any issues driving with rear glass open? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > any issues driving with rear glass open?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

any issues driving with rear glass open?

I don't have any crossbars on my roof rails and I need to bring a 10ft ladder to my dad tomorrow. Any reason for concern with sticking it out the back with the glass open? I'm only going about 25 miles, at 55-60mph max. generally.

ArcticWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticWC
I don't have any crossbars on my roof rails and I need to bring a 10ft ladder to my dad tomorrow. Any reason for concern with sticking it out the back with the glass open? I'm only going about 25 miles, at 55-60mph max. generally.
I've done it plenty of times in my Libby and in my old grand Cherokee. You should be fine. Just make sure ladder isnt rubbing or Bouncing against the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

I do this several times per year. Usually when the weather is just right.

To get the dome lights to turn off and the warning to disappear, just push the latch in. Don't forget to release it when closing the flipper glass.
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

cool thanks dudes. kinda makes me wish the glass slid down into the rear hatch like 4runners do. I love that feature, but I drove a 4runner today at work and let me tell you, if you think the Liberty is slow off the line, try a 4runner for several more $thousands. That thing was so slow and didn't even seem to let you know you were gassing it.
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I did it once. Only to see what it would do with the skyslider open and windows down. Be careful with exhaust gas, I think that's what a few were mentioning. I didn't really like it because the glass moved with every bounce, but it won't do any damage.

Oh, as for the rear glass....that part of the reason why I loved the old full size Broncos lol.
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

I feel as far as exhaust gasses go, if I'm constantly moving then the gasses will always be left behind me. I live in a pretty uncongested area so there's not much idling at lights. Just wish there were a way to tether the glass to keep it flush with the roofline.

Also, this reminds me to ask. Anyone ever attach a spoiler/wind deflector to their KK like those seen on S10 Blazers? not so much a style point but to keep dust down off the rear window.
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

but the rattling/shaking is what I'm most concerned about. Don't want to wear out the gas struts prematurely.
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

your not doing this every day, I doubt doing this once will wear out you struts

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
Sandhara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticWC View Post
I feel as far as exhaust gasses go, if I'm constantly moving then the gasses will always be left behind me.
At highway speed there is a vacuum created behind the Jeep, well any brick shaped vehicle for that matter. That is why the rear always gets so dirty. Now, the open hatch may act as a sort of spoiler, exaggerating the effect. So, do be careful and keep the ventilation on... it will suck in exhaust gas.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

Around town and at highway speeds you will smell exhaust in tha cabin. I had asked about this last year and was told by everyone that I shouldn't do it because of the exhaust actually being sucked in the back window... I did it anyway, and I do it all the time. No problems with the struts so far, I'd just be careful on bumps as the glass will flip down some on the big ones. Exhaust gas has an odor to it, if you smell it a lot try venting it out by opening another window. Also, be VERY aware of how awake you feel. If you start to feel sleepy please pull over ASAP and get some fresh air. CO will make you tired - if you are getting sleepy you are getting more CO than you realize. FWIW, I've taken long highway trips with no problems at all.

As far as the window acting as a spoiler... don't worry about it. The wind at speed will push the back window down a little and will not be a problem.

Do it, you'll be fine. It really is nice to roll down all the windows and pop the rear glass in the summer for a nice refreshing ride.
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.