will also get a more pronounced "growl" from your engine that can vary in volume depending on RPM's and such. Its not so loud to ruin the already quiet interior but you will notice it more but that is always the case with aftermarket intakes. Hope that helps.

Oh, and the new K&N filters arent "oiled up" at all, atleast not to the point that you can notice.

In summary: Worth the money in the long run.
daledoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
beherenow
2009 KK Liberty 

how +HP can relate to -gas milage? (insert forrest gump face here)
beherenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
daledoe
2009 KK Liberty 

I didnt say better HP and gas mileage were related. They might but most likely the improved mileage is due to the increased air flow to allow a more consistent fuel/air mixture. Im the farthest thing from an engineer so thats just my educated guess. If you dont want an intake dont get an intake. But they do in fact help. If you dont care then dont buy one. Easy as that.
daledoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
beherenow
2009 KK Liberty 

i'm in fact an engineer and won't waste money on this as i'm also poor
beherenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

K&N Filters and Intakes are great. They increase engine efficiency (mpg) because they flow more air than the stock filter (reduces the work required from the engine) which also increases horsepower. A higher flowing exhaust will have a similar effect.

As for K&N oiled filters causing any kind of problems check out these links:

K&N Consumer Protection Pledge
K&N Mass Air Flow Testing Findings
K&N Mass Air Flow Sensor Test Results

IMO the extra 10 or so hp you get plus the extra 1-2 mpg plus the great sound the full intakes make is worth the 300 bucks. Personally I'll be buying a lift and tires first though. The most needed mod IMO.
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
sbougon
2008 KK Liberty 

I love mine.
sbougon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_Silver View Post
K&N Filters and Intakes are great. They increase engine efficiency (mpg) because they flow more air than the stock filter (reduces the work required from the engine) which also increases horsepower. A higher flowing exhaust will have a similar effect.

As for K&N oiled filters causing any kind of problems check out these links:

K&N Consumer Protection Pledge
K&N Mass Air Flow Testing Findings
K&N Mass Air Flow Sensor Test Results

IMO the extra 10 or so hp you get plus the extra 1-2 mpg plus the great sound the full intakes make is worth the 300 bucks. Personally I'll be buying a lift and tires first though. The most needed mod IMO.
Yeah what they don't tell you is higher flow = more dirt entering your engine,there's no way around that little fact and K&N's.Don't get me wrong if your dragging a Mustang in the NHRA a K&N is great,but daily driving a Jeep it's one of the worst things you can do.

Also why most company's void any warranty for the engine if any oiled air filters are used.
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
coder
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah what they don't tell you is higher flow = more dirt entering your engine,there's no way around that little fact and K&N's.Don't get me wrong if your dragging a Mustang in the NHRA a K&N is great,but daily driving a Jeep it's one of the worst things you can do.

Also why most company's void any warranty for the engine if any oiled air filters are used.
Mopar sells four-ply oiled cotton gauze air filters (made by AEM) same as K&N filters for most Jeeps, if maintained properly they work just fine.
mopar_highflow_filter.jpg  
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
PlaySmart
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Skip it, use the money on something else.

Its a Jeep, not a race car.

The "added power" won't hardly be noticeable.

And that added gas mileage, even if true, you can kiss that goodbye, most people drive more aggressively after a intake, just cause of the sound, and the thought that it really did give better HP.

I had a intake on my XJ and it sucked. Took it off, MPG increased, power seemingly increased, and it shifted better.....
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
gb0413

keep in mind if you put that air filter in you pretty much scrap your 3 year 30,000 bumper to bumper and 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
gb0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb0413 View Post
keep in mind if you put that air filter in you pretty much scrap your 3 year 30,000 bumper to bumper and 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
That depends on

A. The Dealer
B. The problem you are having with the Jeep, If your power mirrors stop working they cannot tie that a replacement air filter
C. Mopar has a filter as previously stated that IS oiled like the K&N.
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.